Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Any RC Helicopter fliers in Slidell, Louisiana area

I was hoping to find some RC helicopter fliers that live in the southeastern Louisiana area. I'm in Slidell, Louisiana. That's were interstate 12, 59 and 10 all intersect. Looking to get some guidance from some helicopter pros. I've only been at this sense November 2009. So as you can see I'm new to this.

Jack
MSR
pjdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli/Louisiana

Hello,Jack welcome to Helifreak.I doint live in Slidell but i travel that way quite often on the Bass fishing tour.I have a T-Rex500 along with a Raptor50 gas heli.I instruct people how to fly airplanes in West Monroe,La club.If you have a question doint hess to send me a pm and i will try to help you.Stan Williams.
Stan Williams is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i know over the last couple of years, i have seen a few around new orleans and your area.
one of them will see this im sure.

is there not a hobby shop in new orleans or mandeville? seems driving to gulfport for one or two parts is a waste of gas.
i know the orange grove shop, though i have never been there, i did live in gulfport for 8 years.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the replys.

Fast400:

Joe and Nancy own the Orange Grove hobby shop. They give a 15 % discount on parts. I've bought my B400, CP Pro 2, MSR and a MCX for the grandson from Joe & Nancy. Joe and Nancy are real good people. Joe will do what ever he has to for you. He's even got Horizon to provide me with some parts for the CP Pro 2 when they failed asap.

There was a Hobby shop in Slidell but it went under when the ecomeny tanked. I don'y go to New Orleans allot. To busy and loud. I heard that HUB hobbies moved to mandeville but as of yet I've not found it. That would be allot closer.

Stan W.

Not real sure where West Monroe,La is. I did fly fixed wing for thirty years. Mostly WWII Topflight war birds. Few model 2. Changed for helicopters. At first it gave me fits but I finally got over it. But in a panic I've been known to screw up.

Thanks for the offer for help.

Jack
MSR
Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly at NOMAC which is just south of New Orleans on the "west bank" as its called although looking on a map it looks like the south bank of the Mississippi river. Any way the field is off Highway 90 and if you come down I55 to I10 then I310, then 90 you never need to go into the big easy.

Our club web page has all of the known area clubs listed. Don't see anything in the Slidell area. We do have a member or two that lives on the north shore.

We have a dedicated Helicopter field with covered pits and 120vac.

http://www.nomacrc.com/louisiana_area_clubs
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is not on topic and im sorry, but i just wanted to say that i love that part of the country. I was stationed at ft polk many years ago , met a woman from lacombe and moved there when i got out. Man i love the women and food there!!!
miket43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

pjdog,
i kind of wish i was still in mississippi, i had three manacured acres behind my house, we could have made a nice club out of it.

the only other two towns i can think of that may have hobby shops close to you, would be either covington or hamond. but i think gulfport would actually be closer.

what town is on the other end of the causeway? i know mandeville is on the north side, but whats on the south side?

i know none of this has really anything to do with the original question, but in away it does. if you can find a close hobby shop, you may find some heli pilots.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Again - Thanks to all of your for the replys.

fast400:

It's mandeville is on the north shore of the causeway and Mertairie is on the south shore. I believe there is still a hobby shop in Metairie. The one in mandeville closed many years ago. I knew Sam Hoppkins that owned the hobby shop in Mandeville.

Mentalic:

Thanks for all the clubs listed. I will assume that on weekends there are people at your flying site. Maybe soon I can come down and visit with all of you. I can fly but it's mostly just hovering around. I fly in the back yard so my space is limited. Like a gold fish you only grown to the size of your invironment.

miket43:

Your so right about the southern woman in the South. And the food is second to none. I only weighed 160 LBS when I move here from Indianapolis, Indiana. Now I'm over 200. You know we eat bait here. Damn are they good.

