Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > mQX

mQX Blade mQX Quad Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "Upgrade" to 180X?

Has anyone tried "upgrading" the mQX with 180X parts instead of buying a 180X?

From the pics on the horizon website, it looks like the motors, booms, etc. are the same. I think you would need:

5-in-1 unit - $65 - to allow remote on/off of camera
5-in-1 mounting frame - $5
Landing gear - $6
camera - $40

These parts would add up to $116 - maybe better off buying the BNF 180X and keeping the mQX for parts?

Carl
cfossa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfossa View Post
Has anyone tried "upgrading" the mQX with 180X parts instead of buying a 180X?

From the pics on the horizon website, it looks like the motors, booms, etc. are the same. I think you would need:

5-in-1 unit - $65 - to allow remote on/off of camera
5-in-1 mounting frame - $5
Landing gear - $6
camera - $40

These parts would add up to $116 - maybe better off buying the BNF 180X and keeping the mQX for parts?

Carl
Exactly my thoughts. Maybe you can save a bit on the landing gear when you build your own from cable ties. I've seen this somewhere here in this forum.

Additionally I tried write down a list of the benefits for myself when I was trying to make up my mind about that conversion. There's only one point on that list for me. It's the camera that can be switched on from the transmitter. (Don't need SAFE mode and switch it off most of the time on my nanoQX even when flying indoors) But is that really a benefit while you can just switch it on from the beginning of the flight an then use some video editor to cut out the parts you want?

I decided not to make a conversion but maybe I'll buy a camera. You can find cameras similar to 180's cam at eBay when you search for "key camera #16". (Beware, the number mean something and different numbers mean different cameras.)

But in case the mainboard of my mQX dies one day I'll certainly will make the conversion. Then it's a different calculation.

Last edited by ManInAGarden; 01-19-2014 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: spelling and clarification
ManInAGarden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I ended up buying the 180X. Being able to turn the camera on/off rand switch from video to still from the Tx is very convenient.

MQX and spare 4-in-1 for sale now :-)
cfossa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I would keep your mQX incase you need spares for your 180 QX as you will save more money in the long run. :-)

Dave
davethepitch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I ended up buying the 180X. Being able to turn the camera on/off rand switch from video to still from the Tx is very convenient.

Looking forward to seeing your videos and pictures in the 180QX thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in