Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Car and Truck Info and Support > Electric

Electric Electric R/C Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Anyone running Lipos in their car or truck?

I am running a 7cell NIMH battery right now in my Rustler VXL Brushless and was wondering if anyone was running a lipo in theirs and if you are how much faster is it? Just trying to figure out if its worth it to buy lipos over the NIMH batteries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definitely worth the investment. I am usig lipos in my Bandit and Tamiya DF-02.
Power increase over stock is substantial. Grab 1 or 2 cheap Zippy 4000mAh hardcase packs from HC for around $25 each and see for yourself. Don't forget to use a LiPo alarm if your ESC doesn't have a liPo LVC.
distractor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I run a 3S 4000 30C in my Rusty VXL, its STUPID FAST and REQUIRES throttle management if you want to do anything but go straight. I was/am having overheating issues with the motor and have had to replace the bearings once so far, it also goes thru tires like their going out of style.

I ordered some 2S to calm it down a little and also help the motor last longer.
Theres nothing more efficient at turning #2 diesel into noise and smoke than a Detroit Diesel

Last edited by 1320fastback; 12-21-2009 at 10:52 PM..
1320fastback is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
I run a 3S 4000 30C in my Rusty VXL, its STUPID FAST and REQUIRES throttle management if you want to do anything but go straight. I was/am having overheating issues with the motor and have had to replace the bearings once so far, it also goes thru tires like their going out of style.

I ordered some 2S to calm it down a little and also help the motor last longer.

Same here! I've got the ruslter VXL on 3s and it is a bit too much! I've even geared it down since it has turned into a straight line runner...too much speed and it goes through tires real fast! Have anacondas on there now.

All my cars and trucks run LiPo and there is no comparison to NiMh.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LMAO, I have used my Lipos to get home in my real cars, more than once when the charging system is out. I actually have one made up, jump the car, plug it into the cig lighter, and get the hell to the dealership...LMAO
UBHSTRY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBHSTRY View Post
LMAO, I have used my Lipos to get home in my real cars, more than once when the charging system is out. I actually have one made up, jump the car, plug it into the cig lighter, and get the hell to the dealership...LMAO
Very innovative! Though I'd worry about the cigaretter lighter wiring handling the power to recharge the car battery.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also have a single cell in my cordless phone.....lol Lasts FOREVER between Chargings. Everyone seems to throw their puffed packs away....I pull the good cells out and put them in something....LOL I need to get some pics..

I have a snowmobile from walmart, with a 540 motor, that had a stupid voltage step down on the motor. Well, took that out, and put a pieced together 4 cell lipo in there now......HEEEEHAW! Never seen plastic move so fast.....LMAO Somewhere along the line, I would like to make it brushless.

My new lipo charger, a Thunder AC6 has also become the charger in my garage. I have a central station, with just basically 100 foot of 2 gauge jumper wire that goes whereever a car may be to charge it.

OOO YA, I NEED to put a LiPo on one of my LCD mini lights I use to work on cars!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

i only run mnickel metal hydride in the transmitters , i run lipo's on all my electric cars .
jombo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Team Tostada Member

Same here. Funny thing is until I got into heli's I never even considered using lipos-now I won't use anything else. My only gripe is there aren't many brushless (surface) esc's rated for 3s or above.....I'd love to be able to stuff my big T600 packs into something and go after some speed records!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My dad has those outdoor cameras for catching the wildlife and such, he wont let me lipo up the cameras for him. Too bad, he spent 50 bucks today on a new battery.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

warpspeed here are a couple.
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...=tekinrx8combo

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2200kV

i use the mamba monster on 6s in my LST2 conversion. it will do standing backflips.
paul4238 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run lipos in all of my cars. The consistency is far better than nimh. They don't "fall off" like nimh do not to mention more power and longer run times
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
I run lipos in all of my cars. The consistency is far better than nimh. They don't "fall off" like nimh do not to mention more power and longer run times
Single-cell LiPo like we're running in the pan car classes there is LOTS of fall-off. Kinda sucks, but it's what we're stuck with.
Scottrik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is funny, but I was running nimh on my cars until got into helis. I run 2s 5000mah for my rustler and 2s 2200mah on the erevo better performance lol I have to replace tires more often.
Rc_Collector is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im currently looking to go lipo with some mervs of mine...I have officially got out of nitro..
a69baldone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned User

Talking

Been runnin nothing but 3s lipos on my speed t. Couldnt imagine drivin on "flashlight" batteries. Got the mamba max esc after I killed the stock one. Never use CA near anything electrical.

BTW I'm Giving away 2 4400ma 30-40c cells. Check the everything else heli related section. Only asking buyer to pay shipping.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in