Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Suggestions welcome

Hey guys, sorry if this question gets brought up a lot, but I've been out of the sport for a couple years and I'm eager to get back in it this spring. I have a trex 500 esp an old trex 600 and a few year old trex 700 superior. I want to sell my older 500 and 600 to buy an up to date model. What I want to know is what is best? I want to play around and get back into to inverted. Do you guys recommend a 500 for 3d or stability or is the 600 the way to go? I see they are running 2 batteries in the 600 now which may be a game changer. I don't plan on it but I probably will have a few Wipeouts so I'm guessing the 600 would be more to fix. ( I have a blade 450 to practice with before jumping on the bigger birds)

Thanks for your opinions in advanced!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
ktmdiesel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is best is very subjective. Too many opinions and no solutions.
I personally like to upgrade what I have instead of buying new. My 500 is an old GF frame belt tail Bird. Converted to FBL running an Ikon system. It flies great and not to expensive to repair.
I do most of my experimental flying with the 450 Frankenbird. Easy and cheap to fix.
Pete.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to save some $$$ stick with one that will do 6S nicely and has the 3D characteristics you want. Larger lipos aren't cheap.
I also have a bunch of 400/450 frankenhelis in my fleet. While I love my Oxy's and others they are easy fix, are dirt cheap, and use 3S/4S lipos.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take a look at the new Align 500x. Lots of good new features and parts prices should be very reasonable.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Any idea when the 500x will be released?. You can run to 6s in series for the bigger ones right?. I do like the idea of 1 6s so you can get more flights in

Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes you can run 2x6S. You might find things have lightened up over the last few years and a single 6S would work for you just fine. The new 500X might be just what you are looking for. Parts won't be an issue like some of the others. I know people are liking the new 470's.
If you have the money there are the SAB Goblin 500 and 570. And don't forget the new Compass eXo 500. The Compass just started shipping.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I like the goblins but way to much $. I think I'm gonna aim towards a single 6s bird. What's the verdict on the 550? Seems like a decent size but I feel like not many people have them?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never owned or flown a 550 so can't say much. I think it's for people who want that even bigger feel without going up to the 600-700 ones. I don't know of many in that class (550) and would look close at parts availability if you wanted one. I'd also recommend you stick with a belt driven tail on your first purchase instead of a torque tube.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Deleted.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 500 ESP and the 500L dominator. I really like the 500L and flies even better. The gear ratio and changes is really nice. I found a L frame on Ebay and upgraded my ESP. The ESP is a great flier and depending on your budget, you can sell them and get something newer or upgrade your ESP. Upgrade it to FBL and HV servos would be a big difference. The 700 is great and love flying it and it can be upgraded to FBL quite easily. Update the head and put on a good FBL unit for some awesome flying. I also have a true 500 size heli (HD500) and it is pretty awesome. It really just boils down to what you want to do and what your budget is.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally I like my older align helis the most and with the ability to upgrade as I see fit they only seem to get better with age. My 500 esp is still on FB but will be getting a FBL and belt tail upgrade this year. When I first got back into helis 2 years ago I wondered if upgrading them was even worth the trouble. The cost is almost prohibitive but after doing my 450sev2 I'm hooked on the older models and they update well.

The new 470 is an awesome heli but it had a few issues that needed to be worked out with the early kits. I suspect the new 500x will be similar to the 470 having the same basic design. I know I will end up getting a 500x in the future and will like it but I won't be getting rid of my older helis to get one. The resale value of them is too low and the fun factor is too great.

The 470 is worthy of mention as a progression heli. It's cheap, flies great and has good durability in a crash. It's a lighter 380mm heli that performs great at clone pricing. In the long run I bet it's probably the best value as far as beaters go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in