Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Low voltage alarm 30sec after spool-up. Could be the motor?

Hi Guys,

So I've had some issues with my 450, tried a number of things last year and had a break for 12 months as we moved to the states. Now I just brought the heli back to the states after a visit to Aus and want to get it going again (been flying planks the last year)

Equipment:
Tarot 450 FBL. Tarot gyro, Platinum Pro 50A ESC, Tarot 450M 3800kv motor

Problem:
The heli spools-up to full head speed fine, but within about 30 sec the low-battery alarm sounds. It appears to be a genuine low battery problem.

The head speed might be lower than normal but I have no way to measure this. The only reason I think this is that it seems to need more collective (70% up-stick vs 50% previously) to get off the ground.

Solutions tried:
Tried different batteries
Replaced ESC
Replaced battery alarm

I guess the only thing left is to try a new motor. Any opinions before I fork-out for a new one? I'm running out of options, seems the motor is the only thing left?
McBrain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you checked the main pinion to main gear mesh? If it is us too tight then you will pull too many amps every time you spool up.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would most certainly borrow a motor from someone to eliminate that as a possibility. If you have too serious of an issue with a motor, you could over-amp your esc and then nasty things happen. Your esc will become one of the most efficient fire starters ever.
Crash3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR450ZS View Post
Have you checked the main pinion to main gear mesh? If it is us too tight then you will pull too many amps every time you spool up.
Thanks Allan,

I think I did check that, but I'm going to re-check as it makes sense.

Nick
Old 02-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash3D View Post
I would most certainly borrow a motor from someone to eliminate that as a possibility. If you have too serious of an issue with a motor, you could over-amp your esc and then nasty things happen. Your esc will become one of the most efficient fire starters ever.
Borrowing a motor is not an option as no one at the club here in Charlotte NC flies helis!

I could borrow a watt-meter and check the current draw though.

I will check the pinion mesh again and then do a watt-meter check.
The test needs to be done with the blades on though, without the additional torque there is no low voltage alarm if I run it up with no blades on.

Nick
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You said that you tried different batteries but were they all the same age? It sounds very much like a battery problem and if the batteries are all similar age and have been treated the same then they are likely to be in similar condition. If the batteries were stored for a year fully charged that would be a pretty sure way to kill them.

So if you haven't done so already try a new battery.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I tried re-setting the pinion mesh...

Sucess!!

I must have fitted a new pinion last year and not meshed it correctly.

I'm 99% sure that's the problem but I couldn't fly it tonight, just ran it up on teh ground. I'll fly it tonight and know for sure.

Yes the batteries may be a little tired but I have an number with different ages and different capacities.

I will fly tomorrow and know for sure.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still not right. Got the low battery alarm again today at the flying field.

Funnily enough, when I switched to idle-up the alarm stopped. Hovered at a couple of feet to burn-up the battery and got another couple of minutes.

Then I tried another battery (Zippy 3S 20C 3000mAh) this is newer but still old and normally gives an extra couple of minutes flight time than the 2200mAh.

But with this battery I didn't even get the motor beeps on initialisation and rotor would not spool up at all.

Back to the bench to investigate further.

I have a new battery coming too.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

After 12 months and now this. Battery , motor and wires getting warm? Tried multiple batteries but hold old?
If the motor was pulling too much a simple touch and feel would tell lots and in just 30 seconds it would be real hot. A battery charger where you could measure internal resistance isn't mentioned and still a indicator only.
I too took a brake for awhile and ended up with a bunch of batteries taking a salt water bath as they wouldn't work. Some with low resistance still would not work. Lift off and 30 seconds later loss of power and rushed to land. Even my 550 with a 1 year old battery would do that for some reason but a new one fixed it every time.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the low voltage setting for your warning?

How many mah are you putting back into the batteries?

Sounds to me like old tired batteries. Does anyone at your club have some newer 3S batteries that will work to test?
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766, Specter 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 145
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Apologies for the delay in getting back on this.

I finally got to the airfield on Sunday with a brand new battery pack to try.

Works fine with the new battery!

So you guys were right about this. At one point I suspected the bullet connectors - and there may still be a resistance issue there. But it is pretty much solved.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you got it sorted out and it's working well now
Crash3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

from what i understand the as well as the a batteries capacity changes with age, its internal resistance also increases with age/use.

You might have had 1 cell go bad but still show a full charge, but once under load would suddenly drop the total pack to lvc.

similar thing happened to my car battery. all of a sudden 1 day it didnt start, bumped it and it would start fine unless you left it over night. 1 cell was bad and not holding charge.

I left some 1s batteries charged for over a year (obviusly wernt charged when i dug them out) they worked but started dying 1 by 1 quickly after i started using them
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in