Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Advice on first heli for outdoors ?

I'm a newbie with helicopters. I've been learning on a Blade Nano CP S (never out of stability mode). I'm still learning basic forward flight and turns.

I'd like to get a good "beginner" helicopter to fly outdoors when we get into spring here, something that would be better in a little wind than the tiny Nano ?

So -- I'd like something similar to the Nano CP S with the "Safe" mode/AS3X and stability settings to continue learning basic forward flight, etc.

Also -- I'd really prefer a BNF heli, as I have a DX7 GEN 2 radio.

I was looking at the 230 S, but was hoping for some advice here from the experienced.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel everyone should have a 450 size heli be it a 325-360-380 it's a great all around size heli to fly.

Now there are so many options out there it depends on your budget. I encourage people to build rather than buy a bnf that way you can learn about the mechanics of it and you end up with a better heli at the end of the day.

Only bnf now days is the blade 360.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 i agree ^

do you have a sim?
with a decent computer it can give you realistic reason behind your next bird purchase.. I will say for your safety that you should thoroughly look at the hobby before jumping down the rabbit hole..(that goes for your life and your marriage, house...etc) I KID!

when you get to 3s-6s lipo 11.1v things get serious with helicopters, doing sometimes upwards 4k rpm on high performance carbon blades....
you could hurt yourself or someone else, property. they can blow up in your home(and its not rare.) requires attention.

either way, if you know all that, GREAT! 285mm(oxy 3+) 325/335/350/360/380mm(blade 450x/trex450/hk/gauiX3/forza450/chase360/450L

all these sizes are good to learn on, semi dangerous, very capable of being tuned to be a beast or a simple circuit flyer.... because they use a central computer system you program on your computer usually and it sometimes can fly the heli or save it for you.. look into ikon/brain/vbar/etc
Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
I feel everyone should have a 450 size heli be it a 325-360-380 it's a great all around size heli to fly.

Now there are so many options out there it depends on your budget. I encourage people to build rather than buy a bnf that way you can learn about the mechanics of it and you end up with a better heli at the end of the day.

Only bnf now days is the blade 360.
RE: " I encourage people to build rather than buy a bnf that way you can learn about the mechanics of it "

I love building airplanes rather than buying ARF.

So in terms of options for kits to build.. suggestions ? (given my current skill level) ??

Thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it depends on the space you have to fly in and what you are prepared to do/ get involved with in repairing and building etc.

I'm totally loving my 180 cfx. It will be a worth while step up for you and will teach you about roatary servos and a drive tail rather than a separate motorised tail such as the cps and 230s have. This is good as once you progress to larger helis the 180 cfx will be very similar in its build. Unless the bigger one has a belt tail but the 180 cfx can be upgraded to that also. I completely stripped my 180 cfx down and rebuilt it. I have some experience but it's not difficult and is a good cp heli to learn on. It's not intimidating and can be flown in a small park/ large garden.

For the price it's a lot of heli and nothing touches it. I think you would love it and only after a few crashes will you have to get involved hands on.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW,
The 230s is a great beginner heli. I think of its flight as stable and relaxed. I am not talking about safe. It would be a great step up from your nano but you need to get out of the safe mode. Practice on the sim.

The 180 is OK but less suitable for a beginner imho. Its comparatively way more twitchy and has more disk loading. Its harder to see (orientation) and is a little less durable. But don't put too much faith into the whole, "this heli crashes great philosophy". Its best not to crash period.

The 450 suggestions above are also a good idea. If you have space 450s are more stable, easier to see and easier to fly than micros. And they ain't intimidating after the first battery or two.
You can learn a lot and get a lot of enjoyment from building a kit but don't be ashamed to get a BNF if you prefer the convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench3 View Post
So in terms of options for kits to build.. suggestions ? (given my current skill level) ??

Thanks
I don't think anyone would discourage you from buying a Gaui X3.

Put a Spirit FBL with bailout on it.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Start hovering the nano in agility mode!
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a 450x starting out and loved it. Also being a mac guy, a sim was kind of out of the question. I crashed it twice (the second smashing into the side of my brick home) cost me about $100 to rebuild. But I learned a lot about setup and mechanics very quickly from that bird. It allowed me to move up to a kit. I probably will never buy a blade heli ever again, but for starting out in the hobby, they aren't too bad. And a 450 size heli helps a ton when learning orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
longhammer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The nano works fine outdoors if you fly it in IU/agility, it's not just a indoor heli. If you want a bigger heli with stability then fly a large fixed pitch which is basically what you're flying in stability mode anyway, or get a 230s.

You'll be better off learning to fly in agility mode and how to deal with wind. Once you're flying in agility instead of hovering in stability mode you'll find the nano is plenty capable of flying outside in a 15+mph wind. The more you fly in wind the less you'll notice it.

At this stage in the game a bigger heli still flying in stability mode won't do much for you. The nano will be cheaper to make the stability to agility/fixed pitch to collective pitch transition which will help alot more with wind/being outside.

Once you get that out of the way you'll be ready for at least a 180 and maybe even a 450 depending on your budget and confidence level.

If you're still wanting a heli with stability, I highly recommend you do NOT buy a kit or 450class. You have to learn to fly collective pitch before you fly anything of the sort or you'll be in store for expensive repairs and possible injuries. You already have the ideal heli for learning to fly cp, use it how it was intended
Old 03-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also one thing that no one has touched on is join a club. If you have a local club there will be a vast source of wisdom and help there for you. It will be much easier to get to grips with the cp and maybe even a member there will be able to use the trainer feature of most tx and help you out. They can help on set ups as well. I've always been envious of people who have clubs nearby and watch as they progress really fast with expert advice and help on hand. HF is great but you can't beat hands on assistance and most clubs are really friendly and helpful if not a bit far away as in my case. Also finding experienced flyers who are willing to help out that live near by is great for confidence to meet up for flying etc. I have none of this help and really missed out on it and wish I'd had a club near by and/ or other flyers near by that could meet up for fly days etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in