Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Odin and 3D+

Odin and 3D+ Compass Odin and 3D+ Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users ):>

Default Beastx users need pics.

I would like to find out where I can mount a beastx. It looks like I could mount on the CF tray. But I've seen in here you cant. Are people using it on the cf tray, that would be easier than putting on the servos for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't post a pic right at the moment, but mine is on its side just above the right servo (from rear) The corner of the BX where the frame angles down is exposed and off the frame, but there is still plenty (more) that is stuck to the frame and solid. I got the idea from Skunkworx, his is the same as far as I know.
Works good! no issues. I've been thinking of mounting out back on the CF tray but I really don't feel like running wires the length of the frame.
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have it mounted on the carbon gyro tray up top with no problems. With the stock canopy it clears just fine. Now the wierd thing, I have a plain white canopy from Nankin, so I was assuming that they are the same canopy from the same manufacturer. Spent two weeks airbrushing it after work, got it out to the field, mounted it for the first time and it wouldn't clear. Bummer. I don't know which one is wrong. I think I'm going to do the vertical mount on the side of the frame, above the rudder servo now. The battery tray where I had it for a while is to flimsy and seemed to pick up strange vibrations. I have also been thinking of cutting down an Align 600N battery tray to fit in it. They seem to be a little more rigid.
Compass 7HV
pete best is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete best View Post
I have it mounted on the carbon gyro tray up top with no problems. With the stock canopy it clears just fine. Now the wierd thing, I have a plain white canopy from Nankin, so I was assuming that they are the same canopy from the same manufacturer. Spent two weeks airbrushing it after work, got it out to the field, mounted it for the first time and it wouldn't clear. Bummer. I don't know which one is wrong. I think I'm going to do the vertical mount on the side of the frame, above the rudder servo now. The battery tray where I had it for a while is to flimsy and seemed to pick up strange vibrations. I have also been thinking of cutting down an Align 600N battery tray to fit in it. They seem to be a little more rigid.
Take the canopy mount and move it to the outside of the canopy underneath the nose. That often allows for the clearance needed for a front mount.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both of mine mounted on the side as Down Low said. I will be putting an AR7200BX on one of them though because I feel that the wires running through the frame on my "little" one is causing some interactions. The "Big" one has the top aileron servo mounted incorrectly so there's a lot more room behind it to fit the wires and it doesn't have the same issue. (Yeah, yeah, yeah....I'm too lazy to correct it , but it does fly ok with it like that. It just has binding on some of the links).

I don't think I have any pics available otherwise I'd post them. Hopefully I can get on the AR7200 swap from my 6HV done this weekend and I can show both side-by-side.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmit View Post
Take the canopy mount and move it to the outside of the canopy underneath the nose. That often allows for the clearance needed for a front mount.

Thanks Alexmit, I has the same problem with clearance and your suggestion work quite nicely. I will try it tomorrow to see if I still get tip over tendecies due to vibration.

Thanks Again
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why don't you flip your electronics tray (on the nose) upside down and mount it there?
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
Why don't you flip your electronics tray (on the nose) upside down and mount it there?
When you invert that nose tray, the plastic is not that stiff. I had so far three tip overs because of that location. One with a 3GX and two with the BeastX.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So yeah, don't listen to me, Dan.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's a couple pics of mine. I have it mounted on the gyro tray. I ordered a new white canopy and have plenty of room. I also moved the lower canopy hook to the outside just for some added room. I did have it mounted up front with the battery tray flipped without problems myself. I only moved it after a self induced crash and had to fly for a few days with a cracked battery tray. I have ended up leaving it where it is now because I like it better this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beasttop.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	344114   Click image for larger version

Name:	beastside.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	344115   Click image for larger version

Name:	3dpluscanopy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	344116  
Compass 7HV
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now that's using the 'ol noodle! I never would've though of that. Might make mounting the canopy up a lot easier because you can aim it easier from the side instead of looking down and through the skids/frame. I wonder if it'd help me fit my batteries in the 6HV better too? Well, got plenty of extra half-trashed lids sitting around I can experiment on!

One quick note though: Looks like your MBX is twisted a little in that pic. Might want to straighten it out as best as possible or you could end up with something akin to a phasing error because the axis is off-kilter to the frame axis. Just a helpful hint in case you didn't know already.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah it's twisted a little bit. It helps me do funnels better. LOL. I noticed it Saturday when I was flying. I straightened it but the tape went back to crooked after sitting in my car in the heat. I will be retaping it tonight. Thanks for looking out.

You are correct on the bottom mount being easier to line up too since you can see it.
I need to change the mount on my 6hv also. My batteries clear fine but I'm having a little trouble finding the best place to tuck the wires. A 12 ga. "Y" connector with 3 EC-5's can take up a lot of space.

Greg
Compass 7HV
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mounted the BeastX to the radio tray up front, on the Odin II.

As the top of the tray slopes, I cast a mount out of JB Weld, in place, on the tray. The top of the mount is perpendicular to the main shaft, so the BeastX sits square with regard to the helicopter.

I will try to get a photograph, later.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete best View Post
My batteries clear fine but I'm having a little trouble finding the best place to tuck the wires. A 12 ga. "Y" connector with 3 EC-5's can take up a lot of space.
Not sure if you've ever seen how mine works, but it's worth a look: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...76&postcount=5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in