Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Alternative motors for Trex600 exclusively on 6S (prev. Z-Power for Trex 600 on 6S)

As above, has anybody tried successfully using a Z-power? I tried to look in the "proven setups" section, it's all Neu motors. as much as i would like a Neu, but of course, the cost is the challenge

Any info would be appreciated! thanks!

Last edited by shauntot; 08-11-2007 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: expanding motor selection
shauntot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Shauntot.

Try to look in this thread, I started it asking for advice on ESC, but then come a lot of information on motors, mainly ZPower motors.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=39527

Regards Carsten

Last edited by csell; 08-07-2007 at 09:39 AM..
csell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quick answer: Yes.

I am currently running a Z30-1100 in my 6s Trex with a 15 tooth pinion. It runs great for me. I have a CC 80 Phoenix ESC.

This motor was originally in my old Raptor E-620 and I ran 8s (twin 4s in series) in that machine. Since I decided to scrap that heli, I moved the motor over to the Trex and was thinking about using 8 cells with my CC HV85 ESC.

I may do this in the future, but I'm still having fun with six cells, so will wait. The 4s packs are powering my Lepton.

Enjoy,

Ron
Rocket Man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

csell - thanks for the link, very informative. although all the numbers got me a bit confused hehe

rocket man - where'd you get the 15t pinion? if i may ask, did you have a XL before that Z motor? how does it compare? was it also a direct dropin replacement, no mods needed?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think Logo .07 mod pinions should work. They went with the finer cut gears a couple of years ago. I haven't tried yet but I have a z-30 1100 with a castle p-80. I'm curious too. What headspeed do you run and what aprox. time do you get? What blades are you using? Thank you for experimenting. TimT
Tim Tompkins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot
rocket man - where'd you get the 15t pinion? if i may ask, did you have a XL before that Z motor? how does it compare? was it also a direct dropin replacement, no mods needed?
I run Rev-Co pinions, available from Ready Heli. Adrian makes nice concentric steel pinions and I use them on all my helis.

I replaced a 600L motor with the Z30. It is a simple drop in, except for the pinion change. I don't have an XL motor to compare, but the Z30 runs quieter, and cooler than the 600L.

I haven't had a chance to tach the headspeed, but I calculated it to be the same as with the 600L (2100 - 2200). I run 600mm V-Blades.

Ron
Old 07-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

wouldnt a Z30 (1700kv) be a nice combo with the 11t and 6s ?

i have heard you need to get some decent bearings for the motor. also the z power motors run good on the ESC with high timing.
Jason
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

hi chaps..wanted to revive this thread. i tried the link the csell gave above unfortunately it's now dead. was hoping to read up on the zpower motors as my XL just decided to snap it's shaft last Sunday after 14 flights only

need a motor asap as Align looks like they're not replacing my motor

was wondering if anyone specifically used this on 6s successfully?

http://rcehobby.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=806
Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Shauntot.

I just checked, you are rigth, but now this link to the same thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=39527

Regards Carsten
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am sorry to hear about your XL motor. Unfortunately, I have now heard several horror stories about these.

Your link is to the Z30-1100, which is still flying great in my 600. I tried it as an experiment, but it has run so cool and so well, I'm sticking with it. As mentioned, I use a 15 tooth pinion and 6s.

I also have a spare Century 600+ sitting on the shelf. It is identical to the Z30 and should also work as well. I am considering a second 600 with this motor.

Enjoy,

Ron
Old 08-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

thanks for the link again Carsten. I think it died when the forum changed "looks"

hi rocketman, glad to hear about your z30-1100, i'm also planning to get this to replace my dead XL. what pinion are u using 15t? i also read the century plus motor is the same as the z30 "A" (which is the blue), newer version. how's your trex flying with the z30? care to show some vids or graphs? really interested
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Shauntot

Here are the 3 links from my thread, to websites for Z30.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/i...887116b1ad7276

http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=10

http://www.rcdepot.com.tw/index.php/...40e2ff1f2480f7

Yesterday I cut holes in the side of my CF frame to make room for a Z50, have you considered to do the same?

