Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Used Raptor 30 Help!

Hello,

My Father decided he wanted an RC helicopter, and built a Raptor 30 V1 in the late '90's. He tried flying it and never got very far, and it's basically been sitting in his basement ever since.

Lately, I've been getting into the hobby with micro-heli's...Right now I fly a Nano CPX (I'm working towards 3D flight), I've been flying a simulator quite a bit, and I started buying components to build a T-Rex 250 Pro DFC kit.

My plan was that after I got my 250 into the air and had some practice flying it I would buy my Dad's Raptor from him. However, he came by the other day and dropped the whole thing off...FM transmitter, flight box, and all...

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to get it in the air. I have a Spektrum DX-8 and an AR6210 receiver that I'd like to use with it...Will it work, or should I get a different receiver? Will I need a satellite receiver for that model?

Should I disassemble the helicopter and lube/check everything?

It has a Futaba GY401 gyro and S9253 tail servo with JR NES-537 servos everywhere else...Are these good, or should I upgrade? If so, to what?

Right now he has a 4 cell NiCd battery in there (believe it or not, it still powers up)...What kind replacement battery would you recommend (I was leaning toward a NiMh...Not sure what size I need)?

It has an OS Max SX 32 motor...is there a good way to test-run and trim out the motor on the heli, or do I need a test stand? Is there anything in particular I should do to the motor after it's been sitting so long?

He also has some fuel that he bought for it back then, and he briefly had it running on it a few months ago...I can't imagine that would be good for it, but I'm really not sure. Is there anyway to use that fuel (for a model, or for anything else), or should I just dispose of it?

I'm still thinking I want to concentrate on my future T-Rex 250 first (not a lot of big open spaces near me), but I'm also pretty excited to get this in the air.

Is there anything I didn't mention, that you would recommend before flying this model (other than AMA insurance and finding a good large flying field)?

Thanks!
Bonkgr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Update:

Ok, I've done some research, and I'm sticking with the existing gyro and servos, figured out what to do with the motor, but I'm really still wondering if it's worth doing a full take-down and re-lube.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Raptor 30 is going to be a completely different machine than the micros. I used to fly the micros too, but now I'm addicted to the awesome sound, sight and visceral experience of flying my nitro Raptors. They will fly in windy conditions and have a supreme "Presence" in the air.

Since you're asking for opinions, a heli that old should be taken apart and rebuilt with new: Tail belt, head dampers, replace all bushings with bearings, links, clutch liner, autorotation one-way drive assembly, fresh Loctite and setup.

The radio system of your choice, but I would replace all of the old servos. As far as the engine goes, definitely run a new, quality heli-blend fuel. Since you're a 3D pilot, the .32 engine may lack the power to satisfy you for hard maneuvers.

Side note- Carbon blades are a good idea for high head-speeds.
mr96walrus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A good option for servos is the audacity promodeler servos. $40 cyclics and a $55 tail, high voltage capable. These will be going in my raptor soon.

I wonder if the audacity carbon tail boom would work, too?
minatrix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr96walrus View Post

Side note- Carbon blades are a good idea

+1

My first 30 (a shuttle) had one of the old wood blades let go in flight. It looked like a bomb went off in the heli. Boom! -parts flying in all directions. Main shaft bent almost to a 90. Needless to say, I'm done w wood blades.

If you look around, you could probably find a suitable set of blades for around $20-30, maybe less.

Something like these
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=565809
minatrix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks for the advice!

Thanks! First off, I'm a decent pilot, but I'm really working towards 3D right now...So I probably won't be flying it hard 3D for some time...

Does a .50 motor just slide right in with a larger set of blades, or would I need to modify the mount?

Most of what you said makes a lot of sense...Replacing the aged soft parts, bearings for bushings, fresh Loctite and lube...

The servos are a bit of a sticking point for me...Not that I don't see the advantage in replacing them, just trying to figure out which ones would be the most bang for the buck...

The ones in there now are all plastic geared, and the only digital one is the tail...So what should I get? I can find a set of Align (3xDS615 & a DS655) or Spektrum (3xH6040 & a H6080) on E-Bay for around $150 to $250 (I'm figuring on just replacing the cyclic, aileron, elevator, and tail...I'll probably put the digital Futaba on the throttle). Or, I can find a set of MG's for $30 (I'm guessing that you get what you pay for)...The Audacity ones look nice, but for the price I may as well go with Align or Spektrum...Right?

Also, would a Spektrum AR6210 work in that model without a satellite receiver (I happen to have one laying around), or should I either (a) find a satellite for it or (b) get a better receiver?

Just to confirm, that Futaba GY401 is still a decent Gyro, and would work with current digital servos, right?

I'm also considering an Align 2 in 1 Voltage Regulator...Good idea, or should I just go with a NiMh battery?

I've got a set of wooden blades (which I think I'm not going to risk) and a new set of fiberglass blades...I could see a CF upgrade in the future, but I was thinking about starting with those...

Where do you find new parts for this bird? I've seen some new old stock on E-Bay, but I'm not finding much else...Is anyone making aftermarket stuff? Is there a comparable electric 550 with interchangeable parts?

Even if I buy a new tail belt, for example, is a new belt that's been sitting in the package for 10 years much better than the one that's on there (OK maybe not the best example, because that one could be stretched just from sitting, but you get my point...))

Sorry, a lot of newbie questions I know, but I'm just trying to figure out exactly what my best options are for this thing without breaking the bank.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The .50 engine will bolt in with the .50 motor mount. They usually make more power at a lower RPM, so the 85t/10t gearing (8.5:1) is what most guys switch to with a .50. Then you need 600mm blades and the longer boom/belt.

The wooden blades are fine for head speeds under about 1700 RPM, just be sure to glue the grips to the blade root per the Raptor manual.

I don't know anything about the Spektrum radios, as I've never had one...
The Futaba 401 should be fine. I personally run a 2S Lipo in both of my Raptors. I use a 6V BEC with a 5 amp continuous/ 7.5 burst and never had a problem.

I understand what you're saying about the belt, I would bet that a belt you buy off the shelf is going to be much newer than the one that's in it. These helicopters are still popular and Thunder Tiger still makes parts for them. Speaking of, I buy all of my parts from Helikraft.com. I know some guys have had bad experiences with them but I've ordered from them about five times now and have always received my parts in about a week.

The E550 Raptor is the electric version that uses different frames, same head and tail. This is also a great flying machine. You could convert a Raptor 30 into an E550 with just a few parts, I did this with my first 30 that I bought.

All of this talk about the Raptor is making anxious to get in the air...
mr96walrus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in