Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default G770T 3D + DS3500G on the Protos?

Hi,

Does the G770T 3D + DS3500G fit the protos? Physically and performance wise?

I also saw some recommend the 8900G. Isn't it too large? Is it better for Protos and fit well?

Would these be a better choice than GY401 + 9257?

Thanks
ayash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 770+3500g combo works really well I had it on my Protos initially. You will have to modify the tail servo mounts to fit the 3500g servo.

If you plan to do any backward flight or 3D don't bother with a 401. If you fly sport or are a beginner the 401 will last you a long time.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTW - just noticed there are two (at least packages) of 770. One is 770T another is 770 3D.

Someone even asked a question but received no answer.
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t380119p1/
Is there a difference?

Also, since the price of 770 (which?) & 3500 is pretty close to 401+9257, as a beginner, is there a reason not to go with teh 770/3500?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are exactly the same gyro the only difference is the sticker on top. The T version is sold overseas. If your located in the US you will probably get the 3D version.

The 770 is a bit harder to setup. A 401 you can practically drop into anything and it will work. It's totally up to how confident you feel you can setup a gyro. I recommend the 401 for a beginner. If you have local pilots in the area ask them what they use and get that gyro so they can help you with the setup.

The 8900g will fit in a Protos, however the mini servo works fine.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just setup the 770 and 3500g on my protos last night. Haven't flown it yet as I'm still waiting on some ESC items needed but in bench testing of the gyro and it looks to be as sensitive and fast as myGY611 and Spartan DS760.
I need to go back and set the ball on the servo arm in a hole though as I have it a 11.5 mm out. I believe other have had better results at about 9mm out.

I have a DS760 and 8900G on my Atom and it balances out great with a Outrage 6S 3000. The same battery on the Protos balanced out great also with the 7703D & 3500G.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm using the Jr 770 3d on mine with the 3500g and it works well. After todays flying I just moved the servo arm from about 11.5 to 9mm and reset the pitch range pot. It flew ok at 11.5 but I had to lower the gain way way down to keep it from doing the wah wah's in funnels. Going to fly it at tomorrow to test out the 9mm setting.
Mentalic is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
The 770+3500g combo works really well I had it on my Protos initially. You will have to modify the tail servo mounts to fit the 3500g servo.
What modifications exactly are needed to put the 3500 on the Protos?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have to grind a bit of the servo mount away so the control horn and pushrod clear.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You have to grind a bit of the servo mount away so the control horn and pushrod clear.
Or just put the ball on the outside of the arm instead of inside like the drawing shows.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Even with the ball on the outside the nut on the backside will hit the mount...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh yes, you still have to trim the front mount only then. Not too bad to do.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With the ball on the outside, it seems to fit through the guide alot straighter as well. Also, the gain setting is very low with this bird, I brought it down to 13%. No high speed wag, even in full FFF. Tail still holds like a motha. This setup is tenacious. I'm at the 11.5mm setting and thinking of going to 9mm once mine is back in the air for comparision. Since you can't adjust bounceback and stop electronically, moving the ball in should soften the stop a bit. Even at 11.5mm i'm out of range on the travel pot so 9mm should make that gap bigger. Not sure exactly how that will affect it but it seems like it has plenty of travel anyway.

-Scott

Team Compass Pilot
Scott Bowersox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally settled on a setup with my 770 3d and 3500g. Running the ball on the servo arm at 8mm, gyro travel trim at max. Gain in Jr radio at 68%. This setup gave up the hard piro stops I like but really holds in fast backwards flight. No wag's in tight funnels or high speed dives.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the same combo on mine.
Ball is in the 13.5mm like the manual said and working great.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm still not completely happy with my 7703d. Seems like it used to work better than it does now, I dunno... Anyway I ran across a few few posts about the 7703d internal parts are sometimes loose in the case... Took mine apart and the works were loosely held in by two plastic plates, not good enough too me. I just siliconed it together, testing soon to follow in the Protos...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In a word, WOW! Flew my Protos this evening with the 770 3d guts glued to the case with permatex silicone. What a huge freakin difference! I can run the gain up where I could not before and it just never wags. Holds crazy solid, even piro rates are more constant.

I glued the top and bottom sections of the gyro. Top has the double layer circuit boards the bottom has the big silver sensor shell which I also glued to the case. Even glued the sides of the black plastic circuit board carriers to the case. Did not cover any of the circuit components though. This was the make it better or its getting ditched effort....Success!

Guess 8 months on a nitro heli had worked lots of play in the internal mounting system but I really think there internal mounting system is seriously flawed. Like I said before, I thought it used to work better, well it did and now its great again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in