Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor out of trim

How are you guys dealing with a flymentor out of trim?
I take off and the helicopter starts to go to the right.
This is a student's helicopter. Align 500
I am not a novice so I test flew the heli in CCPM mode w/o flymentor.
Then installed the flymentor.
I found I could use subtrim to get it to center better but wondering what's the "foolproof" method people are using.

I want to be able to give this back to the student then tell him how to start it up and trim it on his own.
dditch66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dditch66 View Post
How are you guys dealing with a flymentor out of trim?
I take off and the helicopter starts to go to the right.
This is a student's helicopter. Align 500
I am not a novice so I test flew the heli in CCPM mode w/o flymentor.
Then installed the flymentor.
I found I could use subtrim to get it to center better but wondering what's the "foolproof" method people are using.

I want to be able to give this back to the student then tell him how to start it up and trim it on his own.
Hopefully this will help...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=237375

Leon
leons is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I just always mechanic setup the rotor had and all me trims on the radio on 0. Take of and if it's drifting agein only adjust the helicopter rotor had... Works great for me.

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk
radys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should not use subtrim and only 2-3 click of TX trim maximum. FM does not like subtrim or trim. Use the neutral sliders under the Helibal servo tab they work like subtrim. These neutrals should be used to level and centre the swash when FM is set up and re-adjusted if more than a few clicks of trim are required to hover. Also pitch,aileron and elevator range should be set useing travel's under the control tab, at least the pitch range should be checked. There is a set up sticky at the top of the page that explains this. Hope this helps.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thx guys.
This heli is for a student who can't even hover yet. He's tried for a year now and his old eyes and reflexes are not really cut out for this. So all he's got to do is hover.
I set the flymentor gain so it was off. I then trimmed the swash mechanically to get a stable hover.

I then turned the gain up on the flymentor to -25 (I'm setting gain via the handheld programmer cause I'm on a 6ch RX) and it would push to the right. I turned the gain up to 40 and it became almost uncontrollable.

So I believe I have a vibe issue.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try mounting the gyro under the heli just forward of the rear skid, a lot less vibration down there. Mount it by the lid useing PU Gel and a velcro strap.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, I mounted inside the frame forward of the rear skid.
Used Zeal gel.
I have my gear switch set for off and Balance mode.
When off it flies level, set to balance mode and it banks right.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the swash tip right if you switch to balance with the head stationary.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure you initialize the FM on a level surface. Make sure the heli is set up mechanically perfect. Use a level gauge for the swash and a level gauge and flybar lock for the pitch. Make sure the blades are perfectly balanced, the flybar rod is perfectly centered. The main shaft and feathering shaft are perfectly straight. If you do all these things, which are fairly easy to do, you will eliminate a lot of heartache.
Montana is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Swash tips right EVERY time. I let go of the sticks and it goes right. It's level when I let go of the sticks and I did not have to touch the trim. the bank to the right is VERY noticable. I can power up with the heli leanding to the right or leaning to the left and it still banks right when I turn it on.

I am doing this for someone else and I don't have the time to narrow down the issue. I'm going to be just buddy boxing him without the flymentor. I'd been buddy boxing him and others with my flymentor 450 and the 450 has way more vibes than this one.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i once made a wrong memory model with subtrims and nearly cause near crash
the FM's gyro does not MEMORIZE trimmed or subtrimed center set in anyway like regular gyros, it would register as a stick command or input! its like give it a fix stick input and is not good.
for the software, i do all the reverse there, i only use the slider to set my servos horns 90 degress, the rest mechanical adjustment from servo links, swash leveling to blades! my radio does not have any reverse, trim or subtrims.
if it balances well mechanically and you have the right swash level, it will be easier changing radio with default or reset setting and just change to 1 servo ccpm and you good to go!
jbx907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in