Jack
MSR
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you tried the "HF Locator", the link is at the top of the page.
Steel Butcher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Steel Butcher:

I did look at the HF Locator. I was under the impression that you had to fill that out. I did not see myself in there. So I filled it in, then I was there. If you where a member of HF but you may not have filled in the locator you would not show up. That's why I posted this. I may not be right here?

Jack
MSR
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog View Post

Mentalic:

Thanks for all the clubs listed. I will assume that on weekends there are people at your flying site. Maybe soon I can come down and visit with all of you. I can fly but it's mostly just hovering around. I fly in the back yard so my space is limited. Like a gold fish you only grown to the size of your invironment.

Jack
Saturday mornings are not crowded, usually only 3-5 pilots. Typical Sunday mornings can be packed and looks like a fun fly unless the weather is really lousy. Actually we do have a fun fly coming up in September. I do fly allot, even in lousy weather.

I'm thinking this Sunday will not be very active due the tropical storm coming. Guess I wont fly Sunday.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mentalic:

Thanks again for the Saturday info. I'm retired so I can go anytime. Maybe I could send you an email letting you know when I would be there and we could meet up. I could show you my new AXI 450 SE. I don't know what I'm doing with the build but a friend in Portugal has been helping me set it up by email. He's real knowledgeable about helicopters. And has been allot of help. He's a blade pilot and I think he's very good. Anyway he has always bailed me out of trouble when needed. I fly a B400 mostly. I've really struggled with the AXI 450 SE set up but I think it's ready.

Anyway If someone at your flying site that is a 450 flyer could look my helicopter over before I break it that would really help allot.

Jack
MSR
Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

who makes the axi 450?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pjdog, we have a number of 450 flyers. Never had one myself though. Learned the basics on a Concept 30 back in the early 90's. This weekends weather is a big question mark though...
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hello Fast400:

I don't know who makes the AXI Helicopters. I got mine from xheli. It was a kit for about $ 50.00 or $ 60.00 bucks. It's a Trex clone. Not a good as a Trex but lots cheaper. I have a Blade B400 and love it. I wanted another helicopter similar but not the same. So that's why I got a Trex clone. It's coming along. I might get it in the air very soon. Like next week. This is the first helicopter I've assembled so I'm learning and the going is slow. Looking forward to another kit. Maybe a AXI 500.

Hello Mentalic:

Looking forward to the visit. I'm sure glad that Bonnie has fizzled out. I'm from the North and I'm not a fan of Hurricane's. Ever sense Katrina when they head this way I'm gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04227.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	169920  
MSR
Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hey man , im in slidell and me and a friend from metarie are about to take the heli plunge, within the next few months i will be picking up a trex450 pro, usually we swap up i'll take rides out there to fly and he comes to slidell to fly, im no member of any club because for one, i dont know of any that are close and two, off of hwy 11 heading towards eden isles in the oak harbor entrance is a nice FREE public open area that is surrounded by a levee and it even has a small dirt landing strip..... if your interested in catching up with us out there one day just give me a hollar.... names C.J.
clydejames86 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey PJDog , I am here in slidell as well born and raised, 25. looking to take the Heli plunge after 14 years of flying planes scale and 3d. i met a fellow flyer on another forum and i have been flying with him only he is from metarie so we usually take turns meeting at a place to fly wether it be in slidell , metarie or sometime halfway to city park. in slidell i normally fly in a field at the Oak Harbor entrance off of hwy 11, the field is surrounded by a levee with a small dirt strip for my planes and a great place for my future trex 450 pro. if you ever want to set up a time and day to come out there and meet us and fly with us or just come check out the spot just give me a hollar on here and we can make it happen. as far as flying clubs go i heard there was one privately owned field off of fremauex but i also hear that its small and not really open as far as trees go . i really miss the old peligrin flying club slidell had before katrina wiped it out and it never came back.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

im new to helifreak and didnt realise the censorship and moderation of posting, thats ridiculous, sorry about the double post . i thought i forgot to hit Submit Reply

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in