Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nitro vs Gassers ?'s

I have a buddy who wants to get a Nx4 with the gasser motor. Im a nitro guy..know next to nothing about gassers.Could someone tell me about the pros and cons of each??
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

From my limited experience ( TRex 700N with a GT15Hz for a time) Gasses are great for sport flying and training. Fantastic flight times, cheap fuel, easy to tune and the tune holds well. Gasses are a bit heavy compared to their counter parts

Nitro is reliable, powerful well proven. Fuel can be expensive and messy but if you want hard sport or 3D nitro out performs gasses every time
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

He tells me the Gaui gasser motor makes more rpm than their nitro motor?
There have been a few videos of their nx4 gasser doing 3d though.he seems set on the Gaui though.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Isn't the nx4 a 500 size heli?

Anyway I have a buddy that flies one on a nitro os32 and it is sweet. If the gaui has a strong gasser I would go for it. If it has good 3d power, assuming that's how he wants to fly, then you cannot go wrong in my opinion. . But again, very limited experience.

Had I not blown out the crankcase on my gt15hz I would still be flying my trex 700 As gasser
Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If he gets the nx4 and uses the gas engine make sure he sees the threads on break-in procedure. Also the fuel/oil mixture needs to be in the range of 10 to 1 instead of the standard 32 to 1 mix. Can find more info in the nx4 forum or the gasser forum.
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow 10 to 1, I thought the OS GT15Hz engine had a lot of oil at 25 to 1 ..
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm dead set guiwee, lol. I've researched it quite a bit. But I do have questions, what it the life expectancy of the motor if properly broke in? Which of course I already researched the breakin process and fuel to oil ratio.. How are guai servos, mini v bar, governor and spark igniter? I am curious as to what package I should get. Should I ala cart this or get the t-10 gas motor and electric combo? If I go ala cart I'm thinking of the ikon, kst servos, don't have a clue about what governor to use or what spark ignighter to use. On gaui's web site they have 2 governors listed, one for gas and one for nitro. Does this mean I have to find a gas governor for the ikon? Only flown electric but I'm not scared of anything, lol.
kane601 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So this is off of gaui's web site on the nitro vs gasser.
nitro
Practical range: 2,000- 21,000 rpm
1.38 hp @ 18,000 rpm

Gas
Practical range: 2,000- 18,000 rpm
2.11 hp @ 17,000 rpm
Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=680421

You may have already read this thread but just in case. Don't know how many flights this would be but with how miserly gas consumption is probably a lot. Probably not put-put flights either. In my nx4 (nitro version) I'm using a mini-v with the Gaui gov. If I was going to do it all over again I'd use a full size vbar just for the ease of using the gov function in the vbar versus having to hack the mini-v to allow you to use a gov. Can't comment on Gaui servos since I'm using Savox. I have 5 vbars that have been in use for almost 3 years. Only have had one issue and it was with a new silverline vbar that came with a bad sensor. It was replaced at no charge and since then have been trouble free.

My gasser is a MinAir whiplash. Totally love flying it. Get two 8 minute flights on one tank quite easily flying fast smooth big air type moves. Gas is great.
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great, thanks for the info! I am pretty sure I'll love a gasser.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gasser

youd be a lot happier with a ys56 or os55 in the nx4.
Posting in the nx4 section you'll get some better responses .
Pretty sure gassers just don't have the power to weight ratio like a nitro ,
But when you watch a good pilot fly a gasser , it looks like they have a lot of power,
There collective management is a lot better than most of the people we know that fly.

Last edited by mmracecars; 08-13-2015 at 09:53 AM..
mmracecars is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

From what I'm reading it is a .56 motor but gas. 9.18 cc so I think it will have more than enough power. I posted on the nx4 section so I'll see what current owners have to say. I've been researching gasser for at least 1 1/2 years and some engines can be modded for insane power. I go off specs as we all do with cars and trucks. Not just how it looks when a pro is at the wheel or sticks. Not trying to sound like an a$$ mike, just explaining what I researched. And that's pretty much all I can go off of.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gasser

Trust me , I did alot of research myself, that's why a ys56 ended in mine instead of the gas engine.its heavier , breaking takes forever , at 10:1, it's a black oily mess , packaging all the electronics is a pain . Even with the ys56 in it , it was just ok .just giving my opionion Jason .
Still sound like an a$$ , but we already knew that 😆

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in