Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question T-Rex 500EFL Pro first real FBL?

I have a situation that I'm trying to decide on. I have a new in box still sealed T-Rex 500E Super Combo that I have the option to return it and get the 500EFL Pro and pay the difference. My concern is that I've only flown my little mCPX that is FBL and the 500EFL would be my first bigger FBL heli. I want a T-Rex 500 size heli that I can use to get better flying but since I'm not a real good flyer I'm concerned that I'm getting ahead of my self going FBL rather than a normal FB head. I've had a Blade 400 and Protos 500 and could fly them both but got rid of the 400 because I was always having to tweak it to fly right and the Protos I didn't have local parts support. So it comes down to do I just keep the 500E...build it...fly it and get better flying and then go FBL when my skills/confidence in flying are better or just start with the 500EFL? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

I say go fbl all the way. Easy to set up, fewer mechanical parts, better in the wind, and you said yourself you would eventually end up fbl so might as well start there.

I went straight from the mCP X to a 500 3G, and then to the Efl Pro, have never looked back and couldn't be happier.
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypole View Post
I say go fbl all the way. Easy to set up, fewer mechanical parts, better in the wind, and you said yourself you would eventually end up fbl so might as well start there.

I went straight from the mCP X to a 500 3G, and then to the Efl Pro, have never looked back and couldn't be happier.
Thanks for the reply. Few mechanical parts is one thing I noticed on the 500EFL which I liked. The only other small concern I had was the difference between the TT and belt driven tail. With the belt driven tail it would be more forgiving if you make contact with the tail blades unintentionally. With the TT I would expect that you would strip the TT drive gears... Only experience I have with TT driven tails is on my MA Spectra G gasser.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

You could either put some 3mm spacers on the rear skid mounts to raise the tail up just a bit, or just use skids from the 600 which not only raises the whole heli but gives you a really stable platform until you get more comfortable.

The larger, more forgiving platform provided by the 600 skids also comes in handy when you have an un-planned auto due to a magnet seperation in the motor.

Ask me how I know!
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can handle the MCPx with out putting it in you will have no problem with the 500 efl its way more stable than the MCPx. It flies better stays locked in tail dose not blow out like the MCPx. For me it would be a no brainer buy the EFL. Its their newest design and built very solid and has all the upgraded parts. Etc. Send it back...
leedawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go FBL. Thank us later.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Switch it out for sure!
gravydrive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again.....I asked the guys at the LHS awhile ago about trading my 500E for the 500EFL and they told me to stay with the Flybar head if I planned on getting into 3D at some point. Is there still a big debate between FB and FBL heads as far as which one is better for 3D? The 500EFL Pro does have a cleaner look and even though it is more expensive initially crash cost should be a little cheaper I would think. Is that a fare assessment? Also...where is everyone mounting the ESC? Under the battery tray or on the side of the frame? And one last question for now....when mounting the 3GX does anyone use ZEAL tape for vibration absorbent rather than double sided sticky tape? What you would use when mounting a gyro.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few facts you want to consider when making your choice.

FBL is more stable, is more efficient, and is more wind resistant. I have the EFL and was a flybar guy till a few months ago. The hype is true. The FBL systems due a good job of improving the flight characteristics of a heli.

FBL is very easy to mechanically set up.

FBL will hold it's value longer if you ever sell.

I am not sure about crash costs but they do crash different....imho. Instead of replacing head parts you end up replacing gear sets. Tit for tat in my book so crash costs don't sway me one way or another. One thing is certain, after a crash the head set up is simpler than a flybarred heli.

I mounted my ESC per the instructions under the battery tray. I am on 50 flights or so and there have been no issues.

Be sure your tail comes with the shims. That is the only "upgrade" needed for the bird to perform outstanding.

I am not familiar with the 3GX and the Zeal tape. All of my FBL are BeastX with 3M outdoor tape. On my flybarred machines I use Futaba gyro tape on my Futaba gyros.

As far as stability, you will be impressed. Compared to the MCPX, FBL 450's, and such - the 500 EFL just sits there and waits for you to tell it what to do then it does it with a tremendous amount of power and dexterity. I got tickled with my son. He feels the EFL is a mix between the 450 pro fbl and the 600 fb he has flown. The 500 EFL is as nimble as the 450 and has the stability close to the 600 fb due to the fbl system.

You won't regret it.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

tomd27858....Thanks for the detailed feedback. Right now I'm checking into getting a 500EFL Super Pro without the 3GX flybarless unit and then use the new AR7200BX.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are very welcome. If you have any questions, just give a shout. The EFL forum is full of great guys always willing to lend a hand.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Right now I'm checking into getting a 500EFL Super Pro without the 3GX flybarless unit and then use the new AR7200BX.
Excellent choice!
hndaluvr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Thanks again.....I asked the guys at the LHS awhile ago about trading my 500E for the 500EFL and they told me to stay with the Flybar head if I planned on getting into 3D at some point.
That's a rediculous statement from your hobby shop, fbl is superior imo and all the major players manufacturing helis these days are going fbl.
I have owned all versions of the Trex 500, unless you are really tight on funds you want the 500 efl pro! I also believe a flybared heli is more difficult to setup, there is much more to repair in a crash and takes more power to spin all those extra parts. In the end the choice is yours, do you want VHS or DVD?
rotaryguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryguy View Post
That's a rediculous statement from your hobby shop, fbl is superior imo and all the major players manufacturing helis these days are going fbl.
I have owned all versions of the Trex 500, unless you are really tight on funds you want the 500 efl pro! I also believe a flybared heli is more difficult to setup, there is much more to repair in a crash and takes more power to spin all those extra parts. In the end the choice is yours, do you want VHS or DVD?
Very accurate!

+1
Old 02-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's like buying a car with drum brakes a carburetor and no abs as your first car because you're still learning to drive. Lol. The LHS probably doesn't want you to return that 500e cause they'll have a hard time selling it.
Zorgnot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Does anyone know if there is a 500EFL model in Phoenix Sin? I'm running version 3.0s. Another thing I was looking into is that I have two sets of standard 425 main blades. Can these be used with a FBL heli? I've never figured out if there was a difference between FB and FBL main blades. IMHO... I would think there wouldn't be a difference. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fbl blades are weighted differently than fb blades
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryguy View Post
+1000000000
return that outdated heli pronto. FBL much easier to learn 3d as it's much more stable in the air vs FB. I hate putting together a FB head after a crash and the setup is ridiculous.
T-rex 600EFL V-bar T-rex 700E V-Bar
magbarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgnot View Post
Fbl blades are weighted differently than fb blades
What is a good economical set of FBL blades?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Idk about cheap, the align ones are probably the cheapest. I like Radix. Haven't tried edge yet, but a lot of people use them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in