Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters

Hirobo Nitro Helicopters Hirobo Freya Evo Eagle Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FIrst start mishap - Shuttle Plus OS 32 needle valve adjustment

Hi:

Well while I am still ironing out the gyro and servo settings of my 2002 Shuttle Plus I could not resist tryng to start it. I removed the blades, added fuel, attached the glow starter and cranked the motor with a hanger9 starter. The engine started right up but at a furious rpm. I grabbed it by the landing skids and held it straight out and removed the glow starter. It stalled. Turns out I had the throttle open all the way Thank goodness the only damage was a bent flybar. After I stopped shaking I replaced the bent flybar and inspected for damage, All looked OK. I went to my servo reverse settings on my DX7 and reversed the throttle setting. Grabbed the blade grips and tried again. Gave it a littled throttle and hit it with the starter. Started right up but at nice low rpms. The throttle was reversed when I tried it the first time. So when I had the throttle at what I thought was zero it was actually wide open. But on my second attempt after reversing the throttle, it ran for a few seconds and stalled. I played a bit with the needle valve but could not fnd the right position to keep it running. So I decided to count myself lucky and put it away.

Is there a formula for findng the right setting for the needle valve? I heard something about 2 and one half turns. What does that mean? Closing the valve and then turning it 2 and one half turns?
1996celt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow! Close call. Always have you hand on the main rotor and a foot on the landing skid when starting your helicopter. This will protect you in case of a "hot start" like you experienced. Also, do not start a nitro helicopter without the blades because you risk overspeeding the engine.

As to tuning your engine, search around here on the Freak; there are lots of threads about engine tuning. Since it seems you are new to nitro helicopters, I'd advise you to seek some experienced help even if it means driving several hours one Saturday. An experienced pilot can look over your heli to make sure everything is built and setup correctly (someone probably would have caught your throttle being reversed) and can help with engine tuning as watching someone in person is worth a hundred tuning threads online. One help sesson can save you a smashed heli and possible injury.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in