Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius cp will not stay up for long

My genius cp will only stay in the for a minute or do then it drop to the ground it will not continue to lift even at max throttle I have replaced the motor checked the battery wire its connected good basically I have narrowed it down to a setting on my devo 7 I just don't no what setting could be causing this I also have a new genius I got today and it is doing the same thing any help would be greatly appreciated
jb1024 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

o great, mine is doing this and I ordered the motor today.

Now you say it didnt fix the problem?

shite.

Is your main gear tight? no slop in the head?
is your motor tight?

Last edited by ebeing; 02-28-2012 at 09:11 AM..
ebeing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

A problem like this should be with either the motor or the battery. Does the new motor behave exactly like the old one? Maybe it works just a little better or worse? I would try a new motor and use a battey I know that's good.

I can't think of a setting in the radio that would do this. Of course, I don't use the devo though; I'm using the 2801 pro.
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have tried a new battery and my brand new genius it does the same thing as my other genius
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had you been playing with radio settings. What led you to this point? Things were working fine then maybe you lost a motor and then while waiting for a new motor you tried tweaking the radio? The more we know how you got here the more someone may have a clue for you.
Sounds like something simple.
Intheway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya your right I have been trying new setting I find on these forums and rcg to see if it fixes the problem but haven't had any luck yet there are still many settings I am unfamiliar with witch i avoid changing because i dont know exactly what they do witch is making this more difficult for me to locate the problem one good thing is I have a new genius too test to see if its acting the same as the older one
Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If any more info is needed to help me just post and I will try to explain myself further into detail thx to every one here for helping
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

What settings do you remember changing? Something must have been set in the transmitter to make it do this, although I'm not sure what. I don't know of anything in my 2801 that would do this.. I am unsure of the devo.

How many batteries do you have? Are you sure your batteries aren't just going bad prematurely? You said it flies fine for a minute? If you just sit there and hover, will it eventually just lose power/headspeed and land, or does the headspeed stay the same and you just lose pitch?

It still sounds like something mechanical, not a setting in the radio.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only thing that came to mind on the Devo is to check to make sure that in the Travel Adjust menu you have the H and L settings for the Throttle to 100% on each. If you tweaked this down, the batteries would appear to die fast because you never have enough 'throw' on the throttle. I think jonbailie may be on to something with the batteries too. That would explain why the new one acts the same as would a radio setting. The only other thing to check on the radio would be the Throttle Curve for the Flight Mode (normal or 0) that you are using, and be sure that the curve still goes all the way up to at least 80% if not 100% as you go up the throttle curve.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have tried a new battery that came with my new genius and checked the trvad settings they are all at 100 % still no luck
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems like the motor can't keep up with the pitch after about half throttle I Dont understand it sounds so much like a motor or wiring issue but it's the same thing with my new genius
Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is your throttle curve like? Maybe it's set too low to create useful lift. On these micro motors, it can sound like you have a lot of head speed (with a low throttle curve) until you lift off, then it bogs down to the point that it won't lift its own weight.

Does this sound like what is happening to you?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to be safe, I would set the throttle curve to 0.25.50.75.100 to make sure that's not the issue. See if that helps any.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the connections of the battery wires, especially to the board. Sometimes they come loose. My Genius did the same thing you are describing until I resoldered the wires to the board and switched to micro deans.
jorge141020 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I discovered if I switch to 3 axis mode I can hover much longer without the heli dropping so quickly I've tested on both my new and older genius same result however still have the issue if I pin the throttle it will drop and Jon I changed my throttle curves to the numbers you mentioned above tried them in 6 axis also but it dropped substantially quicker than in 3 axis
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could it be that 6 axis mode sucks more juice than 3?

What is 6 axis mode anyway, are there 6 gyros?
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too am having the same problem. My brother bought a Mini CP and gave me his Genius CP that he bought a month ago. He was having problems with it and gave up on it. He passed it on to me to try and tinker with it. This however is my first CP heli and have no clue what I am doing either.

The Genius came with the A05 BL motor, Pro tail, (3) 3.7v 200mAh batts and the Devo 8 TX.

My brother said he was having difficulty flying it and said that he has not messed with any settings in the TX or the receiver board. Also no adjustments to the servo arms. All stock the way it came out of the box.

