Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Detrum 3800 kv or Tarot 3500 kv?

I am doing a Tarot 450 Pro V 2 FBL build (my first ever). The kit came with the Tarot 3500 kv motor and the Tarot pentium 40A ESC. I have a new Detrum 3800 kv motor and a DETRUM ESC.
My question is, Which set would be best on the Tarot 450 pro?
slammer13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default try

try them both to see which is better
laurence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer13 View Post
I am doing a Tarot 450 Pro V 2 FBL build (my first ever). The kit came with the Tarot 3500 kv motor and the Tarot pentium 40A ESC. I have a new Detrum 3800 kv motor and a DETRUM ESC.
I recently build the same kit. A very nice kit BTW.

I have a Scorpion 2221-8 motor in mine which is a 3595kv motor. With this motor, a 12 tooth pinion and the stock 150 tooth main gear it makes for a nice head speed for advance aerobatics at 100% throttle. It has enough power for a fast climb out but still gives me about 5 minutes of aggressive flying. The head speed is about 3100-3200 at 100%.

If you don't want a lot of head speed and power I would go with the 3500kv motor. If you want a lot of power go with the 3800kv motor. Since you have both motors I would start with the 3500kv motor with a 12T pinion and see how you like it. If you want more you can either go with a 13T pinion or swap in the 3800.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was using the Detrum 3800 motor for a short while and it seemed okay, but never got around to pushing it very hard... no pitch pumps and only flying circuits. It was cool running, but eventually I decided it would be better to run a lower KV motor and use a bigger pinion. Get the 450MX motor if you can, or the Turnigy NTM 450 series.

The problem with Detrum stuff is that it can be cheap. I got the motor with a Detrum controller and the ESC burned up while I was trying to program it!
mcarter76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a new Detrum 3800 kv motor and a DETRUM ESC.
You can keep the motor but ditch that ESC, there's too much risk of it failing during flight. There might be good Detrum ESCs out there, but why leave it to chance?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^ He has a Tarot 3500 motor along with a Tarot pentium 40A ESC in addition to the Detrum motor and ESC. I don't see why he should go and buy another ESC and motor?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
^ He has a Tarot 3500 motor along with a Tarot pentium 40A ESC in addition to the Detrum motor and ESC. I don't see why he should go and buy another ESC and motor?
Ah I misread that. Yeah then the Tarot ESC should be fine. And both of those motors will work too.

The Detrum ESC personally did not work for me out of the box and smoke came out of it in programming mode. So I felt that part was worth mentioning. That's not to say that I may have programmed it wrong as my Futaba radio has a reverse throttle input etc and that wasn't something the futaba manual had any warnings about.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter76 View Post
Ah I misread that. Yeah then the Tarot ESC should be fine. And both of those motors will work too.

The Detrum ESC personally did not work for me out of the box and smoke came out of it in programming mode. So I felt that part was worth mentioning. That's not to say that I may have programmed it wrong as my Futaba radio has a reverse throttle input etc and that wasn't something the futaba manual had any warnings about.
That's not good.

I am using a Hobbyking YEP 45 amp ESC in my heli. I got it for $19 with a buddycode I found. It's a very nice ESC. It's got a built in governor, active free-wheeling, 6 amp switching BEC along with many other things and is fully programmable with a $5 programming card.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

tarot over detrum every day
I had a detrum esc catch fire and take down a heli
detrum is low budget junk

I might have a detrum 3500kv still around from a combo x-heli sent me
I reviewed it on line and junked the servos, the esc caught fire and the motor I just benched. The motor is really under powered
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got the Tarot SC set & it came with a 14t & a 3800 Kv motor. This seems like it would be crazy fast in my mind. Would I be wise to use a 12t or perhaps 13t with it instead? I also have a spare Alzrc 3500 kv motor here with a 12 & 13t for it. Should iuse that instead?

Thx,

Cam
qcman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I just got the Tarot SC set & it came with a 14t & a 3800 Kv motor. This seems like it would be crazy fast in my mind. Would I be wise to use a 12t or perhaps 13t with it instead? I also have a spare Alzrc 3500 kv motor here with a 12 & 13t for it. Should iuse that instead?

Thx,

Cam
Yes, a 14T pinion and a 3800kv motor is going to result in a very high head speed unless you lower the throttle curve a lot. (which isn't ideal)

I would use a 12T pinion if I were you.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default motor and ESC setup

Wow... Thanks guys for all the info. Very helpful. This is what i decided: Detrum 3800kv, 14 T pinion with the Tarot Pentium 40A ESC. What do you guys think? I am using this just to set up the heli, I will eventually go with higher end ESC and motor once i get the hang of flying. Any suggestions?
I have another question, this might sound stupid but keep in mind i am very new to this.
I bought the Walkera Devo 12S transmitter that came with a devo RX1202 receiver. Do i use this receiver and the Tarot ZYX system?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, a 14T pinion and a 3800kv motor is going to result in a very high head speed unless you lower the throttle curve a lot. (which isn't ideal)

I would use a 12T pinion if I were you.
Ok thx I think I have one that will work with it.

