Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis

Thunder Tiger Electric Helis Mini Titan E325, Raptor E550 and E620 SE Helicopters

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hello - I just purchased a V1 kit !

Hello, I'm on the verge of picking up a new Mini Titan kit (TTR4710-K10) but am hearing rumors that they're being discontinued ... ?

It's the heli-only kit, plastic head and tail.

I currently fly a Blade 400 but want a nice kit to put together and to be able to re-use blades, batteries, motors, etc.

I can get the following new for $250 (I already have servos, motor, gyro, batteries, etc. )
  • Mini-Titan Kit (TTR4710-K10)
  • Hobbywing Platinum 40A Pro ESC/BEC
  • Torque Tube Conversion Kit
  • Spektrum AR6100e
Thanks for any suggestions!

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 10-16-2010 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: The purchase has been made :)
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Mini Titan v1 is not being discontinued. Although there is a v2 out, it is a different model, and doesn't appeal to everyone.

By all means, buy the v1 - it's a good heli, and has only been out 3 years, which is nothing. You'll still get v1 parts for years....
B335 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks - that's encouraging. I would rather invest in a Mini-Titan as opposed to upgrading my Blade 400 ...

-John
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned to fly helis with a V1 Mini Titan. I still fly that same Mini Titan almost three years later even though I now also have two Trex 600n's and a Trex 500.

I say go for it. The original E325 Mini Titan is still a good heli for the money. Cheap to crash as an added bonus.

Bob
Bayward is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hell Yeah go with the V1 kit!!!!

Don't waste your time with the torque tube for now. (its not needed)

Upgrade your mixing arms to metal

Get some cheap carbon blades!!!

Have FUN

Let us know as you go if you need any help
rmalt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you both - I'm going to order one tomorrow It will be my over-the-winter project to build her up and go through that whole process. I'm kinda on a budget (heard that before I'm sure) so I'll have some non-top shelf separates in her at first, but a guy at the field has one and it just flies fantastic. His is all metal, but I've heard great things about the plastic version too. I'll be using my dx6i so I'll probably get another 6110E receiver ...

Or I could just dismember the B400 all together and I won't have to buy anything other than the MT kit to get started ... decisions!

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to this ....

-John
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Say, don't I know you from somewhere? You already know what I think, so I won't bore you with my opinion again. Can't wait to see what kind of mods you're going to come up with.

Cheers,
-jim
nwjhawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Jim!

Yea, I was going to do this a while ago, then got nailed with a bunch of personal expenses, then heard about the Ace Hobby thing, then nobody was carrying the -10 kits, prices were dropping, etc. so I thought something similar to the Quark was going on ... Even if it were discontinued it seems like TT would do the right thing as far as parts are concerned. At least that's what the opinions have been - which is good !

How's your MT? How's your Quark? I tell ya, after flying that B400 with good a gyro and seeing other CPs (MTs & 450 Pros & Nitros) at the field the Quark is seeming less impressive to me these days - maybe it's the natural growth process I can't wait to be able to compare the MT325 to the B400.

I really like the fact that everyone I ask about the MT325 has nothing but good things to say about it ...

Take care,
-John
Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would say that in order to get the best out of the v1 Mini Titan you should invest in a couple of upgrades. Although the plastic head is enough to get you in the air, it does have some failings, most notably the plastic hub and the upper mixer arms. The hole in the plastic hub has a tendency of going oval over time, which means you get play in the head.
The upper mixer arms tend to distort during flight, giving tracking problems.

While I, and many others, have changed the entire head to the SE metal version, you can get away with just changing the plastic hub to the metal one, part number PV0801 $40.08 and changing the plastic upper mixer arms to metal ones, part number PV0805 $22.90.
The rest of the head will work perfectly fine with just these items in metal, and the rest plastic.

It's the only heli I've seen which has so many upgrades for it, from high-position tail rotor, to metal upgrades (head, servo mounts, bearing holders etc) and even some fuselages just for the MT.
In addition, it's got a clever one-piece tail boom assembly, so you can remove the tail boom without having to touch the belt setup or servos.

