Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 500 EFL maiden flight

After many hours of sim and practice with nano and Mcpx eventually maidened my 500 EFL with AR 7200BX, that has been built and waiting for the last 18 months plus! Very short flight, after hovering at around 3 feet, tried to correct backward motion, with forward cyclic and the elevator appears reversed as reaction was opposite and she went backwards into the ground. Stripped torque tube drive gears, apart from that all seems fine. Torque gears on order ( along with spares) any advice on what to correct with AR7200BX welcomed, as I thought it was all correct after checking and double checking the setup multiple times.
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.0F1B37C8-92DF-4C2E-9FA4-B2B6C6375E42.MOV (1.36 MB, 80 views)
HellyD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How were you checking your setup?
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just went through instructions supplied with the AR7200bx, all seemed to be correct? Went through the whole routine more than three times. Will run through again once the parts arrive and I have it all back together.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had a BeastX, so I'm not sure what the instructions tell you to do. Here's how I verify that all my settings are correct. (I verify these before every flight too.) First - WITH THROTTLE HOLD ON - move your collective, and check that the swash moves the right direction, while staying level. Then check that cyclic inputs move the swash in the proper direction - the swash should tilt in the direction you move the cyclic stick. Then check rudder - the trailing edge of your tail blades should move in the direction you move the rudder stick. The next step is to check that your gyro is correcting the right way. Pick the heli up, and swing the tail around - the trailing edge of the tail blades should move toward the direction the tail is moving. Then tilt the heli side to side and forward to back. The swash should tilt in the opposite direction (toward the direction that will let it get back to "level").

If all of that is happening as it should, then the settings are correct, regardless of what FBL you're using.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you simply have elevator reversed in the transmitter. If the BeastX were reversed everything would have happened lightning fast, and you wouldn't have been able to get it to a 3 foot hover because it would have tilted forward or aft immediately.
Once you are at it, check aileron and rudder as well.
I had made the same mistake when I went out to maiden my 500E (converted to flybarless with a MicroBeast) earlier this year, but fortunately I caught the mistake during the pre-flight check. Still puzzled how it escaped me, because I could have sworn that I had checked it multiple times at home.
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gladius is right, you should check the swash/tail corrections and swash/tail response to stick inputs before each flight. Note that I don't say before each session but before each flight. That saved me once I reversed the cyclic and the change passes unnoticed until I was in the field.
That will also show if if a has developed somewhere in the sistem during previous flight or if there is binding or strange noises, rotating the blades by hand is also a good check to find strange noises, clicks, binding, etc. All that takes no more then 10-15 seconds but can save you hours in the hangar
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you reverse the ele servo which I think what everyone said is correct, you will still have to go into the menu in the 7200bx and correctly choose the right swash servo direction in step " I " . you cant do just one..you can check this after making the changes without even spooling it up or while waiting for parts..i hope this helps. the 7200bx is on all of my helis. I does have its quirks and is def prone to vibes but once you understand the menus is quite easy
Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't have to change anything in the MicroBeast when I had my elevator reversed in the radio. Doesn't hurt to double-check, though...
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update, just checked and as all suggested the elevator was reversed on the Tx. Reversed the elevator rechecked menu I again ( was correct) and will be ready to go again as soon as the parts come in. Thanks to all, and for the tip to check cyclic direction every flight.

This hobbies a big learning curve, and without Helifreak and you guys it would be a a lot steeper!

Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It takes so little to crash a heli, but by sharing what we've experienced, it takes a lot of the mystery out of a crash, and hopefully prevents a repeat! Let us know how your next flight goes!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good luck on the next flight!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, parts came in last week, finally got round to doing the repair tonight. Stripped it all down, but as I pulled the bearing off the old umbrella gear it came apart! Of course I don't have a spare so waiting for the UPS truck again, as I can't find an Align parts HS anywhere near Naperville IL
Old 07-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got my elf done. I spooled it up today to check for vibrations. I might try and fly it tomorrow. This has been my first fbl. The setup can be confusing
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellyD View Post
So, parts came in last week, finally got round to doing the repair tonight. Stripped it all down, but as I pulled the bearing off the old umbrella gear it came apart! Of course I don't have a spare so waiting for the UPS truck again, as I can't find an Align parts HS anywhere near Naperville IL
Boy oh boy, do I feel your pain! I have been in that spot too many times myself. A helpful hint is to stock extra spares. That way, you have parts on hand already. Then, whether it's a crash or a repair gone awry, you don't have to wait to fix your heli. I've been working on repairing my 500 after a crash last week, and aside from the ESC, I haven't had to buy ANYTHING!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm glad I read your post, I went back and checked my setup on my elf and found I had the rudder servo reversed. I changed it and the first flight was great.
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally managed to find the time to make the repair and get back to the field. Flew 2 packs ( tail in hover only , only flown MCPX before now) no issues or crashes . totally addicted can't wait for the storm to pass through tomorrow and get back in the air!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great to hear!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in