Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

yes..as sad as it is to say...i may be MORE OCD than him...lmfao..i HATE slop..i hate plastic..and i believe if you cant make something within .001" why bother? *grins* and i would be glad to get ya the perfect piece of tail my friend! (was i permitted to say that?) lmao...I really enjoy making stuff for guys who appreciate it...
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
Its great that you are able to work with HH so closely to get exactly the tail you want. I assume he has ocd as bad as you or else he probably would have stopped responding to you weeks ago

Im hoping he would be willing to make a tail like yours for me, it really does look crazy nice! When do you plan on getting the 4 blade version back and setup? I want to see more pictures of your overall project
It is actually an honor and privelage to have gotten to know Helihaven. Oddly we think alike on about everything, since competent solutions will almost always lead one down the same paths. Plus I have learned a ton from him along the way.

As far as the raised tail goes, pm him and let him know what you are trying to do and what you want. He is now building them for lots of us. An easy simple setup would be his Vs1 tail that is on this heli in the thread. His Vs2 tail is far more involved and is a serious mechanical work of art, but worth every bloody penny. I have an order in for another one on my 12s stretched trex project. There is simply no slop, not a hint, anywhere. I actually spent an entire evening just breaking in the dual control arm slider on it, Fantastic!

I can truly say they transformed the entire performance level of the helis they are on..

The whole raised tail project has boiled down to quality Vs everything kind of mentality. Where do you draw the line economically for perfection? And how many guys actually will care enough to try one? It is easy to cut corners and try different cheaper parts. Which I have to say I have done on the Vs1 tail as my working testbed. Each move where I introduced a part not personally made by helihaven himself, such as numerous sliders I tested and grips. Resulted in abysmal and costly overall performance failures.

I know he is still working on trying to come up with a more economical two blade tail system. Just finding a threaded 5mm slider arm has proven to be daunting. Not a single slider bushing I tested from any known manufacturer has proven to be an answer. They are all sloppy, every single one. Including the highly vaunted microheli version. The 4 blade is next! Not sure how it can be better as the holding power of the three bladed version is ungodly. No matter what I do I cannot get my personal stretched B to blow out. And it is regurlarly flown at speeds easily over 100.

All my helis are testbeds. I don't think any one of them has stayed the same for more than two weeks at a time, and I am constantly trying new things to improve their performance. The only thing that has stayed static so far is the Sk720 which I adore. What a brilliant bloody fbl system out of all the systems I have flown.

I considered myself an average pilot for my experience level. Before I flew the Sk720. It made me look good, really good. And it can take a quality heli that is well put together and make it fly in ways that are simply stunning.

You build one of these with one of those, and you now have a true dream machine that will be capible of outflying just about any pilot.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha, one fine piece of tail it is Definitely would want your latest and greatest incarnation with the 4 blade head. Im thinking with all the weight I have added to my project (frame addons,6s, etc) this will be a nice way to get some weight in the tail. that combined with a perfectly level rotor plane and top notch workmanship sure makes for a hell of a time at the field I am sure! I look forward to getting mine
Deftronix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha, one fine piece of tail it is Definitely would want your latest and greatest incarnation with the 4 blade head. Im thinking with all the weight I have added to my project (frame addons,6s, etc) this will be a nice way to get some weight in the tail. that combined with a perfectly level rotor plane and top notch workmanship sure makes for a hell of a time at the field I am sure! I look forward to getting mine
You got yours stretched as well?...if not, you know thats the very next step...*evil grin*
Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

That came before the 6s mod. Running the 388mm cf boom off the Gazaur 480 with a G5 tail currently. Although it has yet to get any airtime
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

ahhhh ok..a baby stretch....*grins* yah you could use a little bit more tail on her..

