Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SD Card Not Reading Files

Hi Guys:

SK720 LED green when not connected to computer. When is USB is connected, LED turns to slow blinking green. Drive E on computer showing no files, but when properties of E drive is clicked, capacity appears as 100% full. Same as when SD Card removed. Have tried to reformatting via the formatting option under drive E and via the Utility tab. No sure my problem is formatting, I'm just shooting down a dark hole. Anybody had this experience . If so, please help.

Thanks, Bill
Bill Fleming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe slow blinking green is correct when connect via usb with no battery power. If you re-formatted the card again via the interface, you need to follow my instructions again.

Format the card with FAT
Insert the card into SK720
Insert bind plug into SK720
Connect to Skookum Gyro Setup via USB
Let the reset happen
Disconnect from Skookum Gyro Setup
Remove Bind plug
Reconect to Skookum Gyro Setup.

If you don't see a SD card error, you're good to go.
Reload your setup, if you saved it, else;
Run the wizards and set up your heli again.

Dan
Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK. I've done your bind process, but what I don't understand is the SD is showing it is full. Surely it can't record if its full?

Bill
Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The blinking green light is normal behavior when connected USB. In Skookum Gyro setup do you see a green "Connected" bar and no SD card error? If so, do no more formatting, it's set up. Load your model file if you have it, or start a setup wizard if not. You're there.

Dan
Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

After going through the wizard, should there be any files on the E drive?

Bill
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have gone through the wizard completely. I have a new DX9 that that needs setting up, but I think I have that process under control. My only concern is during the wizard process, I got the Error message four times. Backed up and carefully forward and got through the particular steps. Seems when it happened, it was when information was being forwarded to the gyro's memory, like the selection of the type of receivers, etc.

Checked the SK720 E Drive and was able to step down and observe input data.

I'll take it and move forward, but I can't help having a bit of concern that everything is secure. I have a PhD in being a Worry-Wart.

Thanks to all of you good guys that went beyond what was required to get me going again.

Thank again to you all,

Bill
Old 12-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember right, the SD card only records flight logs. the actual settings from the heli setup are stored in the FBL itself, not the card.
So a malfunction of the SD card during flight will not result in a crash.
dcope17 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
If I remember right, the SD card only records flight logs. the actual settings from the heli setup are stored in the FBL itself, not the card.
So a malfunction of the SD card during flight will not result in a crash.
Correct.

Bill, your setup does not go on the card so you will NEVER see any files there associated with it. The SD card is only for storing the flight log files after each flight and that is it. You are not going to find any files there until after you start flying the model again!

YOU must save your setup file from the gyro on your PC. The system does not do it for you. Once you have a completed setup that works, you go under File/Save setup and save your setup file wherever you wish on your PC. This is what Georgi was asking you to do prior to doing the reset on your unit, that way you could have simply gone under File/Load setup and dropped it right back into the gyro again once you got it working again..

Now that it was lost you have no choice but to set it all up again manually, but please save the file as soon as you are done so you have it somewhere safe outside of the gyro in case anything else goes wrong moving forward.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Guys:

Good information! OK, but if the setup information goes into E drive how does it go there if it is full? Doesn't it have to come through Flash Drive or do I have it backward from the flight information? Something can't be saved if it is full?

Bill
Old 12-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The setup doesn't go to the "E" drive. It resides in the SK720 memory only. You can't see that on your computer. Setups can be stored on your computer if you save it. If you look at it with some sort of editor you'll see gibberish, it's not text. When you re-load a setup to theSK720, it will go back into memory only. You will only see your log files on the "E" drive. That is the micro SD card. If Skookum Gyro Setup is happy with the SD card, it really has capacity and you will see log files after you fly.

Dan
Old 12-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
Hey Guys:

Good information! OK, but if the setup information goes into E drive how does it go there if it is full? Doesn't it have to come through Flash Drive or do I have it backward from the flight information? Something can't be saved if it is full?

Bill

Bill
Ignore the E drive and SD card Bill! Your setup files do not go there or have anything to do with the SD card!!!!!!!!!!! Just pretend the SD doesnt even exist anymore at this point and stop looking at it

The gyro setup is stored locally in the device memory within the FBL itself where you cannot see. The FBL unit has a small amount of memory to store this data without the need of the SD card. As stated, YOU can then save the setup file from gyro to your computer at home.

To do this simply click the "File" dropdown within the software in the top LT corner, then choose "Save setup" option and save your setup file to your computer anywhere you want to save it for safe keeping just in case you were to lose the file from the gyro ever again. That file can then be reloaded back into the gyro just as easily if ever needed.

Please understand that none of this you are doing now with setting up the gyro again has anything to do with the SD card anymore. Files will ONLY appear on the SD card after you start flying the model again. Every flight will then result in a new flight log file on the card.

The flight logs store things such as how much vibration occurred in flight, what position your sticks on the TX were in while you were flying, the voltage the FBL was seeing, etc. They are the "black box" recording so to speak for each flight that occurs. That is the only thing the SD card is there to store
Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent explanation Tony. Ought to be a Sticky - I got it now. I hope someday I have a chance to buy you a beer!

Bill
Old 12-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

When trying to go through the wizard, The binding plug must be used because the message appears several times. If my understanding of what is happening is correct, the memory, even though I save it after each process, is erased and I lose all programming to that point.
.Also, the process freezes up several times. Turning everything off for a while is necessary to get it going. Seems like the SK gets quite warm. Might be with the gyro. What do you guys think? Should I send it to Art?

As always, thanks again,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Fleming; 12-31-2016 at 09:48 PM..
Old 01-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bill, you have any time to run over to Spokane in the near future? I bet we can sort this out in short order? Randy
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could also be USB3 port related. Try a USB2 hub or an older computer.

Dan
Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Giving you a personal ring on monday Bill!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in