Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FB vs. FBL Atom 500

Compared to my box stock FB T 500, the Atom 500 is a lot harder to fly (its very 'twitchy', perhaps the stablization effect of the flybar in the Atom is much less then the Tres 500. At the same time the tail is not as solid, and piro's are very inconsistent.

Doing verious menouvers, the Atom requires much more correction to keep it on its intended path. My Atom has Aligh 650 tail servo and a Futaba 401 gyro. Everything is checked for binding and main head is set according to build video.

When the Atom does a large loop, I have to make eleron and tail corrections through out the loop to make it look right, in my Trex 500, I just pull pack the elevator and manage cyclic accordingly.

To solve the above problem, I am thinking of converting the Atom to FBL, for those who have flown both, is it a huge difference in terms of stability and consistency?

BTW, I am planning to use a 3G system that I already have.
baja5b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hmm. I've never found my FB Atom 500 to be twitchy. The only time I ever had any problems was when the links in the head were too tight; they need to be loose enough that the flybar swings very freely.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What rates do you have your machine set up to? It should be very well locked in on all facets so maybe you have it set up incorrectly?
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying the Atom since just before it was released.

Normally it takes less effort/correction than a Trex 500 for fly straight, so something is definitely wrong here.

Did you ream/fit the ball links? Alan's statement about the head being tight is correct. The first place to look is the ball links. I flew mine with them tight and after reaming them to fit properly. This changes the personality of the machine more than you can imagine. It was quite challenging before reaming the links, and completely locked in afterward.

Regarding Tim's comments on the rates, that is another good place to look. The Atom requires much less swashplate throw than the Trex 500 and is far, far quicker (IMHO).

The Atom (properly set up) tracks through loops and rolls with very little correction (long axial rolls are especially good).

We just need to identify what is different in yours and correct it?

What radio are you using?

What gyro?

What servos?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Atom 500 flies perfectly, best cyclic I know (like the 6HV).
quick, precise, a real pleasure. (S9650)
tail is just where you want it to be (ds760 + bls251)

so double check your setup and you'll be very pleased with your heli.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think there will always be need of corrections with a flybarred helicopter. The better it is setup, the better it will track, in my experience, but in bigger or smaller amounts it will always need a touch of aileron/elevator inputs throughout maneuvers.

But I dont see it as a problem, to have to "steer" the heli. It is just having FBL on another machine that is making you lazy.

The only solution is to go FBL all the way.

(Im enjoying having both.)

Last edited by latte; 03-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: typo
latte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input, as far as set up is concerned. All linkages are smooth and free with out play, no blade tracking problems etc.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the cyclic servos. They are called 'Spring RC', Chinese company/made digital servos. They seem to work good on the ground, lots of torque..

My radio is a Futaba 10C, 617 receiver, Futaba 401 tail gyro and Align 650 tail servo. A HW 60A ESC to control the motor. I'll try lowering the cyclic movements on the radio, thou this will only make my controls more docile rather then making the heli itself more 'stable' and less twitchy.

If I jused FBL main blades on my FB'd machine, do you think it'll help a bit with my problem.
baja5b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Take a servo horn glue a long thin metal pole to it, put your setup on math grid paper and give servo inputs and hold, let back and let it center and repeat.

Then see if servos hold without twitching, and if the servos center perfectly each time. If they don't that's your problem.

This is the reason only a few brands of servos is popular, if it does not center well it's not a good match for a heli
myrseth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was going to say, those are probably junk servos. I have used comparatively slow servos in mine and have flown a couple other ones with even slower servos and the machine(s) are still incredibly nimble. Without a good, quantitative set of specs to go off of, I would say that it's most likely cheesy servos. There could still be other issues that we do not know about, but I can certainly tell you without a shadow of a doubt, an Atom 500 will fly circles around the Trex counterpart any day of the week. If you are seeing less than stellar results, it has to be something wrong with the setup or your equipment.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on what everone else says about the Atom. I own both. Granted the Trex500 is FB and my Atom is FBL but there is no way the Atom could fly so much better just because it's FBL. My Trex is set up really well to and flies great so as previously said it must be set up related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in