I'm running a 642mxl belt on mine...lol
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not until I go through those custom belts that cost me $30 to have shipped haha. Should still be able to run the 350's with your tail you think? You running a 12mm dia boom or mod it for 14?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That came before the 6s mod. Running the 388mm cf boom off the Gazaur 480 with a G5 tail currently. Although it has yet to get any airtime
Geez, a G5. Those are worth their weight in gold compared to any other stock config tail system out there. I even run their slightly modified grips and hubs on all my two blade setups with ceramics. Tracking perfection!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Not until I go through those custom belts that cost me $30 to have shipped haha. Should still be able to run the 350's with your tail you think? You running a 12mm dia boom or mod it for 14?
Lollz, that is why I ordered 10 belts at a time when I did it. Then spread the ripoff shipping costs around with the other guys that needed them at the time.

Both us are talking of upgrading to 14mm booms to utilize the fatter new B450 tail hub. This widens the tail shaft support bearings way out apart from each other and tightens up the shaft tolerances so it cannot wobble. HH pmd me this morning on it. Another reason to tear down my whole heli again.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

gonna need a longer belt for the raised tail...not quite sure on the exact math..but with the tail at a 45 degree angle...you dont gain as much usable stretch with the same length of belt. i can make it a more rakished like my own personal one..its like 37 degrees...but principle is still the same. if i remember right LMH *almost* could run his 420mm's with a stock 500 belt...and giving yourself a good inch or so between rotor disks...that would probably be your best bet...and still give ya room to run 385's if ya wanted later with no tail changes...
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #31 (permalink)

yah...you need to send me some measurements on your boom clamps so i can see if its possible on a B400...i can do it on the T450 with some creative machining...what is the distance from bolt hole center to bolt hole center on one of the clamps? and how wide is it between the frames Randy?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
12mm boom ATM....i'm really considering this 14mm upgrade me and LMH have been discussing though...but if i did that...i might as well go ahead and bite the bullet and drop my boom lower and do away with that vibe causing counter gear/pulley setup and have my belt come straight off of the auto drive itself...my poor 450 aint gonna look anything like a stocker after that...lol
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahh okay, I thought it was a two belt setup from looking at the pictures, my mistake. New belts it will have to be .

Wow! Didnt realize you guys were trying to swing blades upto 420mm , no wonder you consider mine a baby stretch, lol. I like the idea of <45 degree as you would need more material and length on the tail frame itself to make the rotor plane level with the head , which might help weigh things down in the rear.

As far as the 14mm boom mod on the b400, there is not much material there to bore out on the boom clamps, it will definitely be a close call.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Yah its probably gonna be like the t450 in that respect...it can be done..just have to make all new ones though. BTW we arent trying..both of us run 420's..i have ran 500mm but stripped my main gears...420 is about the limit to do it safely...plus the current draw was outrageous..even at 2400rpm..was pulling 18 amps in a hover...on 6s
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

i can make it weigh out whatever ya want...*grins*..within reason anyhow...its gonna weight AT LEAST 50 grams though i imagine..
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helihaven View Post
yah...you need to send me some measurements on your boom clamps so i can see if its possible on a B400...i can do it on the T450 with some creative machining...what is the distance from bolt hole center to bolt hole center on one of the clamps? and how wide is it between the frames Randy?
The actual inside width of the carbonfibre B400 frame is 20mm. Exactly. Plenty of room. I will pm you with the bottom hole clamp location as this is critical, access is through the panel. And the panel area is the weakest on the heli here due to some moron installing a large unneeded hole right in the middle of each side. On mine, I doubled up the upper body panels to compensate for this. However, if the plates extend down far enough to clear the body panels where the clamping bolts are? We need about 21mm from the top down to hit the clamp access holes or 27mm to clear the bottom of the side plates.

And Btw: Here is a link to the latest pics of the fbl version running the 420s and the Vs2 raised tail.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...51#post3930151

Last edited by Luvmyhelis; 05-10-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do they flip/roll with the stretch and raised tail?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Helihaven, have you ever considered making a tail setup thats 12mm and end mounts like a stocker?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartHeli View Post
Helihaven, have you ever considered making a tail setup thats 12mm and end mounts like a stocker?

You mean a non-raise...but still have the dual link slider arms and anti-rotation pin?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #40 (permalink)

.... double post

Last edited by helihaven; 05-10-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in