Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question My 250 Trex 3GX V4.0 tail wag not mechanical

I feel like I've tried every combination of 3GX (v4.0) tail parameter settings and DX8 tx gains to get my 250's tail "locked in" with no success. It's a stock 250Trex DFC with a belt tail and a Phoenix 25.

It either wags or is way too soft............in a desperate attempt to eliminate the possibility of a mechanical set up problem I connected an old GP790 tail gyro through the receiver (just left the 3GX rudder and gear connectors unplugged). I tested it today in a 20km/h wind and the wag is gone and the tail feels solid................

I don't want to use this as permanent solution since I have another 250/3GX with satellites that has the same problem. I want the 3GX to do what I paid for it to do.......since I know that my problem isn't mechanical does anyone have any 3GX tail parameter combinations that might solve this mystery?
Hitchb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What tail servo are you running? I like v3.1 3gx better than 4.0

3gx doesn't work well with vibrations and the 250 sure produces a lot. With a stock tail servo on 3gx the tail hold is kind of weak if it's not wagging. Replaced with iKon and it holds great and doesn't wag. I was running a ds95i with 3gx and it was locked in. My 450 stole that servo and my 250 got the hand me down hitec 5084mg and held great and didn't wag.

IMO the 3gx really sucks badly and I gave it MANY chances with different helis and configurations. Never had one single tail issue with my GP900 or GP790 head lock gyros.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I gotta say vtown nick is 100% correct...

I got my 250 last September second hand off of HF. It was a full combo with 3gx 4.0 already installed on it.... The 250 flew like pure crap compared to my Trex 450 sport v2 running an Ikon with an Hyperion HS 2221 Kv 4400 motor. <-- that combo is pure insane speed on 3s but anyway.

I tried and tried and tried to like the 250 and I even got a ds95i with the 3gx... The tail was more locked in but it still flew like crap overall...

I put the 250 up for sale in the for sale forum because it just couldn't compare to my Ikon Trex 450 sport v2. I also hated flying it as well….

It didn't sell right away so I figured I would give it another try with a kbar because I didn't want to sink any more money into it. Well the kbar is leaps and bounds better than the 3gx on the 250 but it still doesn’t like vibs at all.

So this past week I picked up a second Ikon for my 250 and all I can say is WOW!!... My 250 now fly's like my 450 which is crazy fast and like it’s on rails. I absolutely love the 250+ds76 cyclic's+Ikon+ds95i+Talon 15 for about 317g all in.

I am sooooo glad I didn't sell my 250 and so glad for vtown nick posting his videos of the 250 with the Ikon and pushing how well it fly's.. It's a night and day difference with how it fly’s and changes direction almost as fast as my Trex 150.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I took Vtown's advise and ordered an Ikon for my 250.............based on my experience with the 3gx..............I have 2 AR7200's, one on a Goblin 500 and the other on a Trex 450.....both are 100% predictable to ALL stick inputs.

I have 6 birds on the 3gx, three on 250's......one has a 5084 on the boom that holds without wagging but gets as hot as the motor after a flight, the one I flew today has a rock solid tail but that's because the GP790 'was doing the work on the back end!!, also have two on Trex 450L's and one on a Trex 550...........I use them all because they came in the box......time for a change now. All are unpredictable at some point in flight so I'm happy to try something different based on the satisfaction of others. Vtown...thanks..I'll let you know......
Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecker79 View Post
I gotta say vtown nick is 100% correct...

I am sooooo glad I didn't sell my 250 and so glad for vtown nick posting his videos of the 250 with the Ikon and pushing how well it fly's.. It's a night and day difference with how it fly’s and changes direction almost as fast as my Trex 150.
Right on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchb View Post
I took Vtown's advise and ordered an Ikon for my 250.............based on my experience with the 3gx..............I have 2 AR7200's, one on a Goblin 500 and the other on a Trex 450.....both are 100% predictable to ALL stick inputs.

Vtown...thanks..I'll let you know......
You won't be disappointed with the purchase. Other than you may want all your other helis to have ikons after flying the 250 with it!!

Setup is really nice and straight forward. You need to get into the advanced menu and crank the tail piro rate tho because the stock 250 settings is too slow for any 3d. I had to drop elevator gain a few points to make fff smooth and set cyclic rate to my liking and that's it.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I put the iKON on and flew once with basic setting and I had the same wag.....so I added a DS95i and changed some of the advanced settings for the tail............the thing flew as good as my goblin 500!!!! I will definitely be buying a few more iKONs. Thanks vtown!..............best advice I've had on this site.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will fly even better with less weight. See https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=637065
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchb View Post
I put the iKON on and flew once with basic setting and I had the same wag.....so I added a DS95i and changed some of the advanced settings for the tail............the thing flew as good as my goblin 500!!!! I will definitely be buying a few more iKONs. Thanks vtown!..............best advice I've had on this site.
That is awesome to hear! I really like the way they make all my helis fly, very easy and straight forward setup and tuning which I like too.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also say thanks for your setup videos. I finished a 3GX-MRS/DX8 setup yesterday. Flew my 250 Plus DFC the first two batteries in the field today, and the heli was quite stable in a hover, and easy to move around, even with a few wind gusts. I noticed a little tail wag with gyro set to between 37 and 44, so I think I will order a better tail servo. It was good to get a feeling of the 3GX, before I start setting up the iKON, which has finally arrived here.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trex 250 tail wag

After wareing out 4 autorotation hubs in 3 months and not being able to lock in my tail i locked my auto rotation hub with a set screw. The tail is now solid as can be with gyro set at 70%. I think slippage in the hub caused all this unpredictable wag. This explains why it works for a little while when autorotation hub is new. Waited 3 months to see this heli fly perfect.
bob donfro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in