Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always use 85mm and it holds good, but I'm thinking a little bit longer tail blades or speed up gear if needed on my next mod.
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Every time I do a very hard and fast tail down funnel, my tail blows out. Everything else, the tail is rock solid.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run 92mm, I need to be very very carefull on landing
Run 2400 hs, on the stock gearing, maybe I should also speed up the tail, and run the tail blades a bit smaller.
But yes the tail is not the strongest point on my x5

I also run the 'old' style tail slider which binds on the extremes. But Imho the price they charge for the upgraded tail is just silly.
If I remember correctly, Around 70 € last time I checked.
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 12:45 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running 550s and 96s on stock V2.
Wouldn't hold with 86s or 92s with an 8S power setup.
HS 2525 and 11.5 deg pitch.....really moves out.
Had to lower the pitch to get the tail to behave.
Goblin 700 Tri-oblin, Goblin 570 Freedom Edition #19
.... MSH Brain, Spektrum, MKS, Xpert, Scorpion, Kontronik, KDE, Helix, VTX
Chigoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why does every new heli have a vice like tail but the V2 X5 still has a tail from 7 years ago?

I've always run 12.8 degrees and about 2500-2700rpm with 12S and with 84.5 tails and the speed up gear and lots of revo it holds very well for 3D. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's vice like though.

Disappointing. You think that would have been THE thing Gaui fixed on the X5 V2. A good belt kit and a TT/gearing/boom setup that handled a ~95mm tail rather than a new frame which really wasn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigoe View Post
Running 550s and 96s on stock V2.
Wouldn't hold with 86s or 92s with an 8S power setup.
HS 2525 and 11.5 deg pitch.....really moves out.
Had to lower the pitch to get the tail to behave.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder what the chances are of them releasing a fix or upgrade if enough people complain to them about it? May be worth a shot lol

RCHN Listener Chat (Discord) - https://discord.gg/6SvCccC
corywrx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

A fix for better tail authority would be nice! However only inetresting if not silly expensive. Gaui should leave that tho others to make cheap helis and then charge heavy on 'upgrades' to make 'em flyable.
- DJI F450 pro
(NazaV2/GPS, SunnySky 2212, MWC Light, GoPro 2 BL gimbal)
- Blade mCPX,
Futaba T8FGs, Heli-X Sim
Rebel10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing wrong with the tail on the X5...only the blades.
The 550 blades have 11% more area than 520s that it was originally built for.
My 520 setup pulled 2100 to 2300 watts at full pitch....the 550 setup is pulling over 3100 at 1.5 degrees less pitch.
It needs a stronger tail to match...so....an Align 550 runs 92s, Align 600 runs 95, Goblin 570 runs 95.
So for an average setup 92s would be about right and 95s for a higher power setup.
Once the 95s were on, the tail gain came back to normal adjustment area, and the tail pitch slider is properly centered.
And try the belt drive , very smooth and doesn't slip..... some other helis do have a better design for the belt, but it does work well.
The final "vice like hold" comes in the fine tuning of the FBL more so than the frame.
I run a BeastX and know it will never get to "the vice" , but tuned to its best it wont blow out and exibits very little movement.
While arriving at the bigger blade size, I also tried three different servo arm lengths, from 10.5 degrees of pitch to 14, gov gain from 5 to 35, HS from 2300 to 2600 and dozens of combonations of all these!
Each one tuned to the best tail hold then all put in together to arrive at current settings.
And 85mm blades that hold at 80% tail gain is different than 95mm blades that hold at 52%. Your FBL will love you for it!
Goblin 700 Tri-oblin, Goblin 570 Freedom Edition #19
.... MSH Brain, Spektrum, MKS, Xpert, Scorpion, Kontronik, KDE, Helix, VTX
Chigoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigoe View Post
Nothing wrong with the tail on the X5...only the blades.
The 550 blades have 11% more area than 520s that it was originally built for.
My 520 setup pulled 2100 to 2300 watts at full pitch....the 550 setup is pulling over 3100 at 1.5 degrees less pitch.
It needs a stronger tail to match...so....an Align 550 runs 92s, Align 600 runs 95, Goblin 570 runs 95.
So for an average setup 92s would be about right and 95s for a higher power setup.
Once the 95s were on, the tail gain came back to normal adjustment area, and the tail pitch slider is properly centered.
And try the belt drive , very smooth and doesn't slip..... some other helis do have a better design for the belt, but it does work well.
The final "vice like hold" comes in the fine tuning of the FBL more so than the frame.
I run a BeastX and know it will never get to "the vice" , but tuned to its best it wont blow out and exibits very little movement.
While arriving at the bigger blade size, I also tried three different servo arm lengths, from 10.5 degrees of pitch to 14, gov gain from 5 to 35, HS from 2300 to 2600 and dozens of combonations of all these!
Each one tuned to the best tail hold then all put in together to arrive at current settings.
And 85mm blades that hold at 80% tail gain is different than 95mm blades that hold at 52%. Your FBL will love you for it!
So can this new v2 X5 run 550mm out of the box? also about the belt drive I did not know there was a belt version of this heli, is this new for this v2? I always herd people saying that if you fly aggressively the belt will skip and was not recommended for hard 3D flying.
Hovering Master is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovering Master View Post
So can this new v2 X5 run 550mm out of the box? also about the belt drive I did not know there was a belt version of this heli, is this new for this v2? I always herd people saying that if you fly aggressively the belt will skip and was not recommended for hard 3D flying.
yes, that's why it was redesigned, to run 550's. from what ive read, their belt had some issues. its sad that they didn't fix the belt for this v2 version.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

