Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Lightweight 250 pro dfc

A tad under 320 grams, with canopy and battery.
The biggest loss was the servos.
I used ds76's and a ds76t for a loss of 26 grams.
I switched the micro beast and sat for the 7200 for a loss of 8 grams.

Makes a BIG difference, there is no more heavy disk, it feels quite light now, and flies like my other helis, I think I can finally enjoy this bird now. Only negative is the questionable reliability of the eflite servos, but I can't find any even close to that weight in the 450 class that might be any better. I'll take the calculated risk.

I have a few more things that I will do that will drop another 15 grams once all done.
1. switch ar7200 for zyx-s/sat ( weighs just 13.9 grams with sat and adapter cable)
2. switch blue align for talon 15 once released (loss of 6 to 8 grams)
3. carbon boom/ pf canopy ( loss of 2 to 3 grams)
4. trim servo wires (2 to 3 grams)

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc76 View Post
Only negative is the questionable reliability of the eflite servos, but I can't find any even close to that weight in the 450 class that might be any better. I'll take the calculated risk.
I plan on using Hyperion DS09SMDs for the cyclic and a DS09GMD for the tail . They are light, have metal gears, and seem reliable, but the SMDs are slower than ds76s. They are currently 50% off, so they may be worth trying.
grumpy42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
I plan on using Hyperion DS09SMDs for the cyclic and a DS09GMD for the tail . They are light, have metal gears, and seem reliable, but the SMDs are slower than ds76s. They are currently 50% off, so they may be worth trying.
awesome, let us know how they run.
This may end up being my favorite micro... I've had 4 flights this evening and the difference is crazy. I was ready to give this bird up, glad I didn't because I love the disk size. It doesn't have the rocket power of the x2 but it's still plenty.

My friend shot a quick vid before dark, I'll upload asap. I think it really shows the difference in the disk loading.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Video

Here's the video.

TREX 250 Pro DFC lightweight (3 min 8 sec)
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome flying heli. I've got mine down to 340 grams from it's original 376, and I can tell a huge difference.

I have the DS76t on the tail (works WAY better than stock too), x-canopy (weighs less than stock), talon 25 (got rid of BEC/extra wiring)

I may look into those DS76 cyclic servos.

How much collective pitch are you running?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very Nice - it's really got some pop!

I just picked up a used 450X and flew her for the first time today.

To get rid of that heavy disk feeling I am considering following your lead and swapping out my microbeast / sat and servos from my 450x for her servos and AR7200.

Again Nice Job
jypt01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
Awesome flying heli. I've got mine down to 340 grams from it's original 376, and I can tell a huge difference.

I have the DS76t on the tail (works WAY better than stock too), x-canopy (weighs less than stock), talon 25 (got rid of BEC/extra wiring)

I may look into those DS76 cyclic servos.

How much collective pitch are you running?
Thanks, damn what a difference, I'm finally happy with this bird after almost putting it on the classifieds.
I run +-11.5, bogs less and tail holds better at lower collective and 100% throttle I've found.

I've got the Talon 25 for my x2, after finally programming it on Friday I never got around to installing it this weekend because I was working on the 250.
I CAN'T WAIT for the Talon 15 to be released, it will be around 10 grams with connectors, and at least this time the software will be ready to go.

What is this X canopy you speak of?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jypt01 View Post
Very Nice - it's really got some pop!

I just picked up a used 450X and flew her for the first time today.

To get rid of that heavy disk feeling I am considering following your lead and swapping out my microbeast / sat and servos from my 450x for her servos and AR7200.

Again Nice Job
thanks, I'm happy I've found that the heavy disk loading was not just a trait of the 250, but of the heavy electronics it comes with.

I don't think the 450x will notice an extra 35 grams, definitely not as much as the 250, 450 is definitely not lacking in power and disk is naturally light.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What is this X canopy you speak of?
Found it a couple of weeks ago just surfing around, and decided to give one a try. Pretty nice canopies. I got the alien paint scheme...very visible.

http://xcanopy.com/
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
Found it a couple of weeks ago just surfing around, and decided to give one a try. Pretty nice canopies. I got the alien paint scheme...very visible.

http://xcanopy.com/

Thanks for nice canopy website, i just check around, their designings look awesome, but the pics photoshop to bad.

