Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess there might even be a better source for the carbon with free shipping. I am very happy with these. It cost me about $70 to get the two 1 meter long tubes, though, so not a cheap project.

I added the struts to have the same coefficient of expansion for the temp variations. Probably a bit over the top on that, but I like carbon.

I really wanted some struts like the ones Century has offered...they have the same weave as the boom. Never found any. These will perform fine, though.
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

might be able to just look for some 8mm weaved carbon tube and put the ends on for boom supports. it would top it off. then some chronos style carbon struts and carbon tube for the skids as well. full carbon edition. then you just need the carbon canopy. thats gonna be the most spendy part. might even have to do your own with some custom molds and vacuum bag setup. if i had the cash, i would do it. just dreaming again
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ive got about 6 flights in today and flew Cyclone 555, and then Rail 556 blades that I took from a friend's heli. I've never flown the cyclones before I usually fly Rail, and they are both very nice blades the cyclic on the cyclones was nicer but the Rails had more pop, I ran the same settings and head speed for both flat curve of 55% which is plenty from my Kontronic esc and compass motor. Anyone compared these two blades before and what we're your thoughts?
Compass 550 ULT, Eznov Neuron | Thunder Tiger e700 Mini Vbar | Thunder Tiger G4 e820 SPARTAN (Committed suicide)| DX8 #286
Stevewashere is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good Rob.
I had mixed feeling about the cyclone 69.. on my 90. The edge se have a nicer feel to them and much cheaper.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive flown rail 556 and cyclone 555 back to back on my 550U. The rails have a great cyclic feel to me and are very precise for tight smack 3d but are not as good at high speed, High G manuvers as cyclones. The cyclones give a more floaty feel of a longer blade and give a little bit lighter disk loading which is why i think they are better for big air high speed manuvers. Doing full collective hurricanes the rails would eventually load up and get mushy then pitch up and the cyclones allow just a little bit more headroom. They both auto well and are great blades. I like both
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice thanks for your input
Compass 550 ULT, Eznov Neuron | Thunder Tiger e700 Mini Vbar | Thunder Tiger G4 e820 SPARTAN (Committed suicide)| DX8 #286
Old 01-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
ive flown rail 556 and cyclone 555 back to back on my 550U. The rails have a great cyclic feel to me and are very precise for tight smack 3d but are not as good at high speed, High G manuvers as cyclones. The cyclones give a more floaty feel of a longer blade and give a little bit lighter disk loading which is why i think they are better for big air high speed manuvers. Doing full collective hurricanes the rails would eventually load up and get mushy then pitch up and the cyclones allow just a little bit more headroom. They both auto well and are great blades. I like both

Good to hear, I just ordered a pair of cyclones for my rush. Cant wait to get it back in the air!
kane601 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Posted it in the For Sale today. Have one more 6U airframe to list too.
Also my 7Hv Ult is posted and a parts lot for it. Have a peek if your interested, priced pretty well I think.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ive compared the Compass, Rail, Align and Cyclone blades in the last month and update is, I prefer the Rail blades the best. I had high hopes for the Cyclones and they were not what I expected, they were ultra smooth in fact the smoothest of all 4 sets of blades but very little bite which was not what I expected. Compass had more bite but not as smooth as Rails and the Compass had the next best bite after Rails but the least smooth last but not least the Align no bite but nice and smooth so next blade purchase will be Rail or I might try Zeal or if halo make a 555 size blades a pair of those
Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cried with my 550U today! She was flying great so I naturally made a huge mistake and asked a friend to take some pics of me flying inverted and WAMM! Two feet off the runway I gave positive instead of negative! Needless to say as my buddy put it, he didn't expect the movie to end that way! LOL And No he didn't get any pics before I put her down! So sad day for all.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great weekend in the desert flying my 6HVU & Chronos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desert fun.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	567051  

Compass Field Rep/KBDD Team pilot/Experiencrc.com
sewerfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
Looks good Rob.
I had mixed feeling about the cyclone 69.. on my 90. The edge se have a nicer feel to them and much cheaper.

Hmm. Interesting. I tried the Cyclones on my 7HV, and wasn't impressed. Put the Edge SE693 back on. But for price comparison, I paid the same for each. And I don't think I will find any more sets of Edge SE693 over here. Probably won't buy the Cyclones again, not that I dislike them...just not thrilled with them. I run them on my 700N. Definitely didn't care for the Cyclone105mm tail blades. Might be able to tune them, but they didn't hold well as-is when swtiching out a set of Aligns.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rob43 you should give the rails a go if you haven't before they are awesome IMHO
Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew Rail 696 on the 7HV from 2011-2014. They were very good indeed. Would have still been flying them, but the ground won that argument. I flew the Rail 106s and 116s out back during that time too.

I now have the Cyclone 695s on the 700N, and out back it has that set of Rail 106s. Haven't flown them on it. I have a minor intermittent hum in the tail which I decided to experiment with. It's been heard with the Align 105's.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

"What did you do with your 6HVU / 550U today?"

I FLEW IT!

I am rotating my Compass machines (in terms of which one I fly on a given day).

In the last week or so I have flown the Chronos, the Warp, the Stretched Atom, and now the 6HV-U. I think now that the stock Atom and the 7HV-U need a bit of airtime!

I have been working on my take-offs and landings with a large scale (65") P-40 and fly the Compass helicopters afterward as a reward (I still find flying the Compass helicopters much easier than greasing a landing with the P-40!).
Old 02-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got a few flights in and tried the self trim function on my fbl (Spartan Vx1e) and it has added even more stability to my 550U, it is even more locked in now than ever and I upped the agility on cyclic and its almost perfect just need a few minor changes to the tail.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did the Spartan replace, Steve?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Rob it replaced an MSH brain / ikon and I'm happier with the change, nothing to do with the brain more to do with my crap tuning ability and the data pod has been awesome
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ive been getting a few flights in this year on my 550U, about 60 so far and it just gets better
Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put three flights on the Chronos today and two on the 6HV-U!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in