Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Black Mini Vbar 5.2 +DX8 w/ ONE DSMX sat or TWO DSM2 sats or RX + Sat/s

I posted this in the Vbar section, but it's not getting much coverage there, I though maybe the Spektrum section is a better choice.

I've got a Black Mini Vbar with 5.2 pro. I wanted to know what the safest and best RX setup would be with it. Here is what I have available to use, TX is a DX8, I don't care about the model weight.

1 (ONE) AR8000
1 (ONE) DSMX Satellite
1 (ONE) AR7600
2 (TWO) DSM2 Satellites

So, what is the safest and best setup with the gear I have available. I realize that two DSMX Sats with the AR8000 would probably be ideal, but I only have one and don't want to buy another.

Option one - Vbar & AR8000
Option two - Vbar & AR8000 + One DSMX sat
Option three Vbar & One DSMX sat
Option four - Vbar & One AR7600
Option five Vbar & AR7600 + one DSM2 sat
Option six Vbar & AR7600 + two DSM2 sats
Option Seven Vbar & One DSMX sat + One DSM2 sat (I know, shouldn't do that)

See my dilemma, there are many variations, which is the safest?, I only fly with 2 other guys, both fly Futaba, keep that in mind. I wouldn't mind using my TM1000 at some point, but any of those combinations will support the TM for flight pack voltage at least (right?) This is going in a 700e so I don't have space or weight issues (I'm aware of the suggested size limit for the black mini, no need to point it out)

Thank you, I'd appreciate any input.
phranticness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats way too many decisions.
Get a AR7200BX with one sat.Plug it all in and go fly.
You asked.
Actually you will probably get a better response in the vbar forum.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What size heli is very important. Do not fly anything larger than a 450 with only on Sat. I personally use two Sats even on my 450 just for redundancy reasons. A cable failure can take you out running just one Sat an it can happen.

Also you cannot combine externalRX (using patch cables) and Sats with Vbar. One or two sats plugged directly into the Vbar or just the external RX and sat.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the response guys -

aerocal - - I did say "any input"

MXRACERX43 - Good Point, one bad connection and with a single sat...... (also, I meant pluging the sats into the RX, but I see what you mean, the AR8000 only has one sat port, as does the 7600, duh, don't know what I was thinking)
That helps narrow the choices. AR8000+one sat or Two DSM2 Sats. Which is better and or safer, and why?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your flying at huge events DSMX may be safer.If not then just using the vbar with sats may be safer.Every connector is a potential point of failure so the less connections you have the less chance of failure.Then again just about every component on a heli is a potential point of failure.
I kind of think no matter how you do it if you use quality components and dont cut corners
it should work fine for you.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the input.

I choose the AR8000 and DSMX sat for two reasons. One - I wanted to used both leads from the BEC, I could have made a "Y" lead off a servo connection, but I thought this would be easier. Two - I wanted to use the TM1000, it would work with the mini alone, but I'd again have to use a "Y" and would have no RX Signal info, using the 8000 gives me the option to take advantage of all the options.

Although I agree with you aerocal, in that more connections is more chance for failure, using sats alone will make several extra connections for BEC supply and TM1000 connections. I do want to make sure there there are no voltage drop issues, I think it's a cleaner install with the physical RX and no "Y" leads.

If this were on a 450, or even a 500 I think the sats alone would have been a cleaner setup (no external BEC on either of those)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly both my helis with mini-v and two dsmx sats. No issues ever!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm not saying the two sats would be any issue. The reason I choose to run the RX, was so I would not have to may "Y's" in the wiring for servo power and for the TM1000. I felt it was cleaner to install the RX with jumpers between the RX and Mini V, rather than Sats and Y's to the servo connections. In reality, either way would probably look fine and of course work fine, it's under the canopy anyways, but last reason was so I'd have full capability of the TM1000, without a RX I wouldn't have accurate fades and holds (at least that's what I've read, without an official RX, the fades and holds will be ambiguous numbers).

phranticness
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably a good decision.The TM1000 will allow more accurate signal integrity data.You may also want to use other sensors in the future also.Either way just make a decision and do it.It will work fine either way.Personally I dont like mulling over what ifs.Its not like your chiseling it in stone.You can always reconfigure.
HELIFREAK !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in