Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default spartan gyro settings ok ?

iv rebuilt my 500 after my first crash, & after putting it back together replacing blades boom & main shaft & servo, iv finally got to setting my spartan760 back up, well after doing the set up iv checked the software set up, and here is a pic of my gyro settings. now there a bit different to the last settings i had before the crash,& id like someone's opinion wether the new settings are ok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro settings.png
Views:	205
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	44018  
jackp1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey man, this is great, I will save this for when I'm ready to move on to the Spartan gyro, thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

no problem there mate help yourself
Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Your endpoints are quite unequal. You might want to recenter your servo horn and rerun the setup. Without being obcessive, having the endpoint values closer is better.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWebber View Post
Your endpoints are quite unequal. You might want to recenter your servo horn and rerun the setup. Without being obcessive, having the endpoint values closer is better.
Is this not what you would expect if the servo is set up centre with no drift in rate mode? Asuming he has set it up to have no drift in rate mode?
JeromeF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

On this gyro you DO NOT set up rate mode. You don;t have to and it is not required per instructions.
All you need to do is set up for about 8 degrees of pitch when the servo is 90. But in doing so you will wind up with a difference between the end points left and right so I am a little confused about Mark's comment?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If your servo's centered and the tail blades are at about 8 degrees(normally what you get with the slider centered) you would see endpoints figures closer to each other based on servo ball position.

From the ds760 user guide:
[quote][
Ultimately, the most important factor is the servo travel which
ideally should be around 45° on either side of the mid-point (+/-15%).
For most servos this will result to gyro endpoints in the range 85-115%.
This combination gives a good balance between tail pitch correction
speed and available torque. If the servo travel or endpoints are
significantly different than this recommendation you may wish to change
the ball-link position to restore this balance.
/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Mark, that depends on the heli and slider geometry... On a Trex you do wind up with quite a difference when you have about 8 degrees when the servo horn is 90.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think its obvious that there is unequal end points, co's i set up using bob's videos,& like he sais above, with about 8 degree of pitch, the slider is always going to be off set or it should be unless its set up wrong thats my take on it
Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

On the T-rex 500 at least, it seems as if there are two (conflicting) theories of setting up the tail - both found in Spartans manual.

1) The setup that Mark quotes, where you have the servo horn at 90 and the tail pitch slider centered - which does not seem possible on the 500 due to tail geometry

2) The setup, also found in the manual, that Bob quotes, where you setup the tail with 8 degrees of pitch with the servo at 90 degrees, but resulting in the tail slider not being centered, and giving quite different end points.

I am a little confused as to which of the two different setting recommendations "wins" the battle.

Best regards

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have talked to Bert Kammerer about this by e-mail. He uses a Spartan ds760 on all his helis. At the Align Cup 2008 in Las Vegas, Nevada he placed 2nd in the 500 Masters class, so he should know.

He states that he does not center his tail slider. He uses a servo horn/arm that is in a perfectly 90 degree angle. He then sets his tail blades in a certain tail pitch. He flies in rate mode and adjusts his tail rod linkage mechanically until he has a heli that hovers in rate mode when the rudder is in neutral position and the servo horn in the 90 degree angle. He then goes back to his gyro configuration and re-modifies his gyro endpoints for the maximum tail pitch availabele. Switches back to Heading Hold and flies the baby.

But he also mentioned. The Spartan gyro is fast enough to do both methods, centering or not centering. But he says it all boils down to servo load. He things you have a better setup with the tail pitch mechanically adjusted so you have less servo load.

Hope this wil help.

Boudewijn

Last edited by wbplomp; 04-03-2008 at 06:01 AM..
wbplomp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
On this gyro you DO NOT set up rate mode. You don;t have to and it is not required per instructions.
All you need to do is set up for about 8 degrees of pitch when the servo is 90. But in doing so you will wind up with a difference between the end points left and right so I am a little confused about Mark's comment?

Bob
I set up EVERY gyro I use in rate mode to have no drift. It's good to be able to use both modes, and not have to input loads of rudder when changing.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeF View Post
I set up EVERY gyro I use in rate mode to have no drift. It's good to be able to use both modes, and not have to input loads of rudder when changing.
Well, that may be the case. But not every gyro is easy to use. For example, a GY401 has only one LIMIT, so you cannot set different gyro endpoints for each direction. The disadvantage of that tis that you cannot setup full throw on one side. Also with a GY401 when you do so (even when you program the rudder neutral positon) you will notice the piroette rate is very very different, because the GY401 does not support constant piroette rate. The Spartan ds760 does support different gyro endpoints though.
wbplomp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbplomp View Post
Well, that may be the case. But not every gyro is easy to use. For example, a GY401 has only one LIMIT, so you cannot set different gyro endpoints for each direction. The disadvantage of that tis that you cannot setup full throw on one side. Also with a GY401 when you do so (even when you program the rudder neutral positon) you will notice the piroette rate is very very different, because the GY401 does not support constant piroette rate. The Spartan ds760 does support different gyro endpoints though.
Indeed... this amoungst a few other reason is why i'm selling all my other gyros and replacing them with the DS760.

Two 6100t, one GY401, one 2100t and one GY611 are going and being replaced with DS760s hehe
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Indeed... this amoungst a few other reason is why i'm selling all my other gyros and replacing them with the DS760.

Two 6100t, one GY401, one 2100t and one GY611 are going and being replaced with DS760s hehe
Just as a teaser: The little (relative inexpensive) 2100T is able to set different end points, contrary to its bigger brother, the 401.

Peter
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by psindrup View Post
Just as a teaser: The little (relative inexpensive) 2100T is able to set different end points, contrary to its bigger brother, the 401.

Peter
Hehe this is true, but again... amoungst other reasons it's going.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Hehe this is true, but again... amoungst other reasons it's going.
You will be spending as much on gyros as I have on heli's

Peter
Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

well iv had plenty of help so cheers to you all thanks to wbplomp the explination you gave was how i set my gyro up.. what iv done is lower the endpoints to 100/100 on the radio so now my piro rate should be a bit slower, but i think the spartan is the most awesome gyro iv ever owned. i might even put on a futaba BLS351 servo and have a test, i think that combo would be great if i use 3000mah 6s lipo it should balance the tail anyway thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Mark, that depends on the heli and slider geometry... On a Trex you do wind up with quite a difference when you have about 8 degrees when the servo horn is 90.

Bob
Uh, now would be a good time for Angelos to chime in. We're in a T500 thread and the T500 tail geometry means that a centered pitch slider results in close to 0° pitch. I'd be grateful for the gyro's designer to weigh in with some 'in range' end point settings to go with a recommended set up. Yeah?
raylepper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

He did already.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=47240&page=32

Chris
Chris7378 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in