Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #101 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

We shall see

People been asking for a single needle tuning vid like for an OS 50. If I get a chance I will see if I can get something shot.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This would be great, perhaps even generalize it more to include 55 class engine tuning.

All the tuning videos out there seem to be for .90 size engines, and they don't sound the same as a .50 or .55.

Thanks Bob!
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

i vot efor single needle engine tuning too for people like me who lives in the dessert hahaha
evoIX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

I couldn't find PC Farenheit here in Australia, but at the auto parts store they sell Quik Steel, which seems to be the same stuff. A grey putty that activates as an epoxy that bonds metals when kneaded and works to 500F (260C), which are the same specs I found for PCF online.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER View Post
I couldn't find PC Farenheit here in Australia, but at the auto parts store they sell Quik Steel, which seems to be the same stuff. A grey putty that activates as an epoxy that bonds metals when kneaded and works to 500F (260C), which are the same specs I found for PCF online.
Thats sounds perfect to me!

Bob
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

What would it mean if when you go from a full power climbout to zero pitch if the smoke thins out for a second then comes right back? I am pretty sure the mid range is quite rich as I get thick smoke in a hover, and is still set at break in 1.75 turns out, but I definitely don't get a puff of smoke. Climbouts sound good and consistant for a couple hundred feet so I am thinking the high needle is right. But when I drop collective to neutral the smoke thins out and instantly comes back.

This happens with both gov on and off. T700, Vbar using built in gov, ys 91 3ds with outrage ys pipe.

I tried richening up the mid needle even more but spoolup started to really load up and took much longer.
RoyArms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #107 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

You should expect the smoke to drop in a condition like this. Your curve or gov is going to be closing the throttle rapidly when you unload. The motor is also not under load so yes a short cut in smoke when unloading is to be expected. As long as it comes right back when you load up again you should be fine.

Bob
Old 06-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having trouble getting my mid needle tuned. I believe I have the high pretty good. The smoke is nice and opaque and the engine sounds "happy" but whenever I return to a hover it spits out dense white smoke, I can even see droplets of fuel/oil spitting out of the pipe. I've tried to find lean on the mid needle but it seems like I should have either hit it by now (almost ten clicks CW) or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm running an O.S .91 HZ-R in a 700. Anyone have experience tuning one of these or have the same problem with the extremely rich mid?
Lost Oracle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Oracle View Post
I'm having trouble getting my mid needle tuned. I believe I have the high pretty good. The smoke is nice and opaque and the engine sounds "happy" but whenever I return to a hover it spits out dense white smoke, I can even see droplets of fuel/oil spitting out of the pipe. I've tried to find lean on the mid needle but it seems like I should have either hit it by now (almost ten clicks CW) or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm running an O.S .91 HZ-R in a 700. Anyone have experience tuning one of these or have the same problem with the extremely rich mid?
I've found that in our climate (Minnesota) the HZ-R is happy with 1/2 turn +1 or 2 clicks on the mid.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

--

Last edited by RAYflex; 06-28-2011 at 08:42 AM..
RAYflex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am new to nitro engine. How do you actually SEAL the pipe? Around from the outsite or put thin layer of putty at the contact surface. Thanks.
kz4q66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure both contact surfaces are clean. Use alcohol. Apply a very thin layer of epoxy on both contact surfaces and clamp it together. Make sure that the muffler bolts are torqed very good. After your first flight, while the engine is still warm, retorq the muffler bolts again. You must check the bolts from time to time, because if they become loose, you will get a leak between the muffler and the engine. Your engine will run leaner and mess up the fuel- air mixture. Or worse, the muffler can fall off, then you lose muffler pressure to the fuel tank with the result that the carburator are not getting any fuel- you will then have a flameout and will need to auto the heli down.

Theoretiically you do not need a sealer or a gasket, because both contact surfaces will "move together"(expand) when it gets hotter or cooler. The only reason I use epoxy is for if there are maybe a very small uneven place (you might not see with your eye) on one of the surfaces that could cause a leak. Good luck!
cmouton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for your response. I understand what I need to do now.
kz4q66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Thunder Tiger Pro 50H motor, wondering what a good starting point is for both needle settings. Never mind, think I found it after reading the manual a few times. Looks like 3 turns out on both needles (low is carb closed and turn in till it stops, then 3 turns out. H is turn in till it stops and 3 turns out.
I have a Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 and I did not find this tilll after the day of flying, but did started what I thought would be close to stock settings. Had the L at 1.5 turns and H at 2 turns. Started up and went into a hover and held it there for a bit, noticed the smoke started to thin out. Set it down and shut it off and check the temp by placing a finger on the back of the motor, no suprise that it was fairly warm. Richened the L and H about 1/2 a turn each, then back to a hover again. Same thing, so richened both again. Started to get better, so richened a bit more. After about 5 hovers, smoke seemed good and it did not loose hover, back plate luke warm (able to hold the finger on it for over 10 seconds). Now tried some full throttle climbs to a comfortable hieght, which is about 70 ft. Since it was cloudy it was hard to tell how much smoke I had, but sound wise seemed like it needed a more rpm. Richened the H needle only 1/4 turn and tried again, a little better. Richened again and seems like it climbs better and sound seems smoother (does not seem like it is bogging down at all).
Looking forward to trying this again when there is blue sky and maybe on a buddy box so that I can climb higher.
Great videos by the way, they really help.

Last edited by Oilsands; 10-19-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Oilsands is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well went back through this thread and now I think I am close with the tuning I did, but think I will turn the needles to the stock setting (3 turns out on each, TT Pro 50H) and go though the tuning again. I need more practice anyways, LOL.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just watched the videos again and noticed that there was no mention of the L or idle needle (mixture screw). Any chance of doing another quick tuning video to mention that tuning or tuning of a 50 motor, where it has a H needle and L needle? Could eventually figure it out but will make it so much easier to see and hear what one is looking for.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regarding the video of the 120 SR....I think you summed it up well Bob at about the 5:32 mark .........."Holy Crap".
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you had a header tank would you have to worry about the engine sucking air and goin lean?
razer t-rex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #119 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

A header tank does help for that. However not 100%. As you suck air from the main tank the header tank start to get air in to too. But it still helps a lot!

Bob
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank you Finless for this video! I have been messing with nitro for quite some time, but until now, have been tuning incorrectly. I was close but my methods were costing me power and run time. I always tuned to temp and, with cars, feel. Just did a retune on my YS56r in my synergy and the power now is better than I have ever had, and I am getting additional flight time. All this and, just for my curiosity, still temping inside my comfort level (old habits hard to break!).

Thanks again!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in