When I got it, I tried to fly it and noticed at 50% throttle, the motor ran fine, but going beyond 50%, (Normal Mode) the motor would begin to bog down and the heli would not lift. I tried all 3 batteries fully charged and had the same result. I went into the reverse switch settings on the TX and reversed the pitch to see if this made a difference. I could actually get the heli to hover at this point, but it would still bog down over 50% throttle and drop back down.

I decided to order and replace the A05 brushless motor with the stock motor thinking this might fix the problem. I put it in today and it did the same thing. Only difference is I had to switch the reverse back to normal on the pitch.

While I was flying it today, If I got higher thab 65 -70% throttle, it would bog down and drop again. Then if I went below 50% it would start to rise again.

I have no clue what is going on with it, but would sure like some advice if anyone has any.
nascar1929 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

First off I know it is too late for this incident but a trick we all use and you will want to use going forward is the ‘model copy’ function. This allows you to make sure that when everything seems to be working perfect, you simply use ‘MC’ to make another copy of that model. It’s not only is like the equivalent of a backup, but it also saves the binding etc. so it is a life saver sometimes.

As you learn how things on the heli work, and how the transmitter is able to help personalize all of the things that make it easier for you to learn, you will want to start tweaking things and watching the results. If the bird goes haywire after you make the mistake of changing several things at the same time it is so cool to know you have a “reference point” set down by your previous MC. At the starter level (I’m really still here myself) it can come in real handy to go back to a “known good xmitter setup” when things like this crop up. Too late for this pass, but I can’t tell you how valuable it is to have something (backup) to fall back on at times like this.

All That said…
In 6x it adds a couple of accelerometers to the 3x gyro info so they can detect moments of movement and not just the other stuff to keep things level. It does draw more power because the processing is more and not so much the sensors themselves, but the difference is not noticeable when switching modes back and forth. It is so small you would have to measure flight times, but I’m guessing not more than 5% difference. In other words that isn’t it.
On both birds, be sure that when you spin it up a bit and shut the throttle down, the blades should coast to a stop and not stop abruptly. This is easier to see with a coreless than brushed or brushless and since I don’t recall what the mini has at least pay attention to the gear mesh since if it is too tight it will suck. (batteries I mean)

Make sure that in your xmitter you have some of this other stuff that as an admitted beginner I still don’t fully understand so I wonder if your tweaking could have changed these items.

Fail Safe
All set to Holding
Mix to Throttle
Channel (check ALL 3… ALE ELE and RUD)
Switch
Select always On.
UP 0%
DOWN 0%
Program Mix
No.1 Inhibit

Hummm… getting late.
Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheway View Post
In 6x it adds a couple of accelerometers to the 3x gyro info so they can detect moments of movement and not just the other stuff to keep things level. It does draw more power because the processing is more and not so much the sensors themselves, but the difference is not noticeable when switching modes back and forth. It is so small you would have to measure flight times, but I’m guessing not more than 5% difference. In other words that isn’t it.
Thanks for that! Not only the explanation but the evaluation that 6x isn't the issue.

It seemed strange to me that they would add functionality that was a battery drainer, but ya never know. ;-)
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

In 6-axis mode, the gyros keep the swash level no matter what the angle of the heli. If you hold it in your hand, with the heli turned on, you can notice that when you turn it sideways, or forwards/backwards, the swash will stay much more level than it normally would in 3-axis. In 3-axis, the swash will move a little bit, then revert to normal again. In 6-axis, it will keep moving as you turn the heli, keeping the bird upright. You cannot flip the heli in 6-axis mode because of this.

Also, in 6-axis, the head speed is slightly higher, so this may help you maintain lift a little longer. Exactly how long does the bird stay in the air? I get right around 3 minutes, or a little longer, of flight time before I shut it off. I can get close to 4 or just over, if I wait until the board cuts off the motor due to voltage drop.

As for your problem, I'm really not sure what is going on. If you've tried a new motor, and a new battery (or a couple of new batteries), then it's either the receiver board, or a setting in the transmitter. That's really the only things that are left. Connections could cause an issue like this, so you could check to make sure they are good. Check on the rx board, where the battery wires are soldered and glued into it, to make sure they have a bit of glue on them, and no wires are stripped or bare. Make sure the motor plug on the board is secure, also. Other than this, it has to be a board problem, or some sort of transmitter setting I'm unaware of. Maybe someone else can chime in about the devo settings. Maybe some sort of failsafe or voltage cutoff (even though there is no telemetry) setting or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in