Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > Raptor G4/E720

Raptor G4/E720 Thunder Tiger Raptor G4/E720 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can someone pls explain what's the best way to check CG?
Spindle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

The heli is designed around 4400/4500 mah packs. It's light so you don't need 5000 capacity to get decent flight times. I am using it with a Jive BEC so no onboard lipo at the front and 4400 6S lipos of 700 gr each. It balances perfectly. 800 gr per pack is heavy for this heli.

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
The heli is designed around 4400/4500 mah packs. It's light so you don't need 5000 capacity to get decent flight times. I am using it with a Jive BEC so no onboard lipo at the front and 4400 6S lipos of 700 gr each. It balances perfectly. 800 gr per pack is heavy for this heli.
I haven't read that it's designed for 4400/4500. Is that written down? Because the heli turns out to be tail heavy, I was wondering why 800g packs are too heavy.

Is it just that the heli is light, and it's a shame to put heavy packs in, or is there an actual problem? I would expect the heli would be nose-heavy if 800 is too much.

I am planning on using 5000mAh packs, so I'm curious whether others have found them acceptable.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I meant nose-heavy, and didn't spot that you said yours balanced because you don't have a Rx pack at the front. Still surprised it balanced, but good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickybit View Post
I haven't read that it's designed for 4400/4500. Is that written down? Because the heli turns out to be tail heavy, I was wondering why 800g packs are too heavy.

Is it just that the heli is light, and it's a shame to put heavy packs in, or is there an actual problem? I would expect the heli would be nose-heavy if 800 is too much.

I am planning on using 5000mAh packs, so I'm curious whether others have found them acceptable.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine balances out perfectly with 740gram packs, they are 35C 5200mAh Desire powers.
But I am looking for a way to mount my yge120hv such that I dont have to remove the canopy but I cant find a way...
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyvG View Post
Mine balances out perfectly with 740gram packs, they are 35C 5200mAh Desire powers.
But I am looking for a way to mount my yge120hv such that I dont have to remove the canopy but I cant find a way...
I would love to know what flight time people get with their 4500 vs 5000 packs.
What is the difficulty with the YGE, is the width?
Just asking because want to place a Mezon on mine, which is long and narrow. Also outside the canopy.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just made a new topic to see how other people did it.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=566484
I wouldnt prefer to have the esc hanging on the outside of the frames. Also the cable routing will be a bit awkward then. So I plan on putting the 120hv between lipo and tailcase.

btw, currently I drain 60% in 5minutes from the 5200mAh packs on 2000rpm and it still only weighs 4.75kg
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I meant it's a pity to use 5000. I talked extensively with Nick when he was in Argentina and he explained this. It's more in the pack weight. As mentioned a 35C 5200 could very well fall in the weight ideal. Using 800 gram packs and putting an onboard lipo will make it difficult to balance and you'll be carrying around 300 gr of not needed weight. Nothing wrong with a heavier setup (specially in the wind) since this heli is light to start with, but the balance problem will be a issue. It's nice to have a nose heavy heli for a change. Most helis these days end up being tail heavy.

I have the Jive with the battery leads pointing backwards, and the lipos connect to the back as well. No receiver pack so I can fly all day without removing the canopy, which makes me a bit nervous. It's like there is a lot of stuff you don't see regularly, if something is about to fail (connector about to come off, FBL sensor coming loose) you won't see it.

My flight time with 4400 is 5 mins. If I really push it, 4:30. If I use a 1600 rpm head speed above 6 mins. I am waiting for a new Jlog to forget about timer and second guessing flight time.

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you like the 700 Marcos, im seriously tempted having sold my 720
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's absolutely fantastic. My first flight I was using old Radix FBL V1 690s and I can swear it flew like the TDR. It's been a while since I setup a Vbar on a new heli and I don't need to change anything at all in the setup after maiden, only the tail blades as I mentioned, no reprogramming one thing. It's a heli you don't fear flying, trustworthy in its design and quality, is agile as can be, very sweet cyclic and tail feel, stupid light. Just wonderful. I even like the canopy!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sweet! My build is about half-way through, and I haven't had any issues with malformed or missing parts. It's very different than my other helis. I'm enjoying the bell cranks, weird internal main shaft collar...

I think I'll finish the mechanical tonight (just the tail stuff) and then start fiddling w/ the electronics and CG. I got an extra gyro mount surface for the tail to add some flexibility. I'm going to mount the ESC on the side, and I have a Reactor HXV that I'll need to place carefully to get all the servo wires running through it. I know, not the lightest set up possible, but I'm excited to have as solid a setup as I can.

I just hope I can get it together for a weekend maiden!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickybit View Post
I got an extra gyro mount surface for the tail to add some flexibility.
Do you need to buy an extra gyro mount or can you just mount the original gyro mount at the back and move the rear frame supports to the front? Thanks.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Do you need to buy an extra gyro mount or can you just mount the original gyro mount at the back and move the rear frame supports to the front? Thanks.

Cheers,
TomC
Either way. It's also easy to put them in or out. So I have a couple platforms, will figure out wiring, and any unused platform I'll pull.

Indeed, the parts are the same, so you can move the one that comes w/ the kit as you see fit.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks mate!

cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk View Post
The gyro tray can be fitted to the rear, as well as the front, so you could move some weight back by moving the FBL to the back

Thanks for pointing this out. I just got a Jeti REX7 for my e700 and it's just a little bit too big to fit on top of the elevator servo where I had an R3/RSW previously.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in