Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Powerplant! Scorp 1880 - Burnt ESC

The other night I got annoyed at my Warp. The Turnigy motor must be way overrated. I can hear it bog even with a 14t and a Kontronik. So I did some digging and settled on the 800w monster Guai X3 Scorp motor. This thing has butter smooth cogging and looks sweet. I can now say I have 1 heli with all "high end" components. I'm really anxious to hear this thing rip! Once this drizzle dies down and my locktite dries up a bit maybe I'll shoot a vid.

Last edited by I_Bent_It; 03-29-2014 at 04:41 PM..
I_Bent_It is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: New Powerplant! Scorp 1880

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not the 2520-1360 that was designed for the Warp 360 by Scorpion and run the 16T? LOL
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

To be different and innovative.

"Hey look everyone I've got the same motor as all of you!"
Meh!

It's like buying and modifying a Honda Civic "to be different" lol

Edit: First hover, spooled up and stabilized, Lifted off and poof. Magic Smoke was released from the Kontronik! Now my apartment reaks of burnt electronics.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right, but the motor was specifically designed for the Warp 360 gearing to get optimum performance. Being different is one thing ... but for me you're kind of trying to reinvent the wheel by adding corners.

You might be putting additional stress on your components for no reason.

Sorry, did you say you spooled it up with blades on and hovered it in your apartment?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

OP, you burnt your Kontronik? What amp Kontronik are you running and what pinion/headspeed? The 1880 draws about 10A more than the 1360.
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post

Sorry, did you say you spooled it up with blades on and hovered it in your apartment?
Lets not be absurd now, I went outside in the rain! The biggest thing that gets spooled up indoors is the 250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RontaryUS View Post
OP, you burnt your Kontronik? What amp Kontronik are you running and what pinion/headspeed? The 1880 draws about 10A more than the 1360.
I think it's a Jazz or Jive, and only about 40a. 14t pinion, and I'd estimate about 3300RPM. I was annoyed by the rain and didn't want to stand there taching it. So I let it stablize at 60% throttle. Lift off, and lost power. Not concerned. I wanted to try the CC Talon 50 with the HD BEC anyway. It'll lighten up the bird a bit.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK. Phew .... I got worried there. I see you've edited your post to clarify. LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
OK. Phew .... I got worried there. I see you've edited your post to clarify. LOL

Owner - RCHeliCanada.com
I just like to try new things. If it spools so high it disintegrates so be it. I'll build another. I do this for fun. If I go to the drag strip and money shift, blow the motor and trans, Welp, it's all part of the game.

As my Snap-On Tools T-Shirt says...

"Race It, Break It, Fix It, Repeat"

Another Edit: I learned to fly without any help, on a Nano CPX and 450X. Never any FP experience prior. I have become quite accustomed to crashes. They do not bother me anymore lol
Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would go with a 60A ESC at least to be safe...
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RontaryUS View Post
I would go with a 60A ESC at least to be safe...
Taking recommendations! I haven't made the purchase yet so what do you guys suggest?

Rontary - Looking at Helidirect under Kontronik, mine does NOT look like the ones on the site. Mine has a shrink wrap case, whereas the HD ones have a hard plastic case. So I think mine is/was a Jazz.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a YGE 60LV ... or a 90LV and you can skip an external BEC ... it's a bit overkill though.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Powerplant! Scorp 1880 - Burnt ESC

+1, or the YEP branded ones
Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bent_It View Post
Lets not be absurd now, I went outside in the rain! The biggest thing that gets spooled up indoors is the 250.

I think it's a Jazz or Jive, and only about 40a. 14t pinion, and I'd estimate about 3300RPM. I was annoyed by the rain and didn't want to stand there taching it. So I let it stablize at 60% throttle. Lift off, and lost power. Not concerned. I wanted to try the CC Talon 50 with the HD BEC anyway. It'll lighten up the bird a bit.
If you were running 60% throttle, you were turning closer to 3600rpm with that setup. That motor has a max continuous current of 38amps and max peak current of 50amps. if it is a Jazz 40 amp it is rated to 50amps so it should be fine. Maybe your Timing or PWM was wrong? I know some Kontronics auto set but, I am not sure about that one as I run YGE exclusively. It shouldn't have burnt though as it is rated fine to run that motor. Could rain have gotten in the ESC or motor? Running a heli in the rain, or any electronics for that matter, is not recommended.
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mike, believe it or not, running at 60% is much harder on a speed controller than running at 100%.

It has to burn the excess energy.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

60% would be near the lowest you could run on that setup too so it would run pretty hot I am guessing.

Edit: Lol, you beat me too it Jeff I know that of course. I don't know why you referenced me as I was simply correcting his head speed calculation of 3300rpm. 60% on a Scorp 1880/14T = 3600rpm. I said nothing about heat and running low throttle on an ESC. Active freewheel greatly helps with heat at lower throttle percentages anyway but, your right, 60% is pushing it.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The 1880kv motor, even with a 14T pinion is way over-geared IMO. The 1580kv motor would be better suited to 14T gearing.

Unless your example of 60% and 3,300 RPM was just for test hovering purposes and you really plan on running 80% or higher for your regular flying routine?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob's right man. That motor just isn't suited well to the Warp. You would have to run 3950-4050rpm just to run at 75-80% which would be ideal for the ESC. That's way to fast for the Warp. It is a beast at 3200rpm
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ive already flown this helicopter with a 1700kv and 16t pinion so high headspeed has already been established as 'ok' on my bird. My 1700kv setup with 14t should theoretcially spin up to over 4k but loaded with a head and blades I could never get it to tach higher than 3500ish at 100% throttle w fresh pulse packs

Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bent_It View Post
Ive already flown this helicopter with a 1700kv and 16t pinion so high headspeed has already been established as 'ok' on my bird. My 1700kv setup with 14t should theoretcially spin up to over 4k but loaded with a head and blades I could never get it to tach higher than 3500ish at 100% throttle w fresh pulse packs

I think either your motor was wound wrong or your tachometer is broken man. A 1700kv motor with the 16tooth should spin at close to 4600rpm at 100%, at least 4300rpm

Even the Scorpion 1360kv should turn close to 3500rpm on a 16 tooth at 100%

Something isn't right dude?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in