Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Mechanics

Mechanics Mechanics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any one reversed rotation on an Align quad blade head?

Hey Guys, I was just working on a project I had on hold while I was away for the summer and ran into a small issue. I am trying to reverse the main rotor direction on a trex500 I am putting into a 105 so that it matches the full scale. I have done this in the past with no problems on other projects. Unfortunately it appears that because of the design of the align four blade head this is not possible with out changing to a smaller set of swash lock arms (even with I have a feeling this will limit my range over the stock long arms). I was wondering if any one had encountered this before, and could possibly help point me in the right direction.
I will probably just run it CW (stock) and have the tail rotor on the correct scale side pulling instead of pushing if I can't come up with a way to reverse the head as well.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Last edited by FiveZigen; 10-07-2013 at 03:17 PM..
FiveZigen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will ask the really stupid question.....Why not just run it in the opposite direction? There are plenty of "following arm" heads out there that work very well.Looking at my 500 size Align 4 blade head I see no problem running it "in reverse" as there seem to be no directionally sensitive components.

P.S. You try it first and let the rest of us know!!
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got it to work. I modified some mixing arms and used the short side flipped over with the plastic component of the arm flipped as well. When you reverse the direction of the head you need to have the plastic arms face the other way as well or they interact with the links hence why I needed to make the shorter arms.
Pic 1-2) Here is the stock quad blade arm on the left, stock swash lock arm from FB Trex500 and the same arm cut down to the useable piece I need.

Pic 3) After paint, I put new bearings in as well.

Pic 4) Finished, You may need to clearance the plastic swash arms, as they may interact with the links.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131007_123431.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	456310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131007_123448.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	456311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131007_131947.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	456312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131007_141254.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	456313  
Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

If you were to simply spin the head backwards, because the phasing is mechanically set and not adjustable on this head the phasing would now be off. Try it for your selves and you will see what I mean.
Here is the pic of how it looks stock

You see how if we spin it in the reverse direction the swash plate will now be 90 degrees behind the direction of travel instead of in front where it is suppose to be? You can't take the link off the swash and move it to the correct ball at 90 degrees ahead of the blade with out it interfering with the swash lock arm. If the washout was not part of the head you could simply flip the plastic arm and adjust the washout base so everything is cool. With this head flipping the plastic arm just has the bottom hole sticking out into space. You need some way to flip the metal arms as well to get everything jiving, which I have done above.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

OKAY!!

Good answer!
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

actually the phasing would be fine, just reversed. The fact that you would now be running trailing edge however means inputs are also reversed - end result, everything works out. Just look at that picture above, imagine you put a left aileron command in... swash tilts left. blade with the link on the left side will currently be over the tail boom, grip in the downwards position increasing pitch. Gyroscopic precession translates this 90 degrees further round in the direction of rotation ending in a force lifting the right side of the disc - a left turn just as commanded.

The only peculiarity would be that due to the trailing edge control, the swash moving up would result in negative pitch and vice versa so one would just have to be careful during setup.

On a rigid head with no dampers like this, there is no real disadvantage or difference to trailing grip vs leading grip as far as I am aware.

Anyway, you've got it to work but just thought I'd point that out
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so this question was asked to me recently if the scale bird that I am building will have the blades running reversed.
I have the tail reversed to the port side. So I am thinking about it.
I guess swap the plugs for pitch and aileron on the FBL?
Flip the blade grips for leading edge control. Main and tail.
Of course flip the one way brng.
Anything else?

Oh yeah, this is a 2 blade for now.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You do not swap the plugs in the FBL. You set that up in the software. Depending on your FBL controller....

Gh
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or, does it really matter what way the blades rotate for pitch and aileron on a 2 blade head?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

In some cases, there is a box in the software tabs where you choose the direction of rotation of the head. If there is no place for it, I would not worry about it. As to the two servos, pitch and aileron, I have seen a few instances where newbie builders have switched them going to the gyro/receiver and there was no consequence. As long as the directions of the three servos is correct, not many are fussy as to what is where. It would take a full page to describe what I did to mine and it still worked just fine. I know the Skookum has the option for counter clockwise rotation and I am sure there are more that do. The most important thing is to make sure the head is set for opposite rotation. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don, the only reason a fbl system wants to know the main Rotor direction is so it can apply the correct anti torque direction to the tail Rotor when collective pitch is increased or decreased.

Sandy
PhoenixNOTAR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi Sandy:

Yes, it certainly does make sense why the software needs to know it. It is not something that is in every one of the gyros that I have set up and got running. The one and only time I set a standard tail gyro for clockwise rotation, there was nothing like that to choose but if you set the direction of compensation for heading hold or rate, it worked like a charm. Thanks and see you soon.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in