Please post some of your x canopy here.
fly and fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly and fly View Post
Please post some of your x canopy here.
Look here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...12&postcount=5
Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

bmc76 I thought you were just being nit-picky but after seeing that video...holy sh#t!

Does any one know the weight difference between the plastic "250 Plus" canopy and the DFC fiberglass one?

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/250-Pl...12_p_2480.html

Last edited by chardur; 10-28-2013 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: added link
chardur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardur View Post
bmc76 I thought you were just being nit-picky but after seeing that video...holy sh#t!

Does any one know the weight difference between the plastic "250 Plus" canopy and the DFC fiberglass one?

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/250-Pl...12_p_2480.html
Yup Totally different machine.

Before, let's say you just went into a normal climb, then moved to midstick to descend, when you reach your desired altitiude and move up on the stick, there was that big deadzone where nothing would happen, it just kept falling, then all of the sudden catches and catipults, I did so many hard skid bounces... and what really made me not enjoy it was I had to really change the way I flew this bird compared to my other helis, needed more altitude and real estate just to compensate for this behavior, because it happened in circuits as well.

I also notice the cyclic twitches are gone on hard pitch changes and I think this can be seen in the video, also it has a bit more hang time on knife edge and I think this is visble as well. It feels like my x2 now, just not as much power, but still plenty
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My bird will be dieting

Quote:
I used ds76's and a ds76t for a loss of 26 grams.

4. trim servo wires (2 to 3 grams)
Really do love how the bird flys in the video.

I just flew my 250se converted to DFC with a microbeast the first time succesfully this past weekend (I bought it all from this site) as I said earlier mine will be going on a diet to shed some weight. 5 packs through it has the JR DS290G on the tail, with 100% Curve I have the tail holding pretty good at 60.5% gain with no wag. Just flying fast circuits and some hovering flips and rolls, I have not flew her inverted yet.

My question / comment bmc76 is that with all the trouble I have read about the tail and how a person really needs a MKS95i to control it I am amzaed you are using a ds76t on the tail with such great performance. Can you share what your tail setup is to get such great performance (ball distance from center, fins, anything special with grips, stock parts ect...)?

I can certanly see were some weight can be dropped by trimming the servo wires, plus it would sure clean things up a bunch. What is the acceptable method to shorten up the servo wires.
1. Is terminals available and the wires shortened with new terminals crimped on?
2. Would you open up the sevo, unsolder the connections, shorten them and then resolder them back on?
3. Or would cutting them in the middle to the desired length and soldering them back with some heatshink added be an acceptable practice?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also using the ds76t on the tail/ Works great. I'm up to about 46% on the gyro with no wag except in hard wind (when I shouldn't be flying a 250 anyway). Otherwise it holds super solid. I can't imagine that the DS95i could be much better. The DS425 was very loose and waggy.

Mine's all stock grips/fins/etc, and ~4.5mm distance on the horn.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used 4.5mm from center (stock is 5.5) tx gain is 48% in dx8
What remains to be seen is how well it will hold in fast backwards clockwise hurricanes, I expect it to hold just fine.
As far as setup I just use the golden rules, 90 the horn as close as possible, set slider perpindicular and fine tune length of control rod using rate mode, then set endpoints making sure to get full right rudder travel.
Look down the tail from the rear, visually line up the horn ball to the ball on the lever and work the rudder in both directions to make sure the push rod doesn't bind or have any hard bends in it.

Personally I will trim and resolder to the pcb's, but I'm, quite experienced and proficient with a soldering iron. You can buy new connecters and the crimping tool, but it's a little pricey.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

BMC, wich voltage are you running on those eflite servos?
Phil79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just picked up three of these for cyclic servos to see how they are. All in for flying weight my 250 is already at 360 with the Ds95i. Just changing them out from the stock Align I should save about 18.9 so I should feel a difference.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running them all at 5v. The tail servo is only rated at 5v, cyclics up to 6v. When I get the talon 15 I will either run a stepdown diode to the tail or use a different servo sub 9 grams. I'm researching servos now, not sure which direction I'll go yet as I don't like experimenting with servos at 20 to 40 bucks a pop.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecker79 View Post
I just picked up three of these for cyclic servos to see how they are. All in for flying weight my 250 is already at 360 with the Ds95i. Just changing them out from the stock Align I should save about 18.9 so I should feel a difference.

Actually it will save you 19.8 grams, with horn screwed in it's 7.7 grams vs 14.3 grams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in