Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #561 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Rookie View Post
I have read through the posts on the original FP450 and the FBL and I am convinced this is the build I want to do. I have ordered the FP parts and am waiting for them to arrive (along with the new 450 kit). I am super excited to get the gear in so I can begin the build.

I am going to go with the FB for now and maybe build a FBL on the 2nd go around. Even after reading through all of this I am sure I will have a ton of questions for all the vets and I am planning to pick your brains often during the build and setup.

Thanks to everyone for posting your pics and tips - it is a wealth of knowledge.

Hope to post pics of my build soon!!!
You cant go wrong with this helicopter once its set up right and if you need help you got the best in Hank.

Last edited by hydmech; 02-16-2012 at 08:45 PM..
hydmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #562 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I have seen. It looks like HH, ATC and Johnny are the resident experts for this build . I plan to use their brain power alot during the build and setup.

I decided to use a 120 swash though - I have a dx6 so I can changed it from 120 to 90 no problem. Just like the look of the 120 for some reason, not sure why.

Everything has shipped, the 450 is assembled (again) and just waiting for the FC parts to arrive. Got it originally as a CP but after 3 builds and 0 flights I am hoping to give her new life as a FP bird.

Like a Phoenix it will rise from the wreckage, one day........
450Rookie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #563 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK - finally got all of the parts in (flybar was late getting in) and gave it a test flight tonight. When it takes off it tends to slowly turn to the left and it dips forward and left as well. The swash looks level to me so I don't think it's that. Any ideas?

Also - how do you have your throttle curve setup? Did you leave it at 0-25-50-75-100 or did you change it to something less to keep the head speed down?

Thanks again to everyone who lead the charge on this very cool mod.
450Rookie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #564 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH Whats been happening, i've been busy in the shop the last few weeks trying to develop my new 450FP/ ICE. Completely new head design. We'll i've got it to a point where I put it on the test bench last night then again tonight.Spooled it up, half throttle and she's smooth as silk. After that she starts rattling back and fourth like crazy, back it down and normal. Well after some test runs tonite, she decides to throw a main rotor grip, looks like a feathering shaft screw loosend up, even after being Loctited in, not a happy #$%# camper right about now. But looking for some insite as to why she would be rattling like that.
Basics
HK450 V2 frame
2640KV motor / 11th pinion
12 tooth tail driver sheave.
401b gyro clone
Emax ES9257 tail servo 34.7oz
Regular 450 fiberglass blades @ 6deg of pitch.
Pictures coming forth, still cant find my camera.

Ice
icecycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #565 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are a couple of pictures of my new head design before the pop.

Simple with some bugs to iron out.

Ice
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #566 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ice When I was doing this to the 450 and 500 if it's sounds like it is going to shake it's self part ,that was not enough pitch. the modded fc head that I sent HH he went with 10 degrees. I also run 10 on my 500 fp with 425mm blades.
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #567 (permalink)
Registered Users

At first i thought maybe I overdrove the tail by kicking it up to a twelve tooth sheave, But it makes sense to try to adjust the pitch up some to eight or ten. I was considering that because I noticed that there was not enough lift when I pushed the throttle. Not like the previous 450FP/FC build. That one I could feel the air coming off the bottom of the blades. I am going to rebuild the #$% up after dinner tonight and give it another shot. Thanks for the input.
Ice
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #568 (permalink)
Registered Users

JC Wow what a difference, I didnt have much battery left but after I did change the pitch to 10 deg, it really made the difference. I bumped it up to just 3/4 throttle and she was smooth as silk again throughout that whole throttle range to there. Now to just set up the gyro to hold it, we'll be in great shape.

Thanks again

Ice
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #569 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad that was it. It's a fine line. Not enough it won't get off the ground, to much pitch and it will over heat esc and motor. Just have to find the sweet spot. Looking forward to the video's once you get it going.
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #570 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yahoo found the camera, here are a couple of shots of the new man cave. After 7 months of flood damage repair.

Finally done and enjoying it for sure.

Ice

Last edited by icecycler; 03-05-2012 at 07:12 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #571 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are a couple of the new bird:

About six weeks of work, including machining time. Now to iron out the bugs and wait for good weather.

Ice
Old 03-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #572 (permalink)
Registered Users

Starting to assemble my 450fp machine and want to check with you experienced folks if once I get the tail mounted that when I turn the main gear it seem very "gritty". It smooth until I connect the belt up, doesn't matter the tension of the belt. Could the belt be twisted inside the tube........little difficult to see inside there.

Thanks for the help.
jburg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #573 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would bet your belt is twisted
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #574 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, twisted belt. Took the tail off and played with twisting till it ran smooth. Now if I would ever get my parts from HobbyKing. Approaching two months!!! Something that is also bothering me, the ESC has three outputs, the motor has three inputs and nothing is labeled. How do you hook them up?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #575 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fixed Pitch 450 VOL 2…Featuring the Flybarless FP450

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburg View Post
Yup, twisted belt. Took the tail off and played with twisting till it ran smooth. Now if I would ever get my parts from HobbyKing. Approaching two months!!! Something that is also bothering me, the ESC has three outputs, the motor has three inputs and nothing is labeled. How do you hook them up?
Hello jburg, just connect those wires, there is no specific order. If the motor turns the wrong way just swap any two.
Chipped Rotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #576 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got the new 450/FP gyro synced right. Now hopefully next is maiden flight this upcoming weekend weather permitting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ice
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #577 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think my HobbyKing order just came in. Got a notice in the mail to come pick up a package from HK. Its only takin 2 months to get the parts..............
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #578 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I did receive my order. I assumed the motors would have come with connectors...darn. Now to place another order....not from China tho. Like to get them this year.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #579 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg, did you have the stuff on backorder is that why it took so long. Usually I get my stuff withing 10-14 days. As far as motor wiring to ESC, easiest is to connect center wire to center then connect outer wires, like ChippedRotor said than switch the outer two if rotation is opposite the way you need it.
Ice
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #580 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Almost there

Hankster I am towards the end of my 450 FP build and I am stumped. After installing my 3 servos I have been able to get them all to work in concert except one function. When I move my elevator up or down I can not get the pitch servo to respond.aileron does fine but pitch does not move . Pitch does respond properly to left right.
I suspect I have not given you enough info but any help would be appreciated. Mark
whirlynerd1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in