Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Heli-Max Axe 400

Wanted to start this as I do not see this model mentioned anywhere else. Anyone have one? Tips for noobies - how to set up, reccomendations, ect??? I am wanting to buy one but would like to hear from someone that has one first.
cw4rotorhead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have two. I bought the RxR first then the RTF figuring that I would run both models off the RTF radio. I've been reading about others having alot of difficulty setting up other radios properly so I'm glad I got the RTF. I will just copy the RTF programming into a second model on the Futaba 6EX TX for the RxR.

My heli flying skills are very limited. I've been practicing on RealFlight G4.5 (which is how I found out about the new Axe 400 3D). I've only flown my RTF about three times and I'm very happy with it. Right out of the box it was setup correctly. Blade tracking is right on, I can hover it in my very small living room. I am using the factory set dual rates to tame it to my skill level.

I've bought and sold several AXE CPs. The latest one is the new CP v3 which is the best yet but still a handful to fly for me. For the price the AXE 400 3D is a sweet machine. Alot of people bad mouth Heli-Max but I think they did it right on this heli.
RCisGood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have mx 400 ,rebuilt using MX450, metal frame ,metal head etc,and still use 4 servos,mx 5, for swash plate. love it ! heavy in wind but tuff.one tip-use stock plastic blade grips, cheaper, metals ones bend and you never get blade tracking right,
thenostic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Axe 400

Hey Chief;
I just recieved mine from Tower Hobbies,They have the RTF and the ARF along with an EZ Pay option for paying the Heli off in 3 monthly installments,all in all the AXE 400 there is a Bargain,have seen them at other e-stores for more,and Tower also has an Excellent Support system as far as parts.
Anyway,Long story short,I LOVE THIS HELI!! Really well set-up out of the box,seriously. The RTF comes with a FUTABA 6EX Transmitter 2.4 Ghz and capable of storing 6 Heli or Aircraft models so you can just buy ARF Kits and save a few $ .as well as simplifying your Field gear set-up. All you have to purchase is an 11.1 3C Lipo and Balancer/charger,and your set! It has All the Upgrades anyone could possibly want,is extremely well designed and it Flys like a DREAM!!
The ONLY "Near Issue"I had was with noisey servos in the beginning,they would "buzz" a bit,but I found out this is a normal trait on some Digital Servos,the Futaba servos are now Quiet as church mice after 3 flights,that was the only thing that caught my attention with the AXE,and now,it's Non-Existant.
As far as the Radio Transmitter, You can trim it out to your own flight style preferences,and,I think you'll be very happy with it,just take your time,read through the directions in both the Axe and Futaba Manuals,and let yourself get used to it's response to your Tx inputs-only takes very slight adjustments for some pretty nice hovering for example,as long as you follow the manual and have had experienece with CCPM 6 channel helis,this is a GREAT ONE in my opinion.
I know I've read other posts knocking Heli-Make Axe helis,mostly the CPs w/tail rotor motors,..THIS ISN'T EVEN IN THE SAME CLASS,THIS ONE IS DONE "RIGHT"!!
Hope this helped,I like it and plan on getting the ARF Axe 400 in a few weeks,this is one of the BEST Most Stable Flying,3D flight Capable helis out there .
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by RCJUNKIE5150; 01-16-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Schpellng (haha)
RCJUNKIE5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AXE 400 3D Crash Testing

I took my RTF outside for the first time and was practicing hovering at about 10 -12 feet high. Adjusted my trims a bit and she was pretty stable. I landed and took off several times then got over confident and decided to try a pirouette. I slid off to one side and came in fairly hard. Surprisingly, I bent more than I broke. The tail boom was bent a few inches, two short control rods, only broke one blade grip and blade, bent the feathering shaft and flybar. I already have most of the spares except for the flybar and control rods. Ordered what I needed plus a few spares. I'll have it back together by the end of the week. I'm learning to repair them OK. I will balance the new blades, use my pitch gauge for the first time and check for any vibrations.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Mark,
OUCH! I thought I'd be the first casualty! sorry you had some damage,but,at least these seem like they'll take some hard landings. it doesn't help that the controls "lag" just a bit,just takes a while to get used to,different with Every Heli,so,don't feel bad.
I just made a set of "Extended Skids" today out of a 1/4" o.d. plastic coat hanger ,-(Yep,you heard right,Coat Hanger,I'm serious!!) - I used the short straight pieces out of the small garment hooks that are attached to some of the hangers, to use as dowels at the corners,drilled holes for them,and glued the dowels in. The "Add a Skids" are a little wider by about 3" on either side of the original skids,and about 3" longer to the front of the skids,I cut the new Skids out of the bottom part of the hanger,cut it at about 1/2 way at the bottom bends,then,cut the piece in half. so there's a curve to the front like the originals so if it slides toward the nose on take off,it won't catch or grab any ground. then I used small hair tie type rubber bands to secure the new trainer skids to the originals,it really helps out as far as any leaning fore and aft and side to side,and helps while I get the landing part down also,plus the extra flex the attachment gives adds a little cushion if it's gets a little "Bumpy". NOTE-Can you tell the NJ Weather isn't all that great for any outdoor action,...can you say "Too Much Time On My Hands",..haha!! ( I did a similar deal on my Eflite Blade CP and it worked Great,-that heli needed all the help it could get get!)
Hope you get it fixed quick and are back out flying. I'm gonna think twice about trying my "Loops" for a while now!!
Talk to ya later!
Bob

