Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Will Horizon Hobby help with a non working cable?

Bought my Phoenix sim software new about 4 years ago. Recently it started giving the "Please plug in your transmitter" message even though the factory original cable was plugged in. By wiggling the cable I determined there was an issue with the end of the cable that plugs into the computer, right where the wire cable meets the computer jack. By wiggling it just right the error message would go away. But now no amount of wiggling works and the program is unusable. And the cable 'looks' absolutely perfect.

Just got off the phone with Horizon customer support after waiting 25 minutes for them to pick up. In their defense, the recorded wait message indicated I could have dialed 1 and they would have called me back when I was next in line but I didn't. Anyway, the courteous customer rep indicated I would have to buy a new simulator as the cable dongle is part of their anti-counterfeiting technology. I told him I understood that and asked if I could send in the old cable and if they could fix it or exchange it. He said I could send it in but he couldn't guarantee what would happen after that.

I'll keep you posted on what transpires.
blorph is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have repaired a dongle in the past (for another piece of copy protected software) by soldering on a length of USB cable to the printed circuit board of the (mangled) dongle. In that case, somewhat like yours, there was no other option because the Software company was several versions past that old one and couldn't/wouldn't sell another dongle.

Anyhow I was very careful about tracking where each connection was. As for the USB cable, I simply cut an extra one I had in half, and then soldered the individual wires to the correct location on the dongle. Actually worked well, in fact with the cable, the dongle was no longer sticking straight out from the USB port where it was being continually whacked by the users!
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had this problem with my DX7. Problem was that I had worn out the trainer port on the back of the radio.

I was able to get a replacement trainer port for Dx7 and fitted myself. Problem fixed and only cost me about $5.

[Trex 600N, V-Bar] [Trex 450ProV2, 3Gx] [Trex 470LM Microbeast Plus]
squibcakes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

As long as you have the original non-working Phoenix USB cable, you can send it in to exchange it for a fee.
TowPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same problem and have sent an email to HH, hope to get a response soon. And I hope they don't expect me to buy a whole new sim.

Aloha,
Les
MolokaiBoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phoenix Official site also has this http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/s...epair-10-p.asp
puzom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies.

When I originally called Horizon the rep was very courteous but the impression I got was 'you can send the cable in if you want, it might get fixed, you're on your own". And he didn't mention the L15 charge that the last poster mentioned.

Knowing that if I tried to solder it I'd ruin it I had a friend who is very experienced at this solder it for me. Works perfectly again.

Boy, my learning curve sure flattened without that sim.
blorph is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in