Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How easy is B400 to fly?

I bought a used B400 and I have tested it and everything apears to work. i am reluctant to try it because of its size, possible damage, and the cost of parts.
I have flown with some success coaxial s, a 200 srx, 120 sr, 200qx, and a few others outdoors. I tryed a MCPX but with mostly crashes.
How hard is this to fly compared to those. Thanks; Don
dontrinko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had one when I was first learning. It's really light and twitchy not as stable as say a Trex 450 Pro which had more weight.
You could probably work some of that out by softening your sticks around center and add some expo on the radio.

My tail also didn't hold very well so idle up really blew out the tail. I was really new to the hobby at the time so I don't know if it was my inexperience or normal for that model. I figured a prebuilt from the factory heli would be setup pretty good but It was harder for me to control than my 450 Pro that I built at the same time.

I ran mine with some training gear at first. It didn't fly that great with it on but a least it was stable enough to learn on.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also I would get a sim like Heli-X and start a training routine like: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380

It has helped me immensely in a short period of time. I'm flying better then I ever have.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks; I do have a sim. I need to use it more. don
dontrinko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned to fly heli with the B400. It was an alright trainer but I had lots of help and a TON of sim time invested before hand.

Go through the training regimen mentioned above and by all means soften the controls. Bigger tends to be better but we work with what we have. It can be done because I'm proof of it. If I can learn to fly on it anyone can.

Like you I came up from COAX copters and pretty much they are night and day different than CP heli are. Go slow and don't rush the training.

Good luck and happy flights
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it a flybar B400 still? Assuming it is, there are some simple mods that will help make this heli very stable and OK for learning, I'm pretty sure this is all covered in the B400 bible sticky... That's the good news lol.

As the guys above say, you must practice on the sim, practice practice practice... For every stage of development all the way through to 3D master this is the mantra. Use a large heli, not a B400, on your sim and practice hovering on the spot about 2ft up holding position. Simple? After while it is. This tail-in hover is THE most important move to learn, every flight begins and ends with it.

Oh, and the bad news; you will crash. Just accept it now and don't feel bad when it happens. It may be worth checking where you can get spares, they're not too expensive. Oh, and remember that a lot of the spares are compatible with the B450. There are post here that clarify what works and not.

Welcome to CP heli's
Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you had troubles with mcpx, then you will have troubles with B400 but the trouble will happen faster

Practice on the sim first. I was able to dial out the tail gyro stuff but the biggest difference was upgrading the servos. BUT, I was able to learn using the stock B400 after using a sim.

First flight on b400 lasted 10sec. After the initial shock, the second and following flights lasted a battery pack. Learn to use throttle hold before you crash. And use throttle hold on the sim before a crash. You will save $$$.
u8mydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8mydog View Post
Learn to use throttle hold before you crash. And use throttle hold on the sim before a crash. You will save $$$.
My last larger than micro crash was July 2012 with the Blade 450 3d on my 17th flight and 3rd crash of that helicopter. My negative pitch was not sufficient for inverted level flight and as the helicopter slowly sank through 5 feet I realized I had waited too long at my then skill level to flip back to upright and hit TH. The damage was massive. I don't think TH saved anything.

So, I agree with TH for micros. For larger than micro I think one is better off fighting it to the bitter end. I have had countless saves since 2012, certainly more good luck than I have deserved. Of course, don't do the chicken dance either. TH is still your friend, just not until every other possibility is exhausted.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

True, but only once you've got the basics of flight sufficient to escape that crash. Hitting TH as a reflex will save $$$. When the skills are there to save a heli, hitting TH will still be a good reflex, but used much more sparingly.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Add a few extra fly bar weights and it will be much easier to fly. That's assuming one just wants to fly around. As one becomes more familiar, remove the weights.

Like that lucky old sun, give me nothin' to do, but roll around heaven all day.
jmmccain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in