It was easier than I expected.

Regards Carsten

Last edited by csell; 08-07-2007 at 11:17 AM..
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

hi carsten, sorry don't see any links

haven't thought about a z50 yet, was only planning on 6S and nothing higher...so i guess z30 will be ok?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot View Post
I also read the century plus motor is the same as the z30 "A" (which is the blue), newer version. how's your trex flying with the z30? care to show some vids or graphs? really interested
Shauntot,

Unfortunately, I fly alone most of the time, so don't have any vids. I don't do spastic 3D, so a vid would be boring with me just flying around doing loops, rolls, and piros. I will hook up the FDR again soon to see how my system is running and will send you the graph.

So far, I am quite pleased with the motor on 6s. I originally did the switch thinking I would go to 8s (12 tooth pinion), but haven't finished the swap. (I have a CC80 on this bird and would have to change it to a CC HV85 in order to run 8s.) The HV85 is sitting on the bench; I'm just too lazy to swap right now.

AFAIK, the Century 600+ is identical to the Z30A, except for the color (magenta vs. blue). If I get the second 600, I will try 8s since I have a few extra batteries sitting around.

Take care,

Ron
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

thanks rocket man, so i guess i can get any of them either the z30A (blue) or century plus (magenta), so as long as it's not the old z30 (magenta) right?

for my flying level, the XL is already ok, i just want a motor that I can trust without the shaft snapping!

btw, would you know if the z30 or century plus is alright with the stock 75a esc on 6s?

cheers
shaun
Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

this is what i'll probably end up getting..hope it's gonna be good on 6S...

http://flying-hobby.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=368
Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot View Post
btw, would you know if the z30 or century plus is alright with the stock 75a esc on 6s?
Shaun,

My last FDR file shows a high of 62.6 amps so it should work okay.

Unfortunately, I really splashed my 600 last night. The heli came in straight down from about 100 feet and splattered all over the field. There was carbon fiber raining down for a long time.

Anyway, the heli is pretty much toast. The battery landed about 30 feet away - it was crushed but didn't burn (thank God), the Z30 was crushed, and just about everything else was either bent or broken. The force even sheared off the little head button. I looked it over last night and the main bearings are okay, so are the tail rotor grips and blades. That's about it. It will be a while before I get this one back in the air - might be cheaper to get another kit. I've never destroyed one this bad.

Oh well, life goes on.

Ron
Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

youch! sad to hear Ron, do you already know what caused the crash? hope u get her back up in the air in no time.

sorry to sound insensitive, but i just wanted to ask if you knew what your headspeed was using the z30? i used readyheli's online headspeed calculator, using a 16T pinion and 6S will only give me around 2025 headspeed. 17T is the ticket, will give around 2200 headspeed.

of course these online headspeed calculators are for baseline reference only as a lot of other factors will affect the headspeed, but was just wondering what HS you had when the heli was still alive.

again, good luck with the rebuild, may the align force be with you
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

It looks like pilot error. :-) I just changed this heli from my DX7 to the PCM10X and the collective stick is much tighter on the 10X. I'm afraid I just didn't move it fast enough.

I was getting about 2000 on my 600. As you correctly state, there are so many variables here. The only calculator I've seen uses the straight reference voltage, which is too low. We generally prefer to use 3.9 volts per cell here at work, instead of 3.7 volts. Our calculations come out much closer to reality with this voltage and it follows the actual Li-po discharge curve better.

The best tool is a tachometer and that's generally what I use.

If I do this again, I will try a 16 tooth pinion, too.

Take care,

Ron
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Cool

Hay guys check this site out talking about z power in the trex 600. This guy Phil Lennert has built a trex 700. http://www.microheliworkz.com.au/rotortips/index.php
aussietrex450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in