Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My temps seemed hot at idle too... For break in ... But I'm ready to start tuning and ripping her around... 4 tanks at idle would be an eternity! Lol. Basic hover too... But there's something different about this new g10 motor... Doesn't look like a conventional gasser at all... Very simplistic with a much different design... Not sure exactly what those differences are cause it's my first gasser... But I'm very impressed so far!

It looks just like a nitro engine... Carb and all... No butterfly... Only difference is the lack of smoke and fuel added to fly...
Hot Apple Pie Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

We Strongly recommend idling 4 tanks of fuel through the motor, then after that, just hovering for a few more tanks just to get fuel through the motor. Gassers break in differently then Nitro motors.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey JC!

Quick question then... Idle a tank continuos all the way through swapping rx/cdi packs or adding two big batts? Or... Doing idle/heat up cycles of 20 mins or so then cooling down?

My gasser took over 2 hours of continuous idling to try and drink one tank of gas... Swapped batts 3 times and restarted... Rx packs lasted about 45-50 mins each before the Heli would brown out from low voltage...

Is a 20 min heat up, then cool down what you're wanting? Or full tank continuous idle for 2+ hours what you're wanting?

Very little info on the web about this little motor for tune up and break in... But I did read Doug Darby's suggestion of the 4 tank idle...
Hot Apple Pie Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Hot Apple Pie Guy! The engine does get much hotter idling than conventional nitro engines as gas engines just are. Also, you do not have to keep the radio system running for the full two hours for idling it straight through a tank. Simply adjusting the servo position to the carb to keep it idling is fine and saves your electronics the stress
iKon Flybarless
Swooper6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Forgot to time it ... But I did decide to go ahead and idle the motor for another tank... Went to idle the remaining half tank I had in it... I'd guess 40-45 mins or so...

After that I went to recharge the batteries, found the rx pack at 11% (850mah 2s) and the cdi pack was at 63% (850mah 2s)... Note to self... Keep an eye out for a larger rx pack if I need it to help with CG... Lol

Gonna give her a couple of soft flight tanks... Basic hovering ... I'll time em to see how long they take... Still don't have a gov sensor on her yet... Might add an old one I've got on her and see if it functions... Or get one on order...

Quick question... Any of you gasser guys going with a header tank? Would the weight be worth it for 'longer' flight times? Lol
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

So... Just times a 21:07 flight for one tank... General hovering/break in... Set up a gov sensor and was tryin for 2200 headspeed... Dunno if it took... Gonna go reset my gov speeds to all the same 2200 in all flight modes so I will know if it's running governed or going off the flat thro curves the skookum requested...

So, 21 minute flight times per 9oz tank of pre- mix... In a general hover with little to no loading... At 2200 headspeed, or 40% flat throttle equivalent... Once I verify the gov was working can confirm the headspeed numbers..

Flipped to st1 at one point early to see if gov worked(60-60-60 thro curve and 2400 headspeed) and she started singin! But... Didn't know if the headspeed change was cause gov worked... Or if it was from jumping up from 40 flat to 60 flat thro curves... Will refuel and retest with 2200 as my desired headspeed all modes... There's no way I was gonna touch st2 that flight... 100-100-100 thro curve would've been scary if gov wasn't functioning... Lol. I'm not THAT ballsy...

Note to self: Align plastic 3 way fuel filters DO NOT work in gassers... Melted itself from the inside out and the tips broke off when pulling it off... Will try a aluminum 3 way filter setup I've got spare from before... Geometry works better, but dunno if the rubber o-ring is gasser safe...

EDIT: gov sensor isn't picking up the magnets... Might need to buy a new one... So, my 21 minute hover flight was at 40% flat throttle... Tried st2 and doing punchouts at 60% flat curve... Tons of power, no hesitation, and no bogging at full collective ... But, I have no idea what headspeed it was so I didn't keep it there long...

Last edited by Hot Apple Pie Guy; 08-31-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a gasser last year, not the gaui, but the theory should be the same.

