Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question turning a heli properly

hi all what is the proper way to turn a heli.i always seems to pull back in my turns slowing the heli down. any tips.
cdkoho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use aileron and a tiny bit of rudder
Mutt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use rudder and a tiny bit of aileron!

Are you coming from a plank background?? Most plankers tend to "bank and yank" just using the right stick for changes in direction. Heli's need ALOT more input on the rudder stick to coordinate a nice turn.

I read once....-
Airplanes you lead with aileron and follow with rudder.
Heli's you lead with rudder and follow with aileron.
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

No elevator?

I always have to use a little elevator in the sim (I'm not doing forward flight yet with the real thing) to maintain altitude. This is exactly the same as when I was flying planes, both real and model.

Neccesary to compensate for some of the lift going into transverse motion. Not a lot, but some.

So, at least when I turn on a sim, to perform a really good, coordinated turn, I use some initial aileron and elevator along with some rudder; when the turn is underway, maintaining altitude, A/E input is virtually zero, with constant rudder input to keep the turn coordinated; then opposite A and no rudder to level out when done.

Of course there are constant small adjustments with A/E throughout the turn to compensate for perturbations from wind and stuff, but that's not actually part of the turn control input (it's no different than what you have to do hovering or flying straight on).
Dr. Memory is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Depends on the setup. I have two helicopters that I fly regularly. One helicopter I have to pull back a bit while banking in a turn or the speed will increase. The other helicopter I have to give it a little forward cyclic while banking in the turn or it will pitch up and lose speed. I don't feel a person should get too wrapped up in what is the "right" inputs. Just give the inputs it takes to make nice smooth level banking turn. If that means you have to stand on your head while balancing trained seals on a ball, so be it.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

first off you dont need to add a lot of other crap for scale cordinated turns. do a search on my posts before you want to try and insult me I fly scale only the OP never said what kind of flying he does he asked for the proper way to turn a heli I DO NOT have to apply any elevator on my scale ships to make a nice cordinated turn. so enjoy your foot in your mouth you fool.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
first off you dont need to add a lot of other crap for scale cordinated turns. do a search on my posts before you want to try and insult me I fly scale only the OP never said what kind of flying he does he asked for the proper way to turn a heli I DO NOT have to apply any elevator on my scale ships to make a nice cordinated turn. so enjoy your foot in your mouth you fool.
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect...yeah right.
Mike66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Back down. Nobody said you were wrong. They just gave their opinion and asked you a question. No reason to jump down somebody's throat, and nobody put their foot in their mouth except for you.

As far as turning goes, on my helis, I do need to provide a little bit of elevator, otherwise I will lose altitude. It also depends on if I'm trying to keep speed, or coming out of a turn to a slow approach.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do a turn with GYRO in NORMAL mode and your scale ships will do a proper balanced turn as we say in full scale flying. I am from a plank background and found it difficult to do balanced turns while in HH mode, but the minute I did it in NORMAL mode it reacted and responded like a plank. I get commented on my co-ordinated turns and my local club...
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Is that directed at me??

You need to chill out. Thats so far out of left field I don't even know where or why you got all butt hurt.
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

You've got to play with the power in a turn as well. When you bank to begin a turn, you're changing the lift vector and as such, you have to add power to maintain altitude. This added power will also help pull the heli through the turn without a decay in airspeed. It's no different in models than full scale.

A model with its gyro in HH will require more TR input to maintain coordinated flight than a model with its gyro in rate mode.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'm just going to ignore the flames and continue with this thread.

I think many plankers take for granted that they always have forward thrust, so "bank and yank" seems natural to do when they start flying helis. A leveled-off or pitched-up plank will still move forward; a leveled-off or pitched up heli will hover or fly backwards, respectively.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am a noob, but here is my normal turn process that I get pretty smooth turns from. This is for a left banking turn.

I start with a little left cyclic (until the heli starts to get to the attitude I want), now I control the turn with my rudder more. I try and keep my tail a little below horizontal in the turn and that keeps me from dropping altitude. Now, while in the turn I am gradually rotating my cyclic more towards rear cyclic to bring the nose through the turn and then as I start to get to where I want to be heading I continue bringing my cyclic around towards the right to flatten the heli out of the turn and then slowly towards front to keep the heli from rising and keep it going forward. The motion I make with my cyclic is sort of like "G". It will be either forwards or reverse depending upon the direction of the turn, but it works great for my turns both in the sim and real life. Just make sure you end the "G" at the top instead of finishing.
rockjock3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike66 View Post
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect...yeah right.
Dont like reading what a person says they have a wonderful thing here its called ignore use it. Also I am not here for friends etc so dont spew that crap off.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Dont like reading what a person says they have a wonderful thing here its called ignore use it. Also I am not here for friends etc so dont spew that crap off.
Well, you're doing a bang up job of not making any. Maybe you should consider another forum for your anti-friend making efforts...

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

In a plank you increase lift by adding back pressure to the elevator to increase angle of attack.

In a heli you increase lift by adding more collective to increase angle of attack.

In both, when you add angle of attack, you increase drag, so you have to add power to maintain the airfoil speed (in plank the actual speed of the aircraft, in heli the rotor speed).
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ban my ass see if I care. Nothing here but a bunch of whining crybabys. I see why mark ryder banned half of the jackass's here bunch of craybabys and jerks.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
ban my ass see if I care. Nothing here but a bunch of whining crybabys. I see why mark ryder banned half of the jackass's here bunch of craybabys and jerks.
Interesting..
Old 10-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The words 'pot', 'kettle' and 'black' come to mind.

Anyway, interesing topic apart from the playground stuff. I guess there will benvariations on technique depending on the type of flying being done, balance and setup of the heli, etc.
spooky69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

CagedVR6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in