Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need help / advise on chargers

So I have 2 50w IMax chargers and they do fine at 5A on a 3S 2200 pack, but I just bought an Outrage 550 and the 6S 5300 packs take a long time to charge on these little chargers ( > 2 hours). I was thinking of upgrading and don't know a lot about electronics. I see a lot of people building charging boxes and all kinds of killer setups, but I don't have the knowledge or the desire to do so. My flying field has power, so I can plug in, no generator or battery bank needed. I was considering this package:

http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html

Mainly for simplicity, it should put out enough power to make me happy, I can charge and fly and charge and fly all day I would think? Anyone have any input? I don't a TON of money to burn since its Christmas time and all. This may have to wait until I can allocate the necessary funds at a later time.

Thanks,

SH
STICKHACK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If I ever go with a big E heli, I'd have to give snjbird a call and ask him to set me up with something special.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=355395

I don't know much about charging big packs, so I hope others chime in.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For 6S 5300mAh packs I wouldn't consider anything like that.
If you ever want to parallel charge several packs you will be right back where you are now, time wise.
Charging batteries is the WORK part of this hobby. The less time I spend doing it the better.
Do you really want to do this again? (buy a charger) Because you will be buying a bigger charger, again.

I converted to electric this year and had to upgrade to charge more than just a LiPo flight pack.
I wanted a charger that was future proof.
Would charge fast if I wanted to.
I bought an iCharger 306B 1000WATT charger with a Paraboard and made a PS.
Hopefully I will never need to buy another charger.

If you don't want to make your own PS Feathermerchant sells some nice ones.

Save your money and buy right the first time.

This was the way I looked at it.
The WoodCrafter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly helis and planks at the same time. So I tend to do 3s and 6s at the same time. I'm using two icharger 106b+'s with one paraboard, and have never run out of batteries during the day.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with The WoodCrafter.

Buying anything less than a 1000W means you will spend more money with a new charger in near future.

You have good options.. the iCharger series is a good cost/benefit. The 306B and 3010 will give you 30A output to 6S batteries.

If you have a few more bucks, the FMA PowerLabs 8 and Hyperion 720 SDuo3 are the best chargers in the world. Both will output 40A to your 6S batteries or 20A to a 12S battery; it means you can charge a 700 class heli battery in 12 minutes.

Best Regards.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use two 125Ah deep cycles in series at the field for fast charging. 1 to 6 packs at a time up to 30A. Four 6s5000mah packs takes around 35 minutes.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

lots of good info here. if your field has power then definately get the best charger for your money. a few to check out :

hyperion super duo 3
- dual ports
- dual screens
icharger 3010b
-10s capable
-30A capable
powerlab 8 v2
-best software out of any charger
-40A capable

as for power supplies, you can't go wrong with building one from two server power supplies if you have the proper tools and know how. Whatever charger you plan on getting, research and make sure it has the features you want in a charger with the future in mind. You can't go wrong with any that has been mentioned in this thread. With lipo tech getting better and better, whynot purchase a beast of a charger? 5c+ charge rates will keep your heli in the air with no wait time and less lipos to take to the field.

sly, i've read that the powerlab 8 can actually do a "regenerative" discharge meaning when its discharing the lipos, it can put the power back into the power source. pretty cool, especially if you're using deep cycle marine batts.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix View Post

i've read that the powerlab 8 can actually do a "regenerative" discharge meaning when its discharing the lipos, it can put the power back into the power source. pretty cool, especially if you're using deep cycle marine batts.
Several of the high output chargers have this feature.
I guess it is a good selling feature, especially if you charge from Pb batteries, but how often do you discharge your LiPo on your charger?
I always try to fly them out.
And besides if you use a PS it isn't any help.
The WoodCrafter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought a powerlab pl6, smaller and less $ than a PL8, this is a really nice charger, it was between this and and an icharger 306b, I am really glad I went with the powerlab. Powered by a couple server power supplys I will never have to upgrade!
joesimmers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in