Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Batteries: What type and how many?

Hello all!

What type of batteries do you use (brand, 150/160/200/other, etc) and how many do you have? I'm doing the noob single battery pack and definitely need to order more. I was just wondering what to get and where to get them, considering my LHS doesn't have anything in stock.
lespaulrob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I switched both of my MSRX's over to the MCPX battery ( 200mah 30C ) and it has paid off in several ways. I get better flight times, and a little better power, and they are easy to find with good prices.
I have 13 Eflight 200mah and 5-nano-tech 300 mah batteries.
I found some Eflights on ebay for $1.99 plus $1.99 shipping so I stocked up. I just got 3- 300 mah 35 C nano batteries to go along with the 2 I already had from a trade, bit I mostly use those in my MCPX's.
That was another benefit from the switch over to the bigger batteries once I got my 2 MCPX's, it gave me plenty of batteries to fly both.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 200mah MCPx batteries are nice but you will need to switch to MCPx skids as well to accomodate. I enjoy the 160mah nano techs. They are very cheap ($1.50) and I have had good life and power out of them. For $1.50 just charge and fly until the LVC hits. I didn't care for the 200's as much. They seemed a bit sluggish but I also had some aftermarket CF skids on and I don't think the little bird liked the weight of it all.
Lessthanryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem I found with the nano-techs is that they are fatter than the other 150-160mah batteries and didn't fit the skids.

Otherwise the nano-techs are nice and cheap, and seem to perform just fine.
DVC
RCNet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What is involved with changing the connector out for the 200's? Does it require soldering? I suck at that. haha! Also, where can you buy the new connectors if required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
I switched both of my MSRX's over to the MCPX battery ( 200mah 30C ) and it has paid off in several ways.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should have said something about the fact that you do need to use the MCPX skids and that the skids fit just a little loose in the MSRX frame, but there are easy fixes for that.
As far as the sluggishness with the 200's, maybe it's just the way I fly or something, but i don't really feel that.
I fly it out doors and fly it hard and it seems fine to me, but we all have our own opinions and what we like and don't like.
I will say though that if you don't want to have to change anything with your bird and want to keep using the 160 size batteries, then stay with the Hyperion, nano tech's or Thunder power's. The Eflights are good, but they never seemed to last as long as the others.
I don't know that I agree with the flying until the LVC hits either. Now again, it's just my opinion, but I have not seemed to have much luck with any battery when i fly it to LVC and then land and recharge. I always time my flights and stop just before the LVC hit's. I believe it's a little easier on the batteries that way. Everybody will hit the LVC once in a while but to do it every flight that way is not good for the batteries. IMHO.
Maybe somebody that knows more then I do can chime in and set me straight.
I just know that since I started timed flights, my batteries have lasted much longer. The batteries don't seem to puff up as soon now and i get many more flights out of them, but i also have a much better computerized charger now which makes a huge difference.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano-Tech

I'm using the 160 mAh Nano-Tech. I have 12 of them, stripped the green front label to make them thinner.
I run them for 4 minute flights, to save battery and motors and recharge 6 at a time with a parallel charging cable.
I'm satisfied so far.
marsol is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hyperion G3 series. Little more costly.. but perform very well.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsol View Post
I'm using the 160 mAh Nano-Tech. I have 12 of them, stripped the green front label to make them thinner.
I run them for 4 minute flights, to save battery and motors and recharge 6 at a time with a parallel charging cable.
I'm satisfied so far.
I bought quite a few of these cheap off ebay. They seem to run well enough, though I have had a couple die after 20 or so flights. Yes they are too fat to get into the holder on the skids (or more importantly, too difficult to remove). I just cut through the bottom of the battery holder! Now it'll expand to fit the nanos, and normal thickness batteries fit as per normal.
teepeedoubleyou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

On battery sizes...I've been running stock E-Flite 150's (I have 2) and have been pushing the MSRX pretty hard and haven't had any issues with heat or motor failures. I've been doing 4 minute flights outside and have pretty much had it a full throttle the whole time (note that this is SO much fun, but I keep craving MORE speed!). I've also been oiling my motors after every 10th flight or so with Hoppes #9 Gun Oil.

Do you guys think that the motor failures are coming from the longer runtimes on the 160+ batteries? I've had my mouse hovering over "Buy it now" on some Hyperion 160's for more power/speed/runtimes and just thought I'd ask.

I wonder if I could just sell the wife on letting me get an MCPX.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaulrob View Post
Do you guys think that the motor failures are coming from the longer runtimes on the 160+ batteries? I've had my mouse hovering over "Buy it now" on some Hyperion 160's for more power/speed/runtimes and just thought I'd ask.

I'll chime in about motor failures since i'm on my 8th main.

It's really a crap-shoot. I've had motors fail with less than 30 flights and some last longer than 100.

back-to-back flights defiantly had a factor on the first few.

I think the factory was contaminated with metal dust which settled on the commutator shafts. I've opened several of my dead motors to discover the shafts eroded so much that an entire segment had worn off. Either that or the brushes are too hard.

Lubricants are good. MG's contact cleaner & lube is better.

I also use a heatsink at the top end. it seems to prolong their life a little.

Great battery selection ! I use Hyperion 160's and 240's. Real powerhouses, and if you treat them right you can expect at least 200 cycles (about where I'm at)
DX6i Phoenix 4.0
stiletto01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaulrob View Post
On battery sizes...I've been running stock E-Flite 150's (I have 2) and have been pushing the MSRX pretty hard and haven't had any issues with heat or motor failures. I've been doing 4 minute flights outside and have pretty much had it a full throttle the whole time (note that this is SO much fun, but I keep craving MORE speed!). I've also been oiling my motors after every 10th flight or so with Hoppes #9 Gun Oil.

No, not in my opinion.
I use the 200 mah MCPX batteries and I have only lost 1 motor since Jan. and i have flew the fire out of both of my MSRX's. About once a week I put a drop of Radio shack oil I bought in each of the top holes and 1 drop on the shaft of the motor and like I said, I have only lost 1 motor since Jan.
But i may have been lucky also. I hate to say it's because I use the oil without knowing 100%, but I know it seems to have worked for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in