Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Cypher 3D

Cypher 3D EF Cypher 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightbill View Post
As I mentioned I checked the Hobby People website yesterday and the Cypher was on sale for $ 99.99. The sale ended yesterday! Oh well. At least I put my name on their email list so when it comes on sale again I will pick one up. In case any one is interested the price is back to $ 139.99. Still not a bad price for what you get. Still trying to put together my HK-450.
hey eflight,here ya go, cypher is on sale again for $99 at hobbypeople! better grab one, or two, hey hey!

Chris
maddog57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I need to move to the US

Still waiting on Ripmax for my flybar mixer arm set and main frame - for $99 I'd be able to have one as a spare parts bin while I waited for Ripmax's back-orders.

I got my new 99c gear set for my HXT900 I stripped (first one and it took a great deal of effort) from HongKong this morning, an entire transaction taking less time that Ripmax UK have to supply simple spare parts for a current model.

It's lucky I'm not bitter about Ripmax's just-not-in-time inventory system .
Globs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelsteel View Post
Cyclic response is unbelievable. Any way to tame that? The Heli is kind of nose heavy. I am using Outrage 2200 LiPo's. I also would like to put HS65MG's in it. Anyone have them in theirs? I wish there was a better battery mount and the landing gear seems brittle to me. I already broke the end of a landing skid off.
reelsteel - I'm also about to install HS65MG's...when I bought the model the LHS said these servos are a bit of a tight fit, and that they touch and bend the frame slightly when installed. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking about packing out the back of the servo tab to avoid this. Also the Cypher was reviewed in the August 08 issue of Model Helicopter World mag, who suggest using about 10% expo to tame the twitchy cyclic.

Apparently a slightly-heavy nose helps with the vertical segment of stall turns ...'spoke to someone recently who owns 3 cyphers and has the tail servo mounted right at the back of the heli's with a 2" pushrod. 'Not sure how it affect the aerodynamics in backwards flight but might help even out the CofG.

I'll report back on how the 65MG install goes
Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heli-c

Cool, let me know what you had to do to make them fit. I have a Mini Titan SE which I love and that has the 65MG's in it. The only thing I had to do was dremel the servo mounts a litte to make them wider.
reelsteel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

heli-c, I moved the tail servo to the rear of the boom using a 2" rod also. I also moved the esc to the underside of the rear skid frame and put the secondary Spektrum rx on the tray above the battery. All this helped alot to level the cypher out. I'm not able to fly backwards yet as I'm still new and trying to master the hover, so can't attest to how that tail servo location would effect areodynamics, but doesn't seem like it would.

I'm about to install hs65 servos on mine to replace the crappy Cirrus 302bb's that the manual recomends. I read on another cypher forum that using thin servo arms cut to size as shims works well to get the clearence between the pitch and aileron servos cuz the 65's are just a tad tall and touch eachother.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Chris
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a cypher too...a while back when they had them for $100. Did you guys notice it had a tight rotor head? Moving the flybar, the linkages are so tight that the swash plate tilts with it. I know it won't move w/ the servos hooked up but it's pretty tight. How have you guys fixed this problem?
fflier9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

fflier9 - I haven't noticed a tight rotor head per se although some of the links are much tighter than others...if they're moving the swash via the flybar they probably need loosening up a bit to avoid interaction.

I was thinking of sacrificing the lid of an empty ice cream tub (Haagen Dazs straberry cheescake is about 1.5mm thick) to make servo shims maddog57, never can have too many servo arms in the spares box imo looking forward to starting the build tomorrow.

Cheers

Btw does any whose using the stock ESC know whether its putting out 4.8v or 6.0v? I'm nervous about plugging a Futaba s3154 into the gyro/ receiver with this unit as they become very fragile at 5V and above...thanks

Last edited by heli-c; 04-03-2009 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Btw
heli-c is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Tight rotor head

You are right it has tight rotor head. The most tight parts are on flybar control and flybar mixing arms. I founded that there are two types control rod ends – short and long. The short are quite loose and I turned it upside down between main blade holders and mixing arms. You cannot replace short with long it will not fit between mixing arm and main blade grip. For flybar control and mixing arms I used ball linking sizing tool from heliDirect. This is part HR1007 4.75mm little to big for Cipher, which has balls 4.54mm. I squeezed it put some oil and made some adjustments.
I also change pinion to 14T and set expo to +35. It hovers very smooth and I am able to keep it almost in dead center.
Now I have two Ciphers I couldn’t reset to buy another one for $99.99 as my backup.
Olgierd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not posted in a while. Nice to see more of us flying this nice helicopter.

So far I have had good luck with my Cypher. I have not had any issues with the Airtronics 94091 micro servo, Logitec 2100T gyro with the 3100G digi servo.

I am doing back flips, FF, front flips, rolls, and am just getting to some circuits. I need to order some more of the $13.00 carbon blades. I am down to 1 spare set.

I see it is on sale for $99.99 again until the 5th of April.

Dru.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi all,

Dru, good to see ya post. Seems that maybe the Cypher is finally starting to catch on. I need to replace 2 of my cyclic servos cuz of my last crash. I've been using Cirrus 302bb's. One slight crash and it stripped the gears on me. They're pretty cheap. I have hs65's to put in but would like to try the 94091's. Haven't heard anything bad about them.

Being new I'm having a hell of a time keeping her in the air for more than 5 - 10 sec before I need to set it down cuz I'm starting to lose it or else I start to lose it and can't keep control and down she goes. Just a matter of practice, I know, but I can do well on the sim, but the sim and the real thing are like two different worlds! Was it the same for any of you guys when you were learning? So... I just keep hammerin' away on both knowing one day it'll all come together. In the meantime I love the build/repair/set-up part of helis too. I like hearing what everybody has to say of their experiences, set-ups and opinions.

