Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Cyclo's Case Build: iCharger 308DUO + TDK Lambda 24V 1500W PSU

FG is ground, yes.

L and N matter, they are not interchangeable.

L is "line", sometimes called the "hot" wire. Measured to ground, it will be 110V AC in the US, maybe 220V where you are?

N is "neutral". Measured to ground, it will show 0V.

Even without knowing the color scheme, you can identify them this way.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, why do L and N matter? I don't understand, and googling isn't helping so far. On an AC power cable plug (without earth), you can plug it into the wall either way, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
FG is ground, yes.

L and N matter, they are not interchangeable.

L is "line", sometimes called the "hot" wire. Measured to ground, it will be 110V AC in the US, maybe 220V where you are?

N is "neutral". Measured to ground, it will show 0V.

Even without knowing the color scheme, you can identify them this way.

Sent using Tapatalk.
maltokyo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltokyo View Post
Would love to confirm your A/C connection colors.. as maybe the colors here in Switzerland are different.

Into the FG terminals on the Lambda, you have "ground" or the earth wire, right? For me, that would be green or green and yellow. (Why are there two FG terminals on the Lambda?)

in the AC(N) and AL(L) terminals, as per the manual of the Lambda, you just have the normal AC power, so it wouldnt matter which I connect which to, right? Any differences between N and L for me, who doesnt really understand it?

Thank you!
It does matter on the AC power terminals. The (L) terminal or line is the positive voltage connection. The (N) terminal or neutral is the negative voltage connection. Line is normally the black wire and neutral is the white wire. Ground is typically green or a bare wire.

I would assume the two ground terminals are for the AC electrical circuit and the other for an actual ground rod.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does AC power have positive and negative? I understand that it doesnt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
It does matter on the AC power terminals. The (L) terminal or line is the positive voltage connection. The (N) terminal or neutral is the negative voltage connection. Line is normally the black wire and neutral is the white wire. Ground is typically green or a bare wire.

I would assume the two ground terminals are for the AC electrical circuit and the other for an actual ground rod.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mean, these cables, have no -/+ right? as the power flow changes between them at 50 or 60 times a second, correct?
http://www.cablestogo.com/product-im...600/27399a.jpg

Sorry for stupid questions..
Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Correct, there is no + vs -.

For some things, like a light bulb, or any resistor, I don't think it makes any difference. Current flow is current flow, as far as a simple resistor is concerned.

But this is a complex device, which would use a 3-prong plug, which ensures it is always plugged in the same way. So the device can hopefully know which wire will be Line, and which will be Neutral, and perhaps uses each one differently.

Sorry, I wouldn't dare try to guess beyond that, I'm not an electrical engineer.

Short, non-answer: the manufacturer presumably labeled the L and N terminals for a reason. And *that* is why you have to connect them that way, because they said so

Actually, I just pulled up the manual. There is a note that "L" has an inline fuse, while "N" does not have that note. As "L" is the current/voltage source, this should ensure that the fuse can stop any incoming current, if there is a problem.

If you connected the "L" wire to the "N" terminal, instead of the "L" terminal, you would be supplying current on a terminal with no fuse. If something shorted or went wrong, and you got a short to Ground, for instance, the fuse would not protect you, as "N" (which is not fused, but is now your current/voltage source) would be shorted to Ground, and current would continue to flow.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perfect. Tx!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

RedOktobyr is right... If you google "120 volt plug wiring" and select images you will see that black is hot, white is neutral and the lower middle (colored usually green) is ground.

One other thing I would add is if you will be parallel charging, you will need to use a thicker gauge outlet cable... Preferably 16 gauge or thicker. These are sometimes called subwoofer or power amplifier cables over here. The standard 18 gauge cable might not be enough especially at longer lengths.

EDIT: Added image on how the wiring in a typical 120V socket should be done:

Black is hot, White is neutral, and colored (blue, green, etc.) is ground.

Link to article where I found the image above: http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/w...ceptacles.html

Last edited by cyclo; 07-31-2014 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Added 120V plug wiring image
cyclo is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in