Last edited by RCJUNKIE5150; 01-19-2009 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Brain Damage
RCJUNKIE5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been looking at this one pretty hard and have been flying it on the G4.5 sim. it is one that my LHS carries but I think I will get the RxR version as I have 2 extra recivers sitting around for my Dx7.. Glad to see that no one is really poo pooing this one .. Even RC Heli Mag says it is a good one! You guys have convinced me to stop by and order one out of my LHS
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back in the air (hovering around the yard) today with my RTF. She flies fine after the crash. I bought a number of spare parts and three extra sets of woodies for the inevitable next crash.

I sold my RxR because I bought two Trex 500 ESPs. With all due respect to the Axe 400 3D, these Align helis are fine pieces of engineering. I will continue working with the Axe and the 500s should be relatively easy to fly (from what I've read anyway).

Thank goodness it's getting into the low 60's here so I can practice in my side yard.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought my AXE at tower hobbies also.

Only one complaint so far---- Does anybody have any info on the esc that is supplied with the rx-r version.
Mine starts hard an seems to stop faster than other units I have played with.
I would feel much more at ease if I could verify it's programming.
The Manufacturers website has not been forth-comeing (no response at all to e-mails).

Any one have this info? Where can I obtain?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My wife bought me an axe 400after months of begging lol, and i love it watched the finless bob videos and talked to some guys that fly localy took my time to set it up. fly's great learned how to hover and do the box in about 6 battery packs, now im doing loops and rolls, haven't crashed it yet i did put a gy401 in it about a 2 days ago i love it now
primestick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero View Post
I bought my AXE at tower hobbies also.

Only one complaint so far---- Does anybody have any info on the esc that is supplied with the rx-r version.
Mine starts hard an seems to stop faster than other units I have played with.
I would feel much more at ease if I could verify it's programming.
The Manufacturers website has not been forth-comeing (no response at all to e-mails).

Any one have this info? Where can I obtain?

Thanks

Myne dose the same thing, i played with the throttle curve and just go easy on the stick. For stoping quick you mean at a landing or time flown... if its winding down realy quick its because the axe has a realy tight tail, i tryed loosing it dont you get wag best i can say is oil the head and tail... or get a trex tail box and belt. Good luck
primestick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive had mine for about 2 months now. The first gyro didnt work, helimax sent a new one in a week. That one still tended to drift, so i just turned the gyro gain up to 75 and it seemed to keep it from drifting much. Now that gyro has completely died and made me crash, so i ordered a gy401 and should be here this week. Best thing i did with this heli is adjust the expo rate. This heli hovers very steady now. If your heli seems to start hard, you can goto the radio options for normal throttle and turn down the #2 position to something lower. The default is 32% and lowering it to 15% or 20% makes for a softer start. The #3 position is where you get light on the skids, so anything under half stick in normal throttle isnt going to effect normal flight. I like this heli very much overall, definitally over a stock cpv3. My next plan is to get a good slop free tail system.
phoenixheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Controller settings

Hey Guys I jsut picked up the 400 as well but i was not the brightest and decided to try to hook the controller to my G5 and try it out well some how i erased the factory settings. Can anyone possible give me the settings that they have programed in under the A400 setting?
diggum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you go to Tower Hobbies on line store, and look at the receiver ready AXE400 info, then click on the manuals, the set up is in one of them.
Bill Geyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need some help

Hello, can anyone please tell me if AXE 400 3D parts can be used on the AXE 400 MX?

Thank you for any help anyone may be able to give me!
95Force is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in