Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YS 120 gets hot.

OK so I just got my ys120 back from ys and im in the process of breaking it in. I/ve gone through 6 tanks now where the needles were at 2.5 high and 2 mid ( i just want to run it rich). So i started to lean it out yesterday and i got significant increase in power but the only problem i got now is the motor gets really hot. If my high needle is at 1.5, at which the motor is not as hot, the motor produces no power at all; however , if i lean the needle to 1.25 i get " ok" power but the motor gets very hot. What should i do now? Even at 1.25 i can still see some fuel dropping out of the muffler so i know i can lean it more but i dont want to do it because is too hot to touch. I;ve watched tim jones tunning videos and he says not to measure temperature when tuning but it is concerning.
Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try opening the idle as far as you can...see if you can get it ticking over at about 3/4 open or even 1 turn if possible....
jwatts007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm at approximately l.5 turns open on my high speed needle, temps are right around 200 degrees, still runs rich and has gobs of power. Mid range needle is open around 1 3/4 and the low is about 1 turn open. I'm running Wildcat CY 30% nitro fuel.
Bobs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounds obvious, but please check all plumbing because this motor will cause air leaks. I put a small extra piece of fuel tubing over all connections especially the tank. You may not see the leak but your symptoms are there. Ive also learned that 1 click can go from kinda rich to pretty lean. Go back to 2 out on high and mid and slowly tune mid until perfect the do some very high climbs to tune the high.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
It sounds obvious, but please check all plumbing because this motor will cause air leaks. I put a small extra piece of fuel tubing over all connections especially the tank. You may not see the leak but your symptoms are there. Ive also learned that 1 click can go from kinda rich to pretty lean. Go back to 2 out on high and mid and slowly tune mid until perfect the do some very high climbs to tune the high.

ok, will check for leakage this weekend.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Especially where pumped air enters tank! That cured my inconsistency and even helped with bubbles in the regulator to carb line.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 1.20 is pretty hot on the back plate. I just tune to where it runs good but puts out plenty of continous smoke. So far so good, i got probably 6 cases of fuel through the motor. I can hold my finger on the back plate for ten seconds but start to scream at 8 seconds.
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlett View Post
My 1.20 is pretty hot on the back plate. I just tune to where it runs good but puts out plenty of continous smoke. So far so good, i got probably 6 cases of fuel through the motor. I can hold my finger on the back plate for ten seconds but start to scream at 8 seconds.
what is you needles setting? like 35-38 clicks from completely close?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was just flying and didn't think to measure temps. I'll count clicks and be back.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default re

I had the same issue. My YS120 sounded extremely rich and smoked like a freight train, but it would run to hot if I tried to lean out the needles. It’s a very difficult motor to tune. I had some of my local Nitro pilots help me tune it and by the time we got the motor sounding good and producing good power, it was coming down at 220 degrees. That’s too hot.

My 105HZR is a lot easier to tune and makes good power. The YS120 is a lot stronger. But I will stick to my 105.

My YS120 is a paper weight at the moment. I am in need of a piston pin retainer and they are not selling them at the moment. I have called and Emailed them with no response. I guess that means they are out of stock. I will keep the motor as a backup just in case, they are worthless on the for sale forums anyway.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

whittb,

Shoot me a Pm...I just had a piston blown apart on a YS120...Instead of fixing it, I decide to just buy a new YS 120, one that I know the complete history of...anyways, if I have any parts that might help you, I'd be glad to hepl out till new ones become available..

Jim

jsfowler@catc.net
#1 - Compass 7HV, Scorpion 4530 , VBAR, Kosmik 200
#2 - Logo 700
G200driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the gudgeon clips out of the YS 90s G shaped and easier too install and get out, the C clips are a pain......
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default re

I considered using a clip from another engine, but they do not completely fit inside the small grove on the YS120's piston. I have a friend at my local field that lost his engine when one of the clips he re-used came out during a flight.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks like YS have to rethink their strategy.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am sure they 90 sized clips fit ok it is reusing them that may cause a problem if they are out of shape...
All my mates have 105s so I have not got anyone I can compare mine with, but I am sure they need plenty of fuel through them before they can be leaned out and tuned for full power...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts007 View Post
I am sure they 90 sized clips fit ok it is reusing them that may cause a problem if they are out of shape...
All my mates have 105s so I have not got anyone I can compare mine with, but I am sure they need plenty of fuel through them before they can be leaned out and tuned for full power...
that is wrong the os 105 can be leaned out after a few tanks, this coming from a rep and a couple pros at the field and me!
*Perspective is key*
jgalen0025 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalen0025 View Post
that is wrong the os 105 can be leaned out after a few tanks, this coming from a rep and a couple pros at the field and me!
To be honest I fly one tank at factory recommendations then by 5th-8th flight I'm damn near tuned on all my motors! Seems to work fine for me!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By the end of gallon number 2, my YS 120 was tuned and running strong! Many cases later, it's still a stump puller, with just a couple clicks change here and there for temperature changes.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is a good temperature rang?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remembered to check my settings this weekend;

Mid 42 clicks
High 45 clicks
Rotor Rage 22.5%
Enya #4 plug
Hatori pipe
Gov set at 16400 rpm
Ambient temps 90 F
Temp just under head immediately after hard flight 180F
Max temp on head 197 F
Backplate feels hot but can hold for 8-10 seconds
Plenty of smoke
Lots of power

The last two comments are pretty subjective but the 1.20 has much more power than my OS .91 Hzr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in