Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 550e v2 3gx and CC Ice 100, Can't figure it out

My Trex 550 is a great helicopter and I have around 100 flights under my belt. Up until now everything was stock Align parts, with the exception of my spectrum AR6210 receiver (with one satelite) my DX6i and Gens Ace flight batteries. My only problem is she feels a little under-powered while using 550mm blades. I got a CC ice 100 and I'm having trouble keeping the 3gx and servos powered up with the internal BEC, I tried the BEC at 5.1 and 6v and that doesn't help. I plug the Battery in, the 3gx, my receiver and servos all power up and stay powered up until I give the servos stick input, the servos will move for a couple seconds and then I lose all power and right away the 3gx restarts and the cycle continues... I have even tried a separate BEC, the Castle 10amp BEC with a 2 cell lipo, I'm getting the same results. Im confused, the 3amp 5-6v step-less bec (that comes in the Align 70amp speed control) works just fine. I really want to make this work. I need serious help!
HelicopterFlyerGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same issue with mine, but I use a CC75 instead. The align ESC could handle it but the CC can't.
I ended up with a CC BEC pro and have dozens of flights without any power issues. The 10amp CC BEC isn't actually rated for 10A on 6s, probably why it isn't working either.
Natewin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup... the CC Ice 100 BEC will not power your setup. You will need a seperate BEC. I went with the CC BEC Pro.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I'm going to try the CC BEC Pro. Do you power it with your flight pack or with a separate battery? Do you notice a difference in flight performance when you switched to the Castle ESC? I'm hoping for a noticeable change in power! I'm thinking about using a separate Lipo for the BEC. I have an e-flight 2S 7.4V 1300mAh 20C lipo, it's 26 amp max continuous discharge... I hate e-flight batteries but i already have it.
HelicopterFlyerGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What Voltage did you set your CC BEC Pro to?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use a 6.6v 2s LIFE pack direct to the Rx.
It eliminates an external BEC as another possible electronic failure point.
Never had any problems with this setup. Just have to remember to charge the Rx pack before U go to the field !!!
Just my $.02.
Drev.
Drev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelicopterFlyerGuy View Post
Thanks for replying. I'm going to try the CC BEC Pro. Do you power it with your flight pack or with a separate battery? Do you notice a difference in flight performance when you switched to the Castle ESC? I'm hoping for a noticeable change in power! I'm thinking about using a separate Lipo for the BEC. I have an e-flight 2S 7.4V 1300mAh 20C lipo, it's 26 amp max continuous discharge... I hate e-flight batteries but i already have it.
I never used the stock ESC so I don't know if there was a difference. I simply have the ESC and BEC paralleled into the flight battery. I think I set my BEC for 6V if I remember correctly. As for power, you can make adjustments to the motor timing for more power at the expense of run-time and hotter running temps. I'm running 550's on mine and don't notice any lack of power, although I'm not doing any smack type 3D maneuvers. The blades seem to bark fine for me. Could be your batteries are the limiting factor also... I'm running Gens Ace 6S 5300mAh 30C batteries.
EDIT: Remember to remove the middle (power) wire from the ESC connector that runs to the RX if you use a seperate BEC.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390112

CC BEC Pro on main pack set at 6V.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelicopterFlyerGuy View Post
I have one of my 550's setup like this, I am using a 2S lipo 2100maH directly to the FBL unit unregulated at 7.4v been this way for over a year now. No BEC used.
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using a CC BEC Pro @ 8.0v with HS-7940TH HV's on cyclic and a Novak non-adjustable 6.0v regulator for the DS650 tail. With this I am getting consistent voltage to everything.

I believe the CC BEC Pro is lighter than a separate pack and I don't have to worry about another battery to charge or it taking a crap during a flight because I forgot to charge it or thought I had charged it, but didn't.

I guess I could add a cell monitoring system to it but then, here we go with more stuff.

With the BEC Pro I could have voltage that's too low to fly, like 19.8v, but my electronics will still be getting consistent 8v and will operate!

Just my 2¢ worth!

SN
SharonNoelle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNoelle View Post
I am using a CC BEC Pro @ 8.0v with HS-7940TH HV's on cyclic and a Novak non-adjustable 6.0v regulator for the DS650 tail. With this I am getting consistent voltage to everything.

I believe the CC BEC Pro is lighter than a separate pack and I don't have to worry about another battery to charge or it taking a crap during a flight because I forgot to charge it or thought I had charged it, but didn't.

I guess I could add a cell monitoring system to it but then, here we go with more stuff.

With the BEC Pro I could have voltage that's too low to fly, like 19.8v, but my electronics will still be getting consistent 8v and will operate!

Just my 2¢ worth!

SN
So you are using the flight pack to power you electronics? What happens if your flight pack fails?
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
So you are using the flight pack to power you electronics? What happens if your flight pack fails?
Uh.., your kiddin' me, right?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope, he wasn't kidding. I've seen it happen more than once where a flight pack or connector failed in flight. Running a separate RX pack makes that a non-event (just an autorotation). Running a BEC makes it a major event, and an out-of-control heli.

There are pros and cons to every setup, but I run separate power systems for the radio on all my helis larger than 425mm and all my planes larger than 3S 2200 lipo size.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

But wouldn't that also apply to the separate pack? Isn't it just as possible that the separate pack could go or a bad connection for the electronics could happen? And, you have to keep it charged and mind its status also. How do you know if it needs recharging? What if it starts to go weak during a flight? Will the heli stay in control if these scenarios came into play and would it be able to auto down with a total electronic power failure??

I think I'd hate to have my electronics go south while there is still full energy available to the ESC and motor. I know, I know... failsafe, no signal, no power, hopefully!

There are pros and cons for both I see and we all have to pick our poison!

SN
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
But wouldn't that also apply to the separate pack? Isn't it just as possible that the separate pack could go or a bad connection for the electronics could happen? And, you have to keep it charged and mind its status also. How do you know if it needs recharging? What if it starts to go weak during a flight? Will the heli stay in control if these scenarios came into play and would it be able to auto down with a total electronic power failure??

I think I'd hate to have my electronics go south while there is still full energy available to the ESC and motor. I know, I know... failsafe, no signal, no power, hopefully!

SN
True, and judging from this poll, the popular choice is a BEC off the main pack.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed, you wont get it powered using the bec of the cc 100. Had the exact same issue. Cc bec pro solved it. No separate flight pack, Just from the main batteries
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone tried the Scorpion Backup Guard with their BEC???
If so..... thoughts??????
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
How do you know if it needs recharging?
Splice in a spek flight log, it will display your flight pack voltage.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rum-Flight-Log
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

SN
So true!

I come from the "old school" of RC before we had electric power systems and BECs, so I have no issues maintaining a receiver battery. That's how we HAD to do it back then!

I use a mix of both BEC and separate RX power, depending on size and convenience. It's all good when done right, and all bad when done wrong.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
I use a mix of both BEC and separate RX power, depending on size and convenience. It's all good when done right, and all bad when done wrong.
Isn't that the truth!

SN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in