Go Cypher !!

Chris
Old 04-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

is the cypher heli on sale today for $99 is this heli really worth and is parts availability in demand or why is this heli on sale too many time do u think they are gonna disscontine later down the line some times i just wonder?
crysis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey guys. im just starting out I really like to buy this heli great price . but can anyone can tell me if the esc that come w/this heli any good? because i read in other blogs its gets too hot is that because they are on stunt mode and pushing this bird too its limits? or will this esc be ok for general flying just still in hovering for me any way i have a belt cp and it seems its hard to dial in on hover without upgradeor mods on fly bar contrl.arms it has lots of slop thou. will the cypher do better in hov.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Chris, put some expo in your controls. It will soften the center of your stick so it is not as touchy. I could fly inverted, death spirals, loops rolls, and almost everything else on the sim. I could hover side in, in real life. It was the pucker factor that got me. On the sim I hit the red button and I was ready to fly. I was not out a $100.00 for every crash.

The Airtronics 94091 servos work great. I have 2 pretty good crashes and 2 minor crashes and have not stripped a gear yet. No slop and they hold position very well. At $14.00 on sale at Hobby People they work great.

Crysis, the ESC is good. Cut the shrink wrap off the heat sink, mount the ESC so the air flow cools the heat sink. I have about 50 plus flights on the stock motor and ESC. Mine is holding up to my flying. I am in no way considered a super 3D pilot, just above novice. I can do flips and rolls and a little forward flight.

Dru.,
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crysis,

The Cypher is well worth the $99. I think it keeps going on sale for one of 2 reasons. One maybe they are just trying to make it more popular and sell more, or two, maybe upgrades are coming! Not that they are needed. I learned to fly on a honeybee king2 . If you buy the Cypher you will be impressed. It is pretty high performance. Head speed is crazy.
reelsteel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[quote=blvdbuzzard;1227666]Chris, put some expo in your controls. It will soften the center of your stick so it is not as touchy. I could fly inverted, death spirals, loops rolls, and almost everything else on the sim. I could hover side in, in real life. It was the pucker factor that got me. On the sim I hit the red button and I was ready to fly. I was not out a $100.00 for every crash.

Yea, expo! I have 15% dialed in now, so I'll add somemore. maybe 20 - 25% and see if that helps me .

The "PUCKER FACTOR" haaaaa! That's exellent! That is exactly what I get. I need to get over that, thanks Dru!

Crysis, Hobbypeople and Rons Heliproz South has all the spares for our Cyphers.

Chris
Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks guys just bought my first cypher this afternoon about 12pm so happy...but 15 min. later after checking it at home.... i had to return the dam thing a factory defect major binding when u give pitch control or something on the shaft not bent thou. anyway exchanged it, got back set it up and just when i check for tracking the main head wobbled shit bad day another d fect... ok not good at all makes me wonder why its on sale . gee a bit frustra..... but finally and just may be i could give this new born its first hover tomorro morning after i buy a new tail blade,tail control arm w/blade holder . an accident just happend as i was spooling up fur got to hold the heli down and poof!! by by and gonna buy a tail how stupid ill let u know how it went ..... ill shoot the next black cat to cross my path..... wish me luck
Old 04-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 65MG install

Morning guys, got the servo's installed this morning; I've used 2mm slices of fuel tubing which compress down to about 1.5 mm to provide clearance between the servos. The holes in the frame don't line up exactly with the servo mounting lugs - you can see the slight angle of the screws on the elevator servo. The frames also needed a little sanding/ Dremel to house the 65s - go easy though as the frame material dissapears rapidly. The cyclic servo pushrods meet the swashplate at quite an angle - I hope the interaction isn't too severe...

I called Ripmax on Friday and nobody there could confirm if the ESC puts out 4.8 or 6V - I'm using an Align voltage regulator with the Futaba S3154 to minimise the risk of prematurely burning it out. These servos hate 6.0V apparently...

maddog57 - agree with you about the simulator...with mine I aways use 5-10 mph wind and turbulence to make it a bit more 'real'. Recently I felt that my sim practise was getting too far ahead of real flying so I plan to do more flying and less simming to 'catch up'

Should have the build completed today - can't wait to fly this heli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4585-copy.jpg
Views:	1327
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	89918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4586-copy.jpg
Views:	1342
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	89919  
Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice pics i put my esc at the bottom of the gyro and reciver top of batt. i notice its head is too heavy any sugestions... some guys put lead at the back or weights is this a good idea oh and how much pitch on the tail do i need?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey crysis,

What receiver/ battery are you using? I've installed a Spektrum 6100e under the gyro, and the ESC below the main gear above the rear undercarriage strut. The only item I have forward of the main shaft is the battery/ motor. Supporting the flybar at right angles to the heli the nose hardly deflects downwards, so maybe install your receiver towards the back...if its a 6100 or similar 2.4gig park flyer its probably too light to make much difference though. The Cypher is designed to be under 800g RTF so personally I'm loathe to solve CG issues by adding rear ballast...

Rudder-wise I'm still setting up so I'll report back with some ballpark settings...remember though I'm a nooby too I'll aim for between 4 and 6 degrees at midstick and take it from there...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

heli c i use a 3s cell 20 c batt i belive its 1800 or 2200 fur get but yea its nose heavy.. reciver mounted just above the batt mounts just like EF recomends and relocated esc to the reer just behind the motor about the rear skids but still too heavy oh and i, using a reciver from my belt cp it seems prety good for now but in the future up grade ok

Tags
airtronics, cypher, make that the esc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in