To run 550s on the X5v2, it's recommended to install the longer tail boom:

http://www.empirerc.com/gaui-x5l-tai...s-p-11313.html
joelr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelr View Post
To run 550s on the X5v2, it's recommended to install the longer tail boom:

http://www.empirerc.com/gaui-x5l-tai...s-p-11313.html
that boom is for earlier versions of the x5 for 550's. the v2 has a taller head block and different mainshaft so 550's can be run right out of the box..i'll see if I can find it but I read it here. so it has to be true
http://www.anythingheli.com/gaui-x5-...elicopter-kit/
500-550mm blades, stock.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Initially the X5v2 kit came out with the intention of being able to run 550s, but with the stock boom pilots were experiencing boom strikes and other issues. The kit linked above was released to address those issues and provide the ability to run longer blades.

For those wanting to stretch their X5 v1 or X4 without cutting down a X7 boom, the new boom kit works.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Initially the X5v2 kit came out with the intention of being able to run 550s, but with the stock boom pilots were experiencing boom strikes and other issues. The kit linked above was released to address those issues and provide the ability to run longer blades.

For those wanting to stretch their X5 v1 or X4 without cutting down a X7 boom, the new boom kit works.
I didn't doubt it works..i have one on my x5 formula but if you need that boom to run 550's on a v2, when they state that the v2 will run 550's, the new boom should be included in the kit. especially if theres known probs.

oh, and the tt that comes with the x5L boom combo that isn't sold separately,
is exactly the same as a trex 600 tt..drops right in..
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice find on the tt!

The description on the X5v2 was updated, you can see the current description here:

http://www.empirerc.com/gaui-x5-v2-b...t-p-11105.html
Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nice find on the tt!

The description on the X5v2 was updated, you can see the current description here:

http://www.empirerc.com/gaui-x5-v2-b...t-p-11105.html
so basically they didn't gain anything with the v2 except really expensive frames. the rest is almost just like the formula.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

What battery you guys running on the x5 stretched for 550 blades? I would say at least 4500 or 5000 and does it fit with canopy?
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought the new and improved main gear was the black one. Anybody know why the X5v2 has the 'old' red main gear??
Protos Max V2 770, Logo 550 SX v1, 2x Gaui X5 FESs, 2x Plastic Protos 500s, Protos 500 flybar, Trex 500 ESP FL, Protos 380, Trex 470L, Gaui X3, Trex 450 Pro V2 FBL, Trex 450 Pro flybar w/ Futaba GY520 - Skookum SK540s, a Brain and a Vbar.
Carpetbombing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My guess is , the black had and still have a manufacture issue that the middle hole and screw holes are all off. They include a small piece of paper in the package tell you to make "extra care" to make sure the gear centered, which actually means i have to use tapes and correct the screw holes myself.

And with the new kit if you don;t go 12s the traditional red is strong enough to use anyways.

Since they don't like to correct the black gear embarrassment, why spread it further with their shiny new kit ?

Just pure speculation based on stylized facts by me.
BlackWatch88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I'm not sure how they get the tail to hold with 82mm tails. I use 86mm and still have a hard time in serious funnels.

What size motor are you using? I'm running 2600RPM, 516mm Rail mains, Xnova 4020-1000kv Motor and 86mm Switch tails. Can't get the tail to let go if I tried, running a mini vbar. Strong winds, 13.5 deg collective full pitch backwards inverted loops into the wind, it's solid as.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in