The v2 is more of a stablemate, and many places aren't stocking parts for it yet, even though it's been out a while. I'm sure I read somewhere that TT ensure there are 5 years worth of parts once a model is discontinued, but the v1 Mini Titan has a long way to go before they discontinue it - I'd say it's one TT's best sellers.

Last edited by B335; 10-16-2010 at 08:01 AM..
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did it! Ordered the -10 kit from amainhobbies today. Decided to forgo the torque tube for now - thanks for all of the advice. Those metal head parts will be on my list as well.

-John
Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
I did it! Ordered the -10 kit from amainhobbies today. Decided to forgo the torque tube for now - thanks for all of the advice. Those metal head parts will be on my list as well.

-John
Nice, you scored a sweet deal from Amain. I saw it on there last night and almost picked up a 2nd kit.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought I heard the -10 kit was going away... ? Anyway, Amain said when their stock is gone they won't be carrying the -10 anymore.

-John
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ah, that could be just Amain preferring to stock either another model or another brand.
Sometimes when a shop sees that another model is selling like hot cakes (the protos springs to mind) then they drop one of their range so they can change to a different kit.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The -k10 kit arrived today! Just need an ESC/BEC and receiver and we'll be ready to get started ...

-John

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question falls along the same lines, I think:

I just bought a v1 MT today, and I'm completely stoked about it!

What are the differences between the V1 and MTSE? I hear good things about the SE. I'm usually pretty good/lucky with internet and forum searches but I really haven't found much. Is it just a different canopy and metal head/tail?

Thanks for the info!
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The SE is basically the same as MT v1 except that it has a metal head and metal tail (plastic tail case) and a few other upgrades. I have both and they fly pretty much the same. However, I do have a few upgrades on my MT v1.

- Metal Rotor Hub
- Metal upper mixing arms
- Metal lower mixing arms and washout base

Some people have more than hundreds of flights without any problem with full plastic head. Regardless, the mini titan is a great 450 heli.

Now both MT are FBL with micorbeast. I love flying them both.
whto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, the plastic head - the problems (if present) are related to blade tracking and high head
speeds, correct? How high of head speeds though ... ?

Hey Bob - congrats on your new heli!

-John
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The plastic head is good for the 3000 rpm headspeed range. As far as tracking the only thing you need to replace is the upper control arms. Others than that metal would be just for show or if your running a -6 motor with high pinion for insane headspeed.
rmalt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

I would just add to what rmalt just said.
I replaced "just" the upper mixer arms on mine, and the tracking issue persisted. It was only when I replaced the lower arms when the tracking problems went away, but by then I thought it looked a bit silly in plastic and metal so went all the way and replaced it all with metal.

I would say the tracking problem isn't related to head speed, as it can/will happen at any chosen headspeed. As far as I'm aware, it's due primarily to parts on the head distorting when in motion. This is why the metal upgrades/SE don't get the problem so much.
I too was running a headspeed of 3,100rpm with the plastic head so I know it can cope. Just inspect head parts regularly and thoroughly. A small crack can spelll disaster at that speed.

Discount Bob, I don't know if "stoked" means you're happy or unhappy, but if you'e unhappy about not getting an SE, for what it's worth the SE seems to be tail-heavy due to the metal tail parts. A good compromise is having the base model and upgrading part (or all) of the head to metal, but keeping the tail end stock plastic. That way you end up with a nicely-balanced and sorted Pro model.
In my opinion the SE was overdone with the tail metalwork.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Haha, I intended "stoked" to mean that I'm really excited! You guys with the MTs all seem to be pretty happy with them as compared to my current Blade SR and B400 (go figure).

The bird I'm getting has the metal rotor head and blade grips already, and I'm thinking I'll get the upper mixing arms as well (since they're fairly inexpensive). I'm not counting on getting any metal parts for the tail just yet, as I'm certainly a novice to the hobby. Thanks for the advice, though, that makes it easier for me to avoid spending more money in the name of the almighty "upgrade."

Another question: I love the look of the SE canopy in yellow, but I haven't been able to find any for sale anywhere. Any tips on where to look?

Thanks again, guys.
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in