Cam
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Wow... Thanks guys for all the info. Very helpful. This is what i decided: Detrum 3800kv, 14 T pinion with the Tarot Pentium 40A ESC. What do you guys think? I am using this just to set up the heli, I will eventually go with higher end ESC and motor once i get the hang of flying. Any suggestions?
I have another question, this might sound stupid but keep in mind i am very new to this.
I bought the Walkera Devo 12S transmitter that came with a devo RX1202 receiver. Do i use this receiver and the Tarot ZYX system?
What head speed do you want? A 14T pinion and 3800kv motor will give you a head speed of about 3900 rpm at 100% throttle. Which if you ask me is way too high.

The Tarot ZYX will work with any receiver you have as long as it is a 6 channel or greater. I have a ZYX in my 450 and like it a lot. It is a bit trickier to set up but once going is great.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What head speed do you want? A 14T pinion and 3800kv motor will give you a head speed of about 3900 rpm at 100% throttle. Which if you ask me is way too high.

The Tarot ZYX will work with any receiver you have as long as it is a 6 channel or greater. I have a ZYX in my 450 and like it a lot. It is a bit trickier to set up but once going is great.
Funtana, I have know idea what head speed i should have, i figured more is better... I do have a 12T pinion that i can use. Let me get this right the ESC connects to the devo RX1202 receiver connects to the ZYX, servos to the ZYX? Reason i ask is none of this came with instructions and i have no clue. I am the type that needs an illustration ....any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

^ I would just use your 12t with it if you have one already & that will be better. thats what I'm going to do as recommended here by Funtana.

Cam
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Funtana, I have know idea what head speed i should have, i figured more is better... I do have a 12T pinion that i can use. Let me get this right the ESC connects to the devo RX1202 receiver connects to the ZYX, servos to the ZYX? Reason i ask is none of this came with instructions and i have no clue. I am the type that needs an illustration ....any help would be appreciated.
A higher head speed will make the heli more twitchy and responsive. It will make the controls more sensitive to inputs. It is also harder on the motor, esc and battery and will result in shorter flight times.

I would take a look at this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=487400

It is a very indepth build thread on the Tarot 450 Pro V2 FBL kit.

The ESC has three sets of wires coming out of it. First there is a servo lead that plugs into the receiver on the throttle port. Next there is a red and black wire that the battery plugs into. Lastly there will be three wires that the motor plugs into.

The 3 swash plate servos and the tail servo will plug into the ZYX.

The ZYX comes with servo extension wires that connect the ZYX to the receiver.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the tarot 3800kv and tarot pentium 40esc in my tarot and works well, Admittedly Im thinking of changing the pinion to a 12 from 13t as my flight times are only around 3.30. So im hoping it will give me a lil more flight time. But definatley stay away from Detrum
Diggiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default detrum motor

Thanks guys for all the info.
To be honest the detrum when i spin the shaft by hand feels tighter than the tarot motor. the tarot motor is real loose and free compared to the detrum motor. i don't know if this makes a difference. now i am struggling with the ZYX initial set up. i did the binding with the TX Devo 12 S and the Devo Rx1202. Do i have to also bind the TX to the ZYX or how does that work? I tried doing the manual setup of the servo type, swash plate etc. (push pin and set button on ZYX) with the transmitter then plugged in the servos to center them up (servos not installed on heli) but when i move the aileron stick none of the servos move. move the throttle and all 3 swash servos move and the tail servo is really reactive to the slightest rudder stick movement. needles to say i did not center the servo arms yet until i get the ZYX set and configured right.I have an USB cable on oder to hook the ZYX to my PC, hoping i can do the set up with this. ???????? There is a good bit of info on setting up the ZYX gyro but none using the Walkera Devo 12 S Radio.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool UPDATE ON TAROT ESC (BURNT UP)

My Tarot 450 pro fbl V2 HELI is about 95 % complete on the build. Finally figured out the wiring and set up of the electronics (thx Funtana). Really thanks to all of you guys for all the info. It was a big help. I hope i get to pass some this on to other newbie's one day.
I did a short test spool up and within 5 seconds the Tarot 40A ESC "BURNED UP" !!!!!
During the test spool up the Tarot ESC got very hot and went into auto shut off. After letting it cool down i tried to do another spool up test but when i plugged the battery in the ESC would do nothing. So i swapped it out and installed the Detrum 40A ESC, went through the set up and bam!!! it works great. After this experience i do not trust either the Tarot or the Detrum ESC. I ordered the YEP 45A ESC, programming card and a Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 2839-3600kv motor from HobbyKing.com. I also ordered the orange swash plate, orange tail thrust and a few other items from Dave at Tarot-rc-heli.com I am waiting on for Dave to get the orange Tarot FBL DFC head in, at the time i made my order he was out of stock (these must be flying off the shelf).
Here is my setup so for:

ZYX Gyro (no updated firmware)
Devo RX1202 receiver
Devo 12S transmitter
Detrum 3800kv motor w/14T pinion (ordered the Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 2839-3600kv) (still have the new Tarot 3500kv also??)
Henge MD933 digital swash servo's
Henge MD922 digital tail servo (bought from Dave)
Detrum 40A ESC (upgrading to YEP 45A ESC)
NO MAIDEN FLIGHT YET I STILL HAVE SOME PROGRAMMING TO DO ON THE GYRO AND WAITING FOR THE NEW UPGRADED PARTS I ORDERED......

Do any of you guys have good reports on the Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 2839-3600kv motor?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in