Theory : it's not a good idea to disturb the fuel line from the tank to the carb, no T's or extra fittings.
Check out the gasser sections about plumbing
Old 08-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did a little research... I see what you're talking about...

Dunno if this gaui is different... Because it's basically a nitro engine case, tank, and carb... At least it appears that way...

I do notice air bubbles in the line when I refuel... But haven't noticed any strange characteristics in flight yet...

I do like the part about the vent line being wrapped in a few circles.. I'll probly implement that..

This gas tank only has a vent out the top, and a clunk looking forward... So without adding 'extra' holes in the tank... A T is needed to refuel... Will look into this situation more a lil later... Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Apple Pie Guy View Post
I do like the part about the vent line being wrapped in a few circles.. I'll probly implement that..
I tried running a one way valve on two different heli's, with no luck. The coiled vent line works really well.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #50 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Alex, did the engine come with the CDI? I can't find anywhere to buy the CDI other than Gaui's website. Where did you get yours?
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #51 (permalink)

My HF Map location

nevermind, figured it out.
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #52 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Check your fuel tubing in the tank. Make sure you replace it with tygon tubing or it melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
Alex, did the engine come with the CDI? I can't find anywhere to buy the CDI other than Gaui's website. Where did you get yours?
Blade scraper,
Its kinda off set on it. Threw me off too. Only thing extra u need is fuel tubing. Engine has everything it needs for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abaksa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #53 (permalink)

Had a minor problem with my engine. Sent it back to empire. They replaced it . Thanks ZC. Gonna run a few extra tanks through it. Maybe about 6. Before i take it off the ground. Should have it back up in the air next weekend just in time for the central PA funfly. Robird gov settings coming soon. Working on getting it setup now. For now i will leave you guys with a pic of my buddy's nx4.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409928769.551186.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	534044

Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaksa View Post
Had a minor problem with my engine. Sent it back to empire. They replaced it . Thanks ZC. Gonna run a few extra tanks through it. Maybe about 6. Before i take it off the ground. Should have it back up in the air next weekend just in time for the central PA funfly. Robird gov settings coming soon. Working on getting it setup now. For now i will leave you guys with a pic of my buddy's nx4.Attachment 534044

Is that bgymr'?
iKon Flybarless
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swooper6 View Post
Is that bgymr'?

Yup!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaksa View Post
Yup!

NICE!!! I'll text him good pic glad you guys had fun.
iKon Flybarless
Old 09-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

So... Are all you nx4 gasser guys running govs right now? Or using thro curves ?

Got some more flights in today... And tweaking some thro curves... But the numbers and tune are rather surprising... Plenty of power... But hardly using the carbs full potential... Can we talk about setups and tuning a bit? There's not a whole lot of info out there on these little guys yet...
Old 09-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #58 (permalink)

Default NX4 Gasser Build Thread

Im gonna try and run a gov. But im running throttle curves for now. Definitely has plenty of power, im surprised. What curves are you guys running? Max throttle as well. Seems like at 20% throttle its purring away. And hovers.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, I set my thro servo to have full travel of the carb... And here's what I've noticed...

She likes to start at idle at 17%... Plus or minus a few thro trim clicks depending on if she's cold or hot... Or the weather...

I tend to adjust the idle mixture screw just about every time I start her... Find the 'happy' spot...

My thro curves are:
Normal: 17-inh-35-inh-40
St1: 45-inh-40-inh-45
St2: 51-44-42-44-51

My needle settings after flying yesterday are:
Low needle: 2 3/4 almost flush with the carb side(low)
High needle: 3 3/4+

What's that going to do with a gov when it tries to give 100% thro... And currently I'm just at 51% thro at full stick and it likes it there ? I'm curious ... Either my settings and tune are waaay off... Or a gov will be able to figure this out...
Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got to see one in person do its first test hover yesterday, However, the vibrations from the gasser engine were causing all the servos to twitch.

It seemed like the SK540 could not handle the vibrations of a gasser. Anyone else using that FBL?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in