Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Countdown on Spektrum Website

What if ...Becomes What is
29 days 23 hours left.

so what is it ?
looks like mabye a DX 8
does not look like the DX11
(Blade CP+) (Blade mCX & mSR) (Walkera #38)
(2x AirHogs Storm Launcher)(PZ P-51D Mustang)
(Traxxas Rustler VXL)(pissed off wife)
(Phoenix Sim = Loose Nut)
Loose Nut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's the DX8. In the print ad in Model Aviation, you can read the label.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's the awesome part about the new super awesome top of the line spektrum DX8. It looks exactly like the DX6I !!! What?!? Why would they take a mid grade radio and try and jam it full of stuff to make it top of the line? I don't like the feel of the 6I. Never have. I'm fairly disappointed in the DX8 and am baffled why they didn't put it in the DX7 case or even a whole new radio. I'm sure there's some logic behind it somewhere but from a consumer standpoint, it's not looking very good to me! ** I reserve the right to repeal this statement based on release specs and full feature updates, my opinion is based purely on the 2 photos I saw from the European release. That is all**

European launch -

http://horizonhobby.de/index.php?mai...=&prod_id=6463
Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe they needed the larger case to fit everything in. I love the dx6i to death but I wouldn't by a high end radio that looked like that.
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does what it "LOOKs" like really matter? I don't stare at my radio while I'm flying. What I care about is how well it works, how easy is it to program and how reliable it is. Spektrum tries to maintain an optimum cost/performance level in the market. The dies it takes to make these plastic parts are very expensive, so if you have one that fits the bill, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. That just means they have to make up for the expense in some other part of the product.

Based on the specifications we've seen, I don't think you will find any other radio on the market that does what this new DX8 will do for the money. I'm very happy with my JR 9303, but I can't wait to have telemetry and a radio that can have it's firmware upgraded. Should be a very nice setup at an excellent price point. If you want something that LOOKs completely new, then you can go for the Euro style DX10.

Cheers!
JF
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

The DX8 is just colored like the 6i.
It's heavier made.Smoother control and I believe the black parts on the case are actually rubber.Should be a nice addition to my gear.

I really like the unlimited number of models it can support since it has an SD card reader and writer.You'll also be able to download software upgrades to the SD card and install them.You could also set up a radio for a friend on the other side of the world and email the set up to him instantly.Just put the SD in the PC and hit send.The other guy downloads to his SD and inserts the card in the TX and it's done.New model set up.
They say you can use infinite number of cards so you have an infinite number of model memory.I think it will store 50 models without the card.
McKrackin1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
Does what it "LOOKs" like really matter?
Of course it does. That may be a vain statement but it's certainly true...

Would you use a top of the line radio that had a red casing made by playschool with cows and chickens on it? Prob not. It's embarrasing to use something that looks inferior even if it isn't.

If they are set on that design, they are in for a rude awakening as NO pro will use it. Thus we won't use it. That's just a fact.

The dx7 series radio is certainly due for an update, but more of a software/functionality update (I think we'd all love to see 7 point curves, more mixes, and a throttle/timer function). They have a good thing going with the dx7 design. Changing it is absurd at this point. I guess the 8th channel will taylor to the scale market, but that's about all.
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

In reality, it probably doesn't cost that much more to produce than the DX6i. I would expect to see this radio included with future E-Flite offerings as a sweetener. It's about time they came out with a Blade 400 V2, 450 or 500 maybe. You may see it included with a higher end plank package also. If you look at a DX7SE it is only 300 dollars for the radio itself. I do have to say though, all of the spektrum DX radios are built fairly cheap in comparison to Futaba and JR but you pay for it with them. I think it's closest competition would be the Futaba 8Z or the Airtronics SD-10 which are both sweet radios and based on the announced features it isn't even close.

I do think the DX8 will be a good deal as they can take advantage of lower production costs for newer technology like memory, processors, backlights etc and address advances the competition like Hitec and others are marketing with their own. I do not think they will be able to place it over the DX7 though as it would have to be pretty cheap. Who knows? Maybe this thing will be better than the DX7 in all respects including build quality?

