Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 300x, 450x, 500x.

I've ben flying the 300x for a while now. Getting pretty good at it so far as I'm now starting to do funnels with it.
My Dad also has the 450x and 500x. I know that the 500x is much bigger than the 300x, but the 450x ain't that much so than the 300x. So, what's the difference?
I want to bind my DX7 with his 450x and 500x and work my way up to larger helicopters.
I still have my old Kyosho 700 I built years ago, but I'm afraid of that big thing as it needs lots of space to fly with my style.

So as I've graduated from micro's to the 130x and now the 300x. Will the 450x be much different? We also have numerous other 450 sized helicopters including Walkera models and Trex's. But I'm partial to Blade hell's. I haven't done any settings adjustment, just bind and fly with whatever settings Blade made for the 300x and will do so for the others.

Any advice? All I know is bigger they are, farther away from me I want to fly them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me the 300X to 450X is a small difference. But the 500X is where things change quite a bit. This is were the "big heli feel" all starts IMHO.

My RC facebook and Youtube Page (please subscribe to get latest news and video):
http://www.youtube.com/zoomtt
http://www.facebook.com/zoomtt
edsel.labao is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think a lot depends on the space you have to fly in and your budget. If you're flying in public parks, soccer fields etc, you probably want to stay smaller than a 450. If you fly at a large field that doesn't have joggers, dogs or other things that could be hurt, depends on what you're comfortable flying and can afford to crash and field charge.
TheQuixote is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Wensday mornings is where we fly at a soccer field with our club. That is where I fly my
Micros and 300's. Our back yard us actually quite large for 700's even. But the ground is much harder with dirt, rocks, and shrubbery. I say we have over ten acres of open space to fly at home.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsel.labao View Post
For me the 300X to 450X is a small difference. But the 500X is where things change quite a bit. This is were the "big heli feel" all starts IMHO.
This is right on!! Small difference from the 300X to 450X. The 450 is a little more stable, little more presence in the air. The 500X is all big heli. Flies like its on rails, much more smooth, quiet and vibe free.

I would double check the settings for your transmitter. The 450 has the beast x up top, where the 300 and 500 are underneath. Dont know without looking if you need to reverse anything.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first CP heli was a 450 3D, and I never got a 300X because the size difference was too small. But like the others said, the difference between the 450 and 500 was night and day.

Since you have access to both a 450 and 500, I say try them both. You will need to do a complete setup in your TX first of course. Get a feel for the 450 (which probably won't take very long), and then break out the 500. I'm warning you though. It may ruin smaller helis for you!
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As much as I still like micro's, I just don't fly them anymore. Boring indoors, and often too windy outside. The 300x is perfect for me right now, so 450 will be next step up. Reason for 450x, is I have a gorgeous Align black/white Airwolf fuselage that I want to fly, but don't know which mechanics I should put it in, but I guess that's for another thread discussion.
I can't imagine 500 being much bigger than 450, number wise it don't sound much bigger.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
I can't imagine 500 being much bigger than 450, number wise it don't sound much bigger.
That's how I thought when I started looking into getting something bigger than my 450. I was dead set on skipping the 500 size, because "numbers wise, it just wasn't that big of a jump." Then I saw one at my LHS field, and was blown away by how much more presence it had than a 450. Yeah, each blade is only 100mm longer, which is only like 4", but that's almost a third again as long. And a third again as wide, and a third again as tall. In 3D space, all those thirds equate to a heli that is more than twice as big. It may sound like I'm just working the numbers to make my point, but when you can look at it in person, you will understand.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you decide a 425mm 500 is not big enough of a jump the true 500mm class helis are really cool.
MotorG525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you even find a new 500X any more? That heli has been discontinued for quite a while, now.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

As an owner of both a 300x and 450x I enjoy both. Due to flying space constraints during the summer it is nice having the 300x as it needs less room to stretch its legs. If space wasn't an issue I would skip the 450x and go full 500-570 though the 450x is great with the right electronics and you sound pretty set on it for your scale fuselage. Whatever you choose I think you will really be glad you went bigger. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
Can you even find a new 500X any more? That heli has been discontinued for quite a while, now.
One left.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As stated, we have all three helicopters. Just wondering if I'll notice a difference when I go from 300 to 450 and up to 500.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes and YES.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
As stated, we have all three helicopters. Just wondering if I'll notice a difference when I go from 300 to 450 and up to 500.
Well, that all depends on what you actually mean by noticing a difference.

If you place them at the proper distances, you can get similar perspectives and have them appear to be similarly sized. lol

The 300x uses 245mm main blades. The 450x has 325mm main blades. The 500x has 430mm blades. If you line them up it's exponentially a step up each time.

If you line them all up, they progressively look larger. The larger you go, the less head speed you'll have. The larger you go the more floaty inertia you'll have. The larger you go you'll want more room. Although the 300x is smaller than the 450x, you generally need about the same amount of room to fly. The 500x needs even more room because it's far more visible and you'll want to fly it out farther.

They also all look different with their color schemes. So they won't look the same either. lol

As you go smaller with higher head speeds, you'll get more twitchy.

As you go larger, the more scary and dangerous the main blades become to human flesh. Also as you go larger, you'll greatly increase the chance of property damage that it can cause.

So yeah, there are quite a bit of differences that one can notice.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in