Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

snj,

I read it before you deleted it. No harm no foul. Can't get too excited we are just big kids playing with our toys and that is all good. Peace.

Jim
jauguston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with snjbird. I think stabilization creating a bad habit. You have to let go the stick when you're in trouble. After a while, you get used to it.

Unless you use it like Punkin71 say, use it when you learn new move. But it still hard to do it, I think. I wouldn't react faster than the heli crashing.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well like it are not stabilization system are here to stay and becoming very popular.
A lot of young guys get into this hobby without realizing how difficult and expencive it is. A lot of older guys get into it as a retirement hobby, including me without realizing that there reactions are simply not fast enough.
Stabilization systems have change that, they greatly reduce crashes and greatly assist hover. A lot of guys would have simply given up if it were not for these systems. Others are afraid to fly because of the cost of repairs, on the bigger helis even a minor crash can cost $100.
Like most things in life some find it easy some hard and some impossible, for me it was impossible. I took up this hobby at the age of 62 and spent a year trying to hover and every attempt ended in a crash, Helicommand was my last resort and the results emmediate, I now have 7 heli, mostly scale and they are all fitted with Helicommand or Flymentor's.
Flying heli does not have to be as hard ( for some ) as it is and for those of you that do not know how these systems work they do not fly the heli for you some practice is still required.
Those that thought it would fly the heli for them have leaned the hard way that it will not. You can reduce the amount of assistance they give but even if on full as soon as you move the stick the asstistance is reduced and at half stick they are switched off.
Yes it is true to say that some guys that fit them will never learn to fly without them, does that matter, they are here to stay and the important thing is that you are enjoying the hobby.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

just to get back on topic, nice flying mate, and glad you picked up the chocolate after. and fairplay fro flying when i couldnt even feel my fingers, let alone tell them what to do
nice,whatdoesitdo? is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ivor, hats off to you for your persistance ! Your own conscious decision based on your experiences makes perfect sense. It was very different than experts recommending beginners to start with one of these though.
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRÔTOS Max v2 PRÔTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couldn't have said it better myself Ivor.

Jim
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats but the fear will always creep back to remind you (with close calls and crashes). Agree with snjbird on the stabilization systems here, and would simply be a bandaid to cover the fear. Better to confront it head on and tackle it like the OP did.
seanmil666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice,whatdoesitdo? View Post
just to get back on topic, nice flying mate, and glad you picked up the chocolate after. and fairplay fro flying when i couldnt even feel my fingers, let alone tell them what to do
Thanks mate....those words mean a lot. You and I have flown together for years, long may it continue...we're both progressing well, let's keep it up. I can feel a chaos attempt coming on lol :-)
To the rest of you, just enjoy the hobby....progress isn't a bad thing in any respect, if you fly without a FM or HeliCommand, respect is due (nice,whatdoesitdo; we know how hard THAT is...!) and to those that use them, just enjoy the hobby, just because you go home with your helis intact every time doesn't make you any less of a modeller, or make flying helis any less of a challenge (you still have to build them and set them up) ENJOY!
For me, I just enjoy flying with my mate, we chat, we fly, we have a laugh...we crash, we rebuild, we enjoy it for what it is....
Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