Align TREX 450 Pro v2 FBL, Kyosho Caliber 50, Blade 400, Blade MSR, Blade MCX, Blade MCPx
Airtronics Stylus 2.4, Spektrum DX6i
E Zurcher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the idea of built in telemetry. would it need new receivers to support that feature though?

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
I like the idea of built in telemetry. would it need new receivers to support that feature though?
Yes.The RX would need to transmit data...I think so anyway
McKrackin1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

yes the reciver will have to have the telemetry ability

I for one dont mind the DX6i look/feel thats what I am used to because of the Blade 400 so I will be getting one and that maybe what they are thinking about as well.

would be nice to be able to configure your TX like you do your computer.
choose a case style and choose what options you want in it

Last edited by Loose Nut; 05-25-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post

Would you use a top of the line radio that had a red casing made by playschool with cows and chickens on it? Prob not. It's embarrasing to use something that looks inferior even if it isn't.

Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

easy to picture right? lol
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats the price tag gonna be?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post

If they are set on that design, they are in for a rude awakening as NO pro will use it. Thus we won't use it. That's just a fact.

The dx7 series radio is certainly due for an update, but more of a software/functionality update (I think we'd all love to see 7 point curves, more mixes, and a throttle/timer function). They have a good thing going with the dx7 design. Changing it is absurd at this point. I guess the 8th channel will taylor to the scale market, but that's about all.

Your using extremes here. The DX8 does not look like a playschool toy. I'm just saying, looks are not the most important criteria when I pick a radio. There is ugly, and then there is UGLY. The case is not hideous and it serves it's function well. Personally, I think it's better looking then that new JR 11 channel monstrosity that looks like a Power-ranger helmet. But I would not choose one or the other over how it looks.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Your using extremes here. The DX8 does not look like a playschool toy. I'm just saying, looks are not the most important criteria when I pick a radio. There is ugly, and then there is UGLY. The case is not hideous and it serves it's function well. Personally, I think it's better looking then that new JR 11 channel monstrosity that looks like a Power-ranger helmet. But I would not choose one or the other over how it looks.
true that is an extreme, but the point is valid though. My only legit complaint with the dx6 style is the taller shape. I know that's more because I'm used to the dx7, but so are most of the dx7 users which spektrum hopes to entice to "upgrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard F. View Post
whats the price tag gonna be?
Don't know if anyone knows that yet, but if I were to speculate I'd say about the same pricepoint as the dx7se
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Does what it "LOOKs" like really matter? I don't stare at my radio while I'm flying. What I care about is how well it works, how easy is it to program and how reliable it is. Spektrum tries to maintain an optimum cost/performance level in the market. The dies it takes to make these plastic parts are very expensive, so if you have one that fits the bill, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. That just means they have to make up for the expense in some other part of the product.

Based on the specifications we've seen, I don't think you will find any other radio on the market that does what this new DX8 will do for the money. I'm very happy with my JR 9303, but I can't wait to have telemetry and a radio that can have it's firmware upgraded. Should be a very nice setup at an excellent price point. If you want something that LOOKs completely new, then you can go for the Euro style DX10.

Cheers!
JF
yes it matters what it looks like.... gee does it matter what yoru car looks like? most people say yes but the fact is while ur in it driving u only see the hood so why it batter?

The DX6 was UGLY the dx7 I thought looked nice so i got one, the DX6i looks eww okay i guess. the 12X, 11x, is SEXY. the 9503 looks really nice too i want the 11X but will never have the money to buy it. if i got income tax check back I would most likley buy one however.

Whatever this is going to be I am not sure why they came out with it with the dx6I and the dx5 so popular with the 4 channel planes why something else?

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I dont care what the TX looks like just that it does its job
my soon to be wife is not a super model but she gets the job done

I do care what my Heli looks like but not so much the TX, would be like
seeing someone flying a kite and saying nice kite but my god what an ugly string...

and yea but my car cost $ 38.500, hugh price difference between car and the DX8

though sometimes i wish they would do a recall on my wife
Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Nut View Post

seeing someone flying a kite and saying nice kite but my god what an ugly string...

Well I drive a $5,000 suv thats worth maybe $2,000 now its a 96 model just my point some really care about looks then others don't

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Nut View Post

Hey Nut, If she reads your post, she will be your "soon to be ex-wife!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in