exactly mate, i still remember my first heli. the one that really didnt wana fly. at all. but still a good crack. no matter how or what your fly, as long as you enjoy it, all that matters.
nice,whatdoesitdo? is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rossi View Post
Thanks mate....those words mean a lot. You and I have flown together for years, long may it continue...we're both progressing well, let's keep it up. I can feel a chaos attempt coming on lol :-)
To the rest of you, just enjoy the hobby....progress isn't a bad thing in any respect, if you fly without a FM or HeliCommand, respect is due (nice,whatdoesitdo; we know how hard THAT is...!) and to those that use them, just enjoy the hobby, just because you go home with your helis intact every time doesn't make you any less of a modeller, or make flying helis any less of a challenge (you still have to build them and set them up) ENJOY!
For me, I just enjoy flying with my mate, we chat, we fly, we have a laugh...we crash, we rebuild, we enjoy it for what it is....
We dont come home with the heli intact every time,just more often.These systems are not that good yet.
I recently smashed 2 helis in less than 5 minutes, one a jetranger I spent a lot of time building.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really did not want to reply, but here it goes oil to the fire, sorry guys...
You keep leaning on that crutch and the crutch keeps breaking, guess what happens to you all the time? The solution is not to get a better crouch but to learn to walk.
Ivor, nothing personal, I understand you had a reason, but this is a great example why "in general" this is not the best way to learn.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy. View Post
I really did not want to reply, but here it goes oil to the fire, sorry guys...
You keep leaning on that crutch and the crutch keeps breaking, guess what happens to you all the time? The solution is not to get a better crouch but to learn to walk.
Ivor, nothing personal, I understand you had a reason, but this is a great example why "in general" this is not the best way to learn.
Not quite sure what you mean by the crutch keeps breaking. If you are refering to my crashes my so called crutch did not fail, I did. Are you saying that if you learn to fly without the crutch you wont have crashes.
As I said they do not fly the heli for you, if you are high enough and you get into trouble if you centre the stick to heli will upright. If you are not high enough you crash.
They do help a lot in a hover and help a lot in learning nose and side in. But in flight they only level the heli and it will continue to fly in the direction it it pointing.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

No I meant if you learn to fly without those, you'll never need one. I have a feeling we beat this topic to death... At the end we all fly the way we prefer, so I respect your choice.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tomy,

The part you and some others here seem to ignore is that there is a lot of folks for one reason or another get so frustrated with crashing all the time of not being able to get past tail in hover (Me) that they quit. For those of us in that situation the FM and other devices is a salvation that allows us to start having fun with our helis.

Some of you say if you learn to fly with one you will always need it. The answer that you all don't get is "SO WHAT". We are having fun and what the heck is wrong with that.

Jim
Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jim, I never diasgreed with the part that you decide for yourself what you want to fly after experiences, if you do your homework and realize that you might get "addicted" to it. I'm heavily agains these if 1) you have no idea what you are getting yourself into and how hard it will be to leave it behind and 2) an instructor bringing this up to a student as an option from the get-go. SNJ said the same thing and you smacked him

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
Sorry to disagree, but telling someone that getting a Flight stabilization will help them learn is wrong. If they don't want to learn, then so be it, get one.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tomy,

The word "instructor" seems to come up a lot in the flight stabilization is bad camp. I would bet that 80% or more of the owners of our helis have never seen a instructor (me) and wouldn't have access to one if he wanted to find one. One of the BIG reasons to try helis rather than fixed wing RC is the freedom to not have to be involved with a organized RC flying field. I was involved with a organized flying field for many years and really had no choice flying fixed wing. I don't go near that place any more. Too much politics and costs. I can have fun with my helis in my back yard or a empty school play field and there are sure not any instructors there. Just the school of hard knocks (crashes). I am fully insured for my RC flying and don't need or want and orginazation. There is no heli instructors in this area even if someone was interested in using one.

Its kind of like the Quicksilver ultralight I fly. I keep it in a converted barn made into a hangar and have 800' of runway in the hay field. I don't need no stinkin airport, no FAA and no hangar rent (-:

Jim
Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Flymentor= No Fear (-:

Jim
The point that others are trying to make is that you are giving advice (acting as an instructor) to a potential beginner with the above type of remarks. And they are disagreeing with it.
"Crutches" such as these are appropriate to use when pilots gets frustrated and need help.
But why would it be recommended to the OP of this thread who seems to getting along quit good without it.
seanmil666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sean thanks for translating my poor English to real English!
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeez, never thought that a simple report of my day could cause so much debate amongst you.
To those of you who enjoy flying, keep doing it, IT'S A HOBBY....to be enjoyed by all....(I think that's still what it's about, correct me if I'm wrong)
I love speaking to my fellow pilots on HF, (the best forum I've used, period) so just enjoy where you're at, and what you do.
Give advice if you are in the know(Finless/Socal/Moderators/Sponsors- we salute you) if you're not, listen and learn, and don't be afraid to offer ideas.
Don't get so stressed about it.....I bet when your out and you see a heli hovering, you smile.... I bet you $10/£7.50/
Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

u get chance to fly new motor today?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in