Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flybar reinforcement take 1!

I've noticed, like many, that the better I've gotten the harder I crash. I went through two in one day, one was old and worn so... Anyway I was looking around for something to fill the channel on the underside of the flybar. I had an extra flybar from my now obsolete MCX and it fit beautifully. I cut to the same length and CA'd in place, followed by a cover coating of CA. Initial flight went smoothly with no difference in flight characteristics. Will update as it gets more flights (read: abuse).
Mojappa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

some have reinforced the fly-bar with a piece of paperclip in the channel on the underside and used a bit of epoxy to secure it. I have not tried this but I have heard this works.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
I've noticed, like many, that the better I've gotten the harder I crash. I went through two in one day, one was old and worn so... Anyway I was looking around for something to fill the channel on the underside of the flybar. I had an extra flybar from my now obsolete MCX and it fit beautifully. I cut to the same length and CA'd in place, followed by a cover coating of CA. Initial flight went smoothly with no difference in flight characteristics. Will update as it gets more flights (read: abuse).
Nice, this is a discussion worth having. I wish I had seen this sooner. Any pics please?
Number1BSArtist is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll do whai i can. Might be able to tomorrow. Pretty simple though, just cut to fit from the inner ring to the point where the channel starts to ramp up near the paddle. I used a toothpick to put glue in the channel and then quickly put the rod in place. Waited a few minutes and then used the toothpick to put another layer on top (bottom). went through 3 more packs since this morning and it still shows no cracking or stress. I'm about to do three more soon, in the strobe light so it will probably crash a lot.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have thought about filling that little channel under the flybar with CA and micro balloons. I bet that would add a lot of strength with very little weight.

I think I have some micro balloons around here somewhere. If I can find them, I might try it...
ct420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, something went wrong. Mabey the high speed high throttle collision with the stand holding the strobe light. Snapped one end off cleanly at the center hub. Might have been too strong since it snapped right at the end of the carbon rod. Granted this impact would have broken it unmodified just at the spot right where the bracing arch ends. Might try again if i can get the rod by itself.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keeping an eye on this thread.

One thing I might try when I get home, is putting epoxy along the groove instead of something solid.

Would have to make sure I get the right amount on each side to balance it out, but that's easy and you can balance the flybar between two books by the senter ball links.
QueadlunnRau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

MicroHeli is about to release a CNC flybar.. That might just be a worth while upgrade as even if you do not break the fly bar, the hole in the middle wears into an oval shape pretty quick and introduces TBE, wobbles, and makes the self stabilizing head effect more pronounced in FF.
Gadflyii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, i have no pictures, but here is the gig.

BROOM yes, a broom. you need a broom to complete this mod.

not just any broom. a special broom.

a synthetic broom. i have a libman.

now cut off 1 single piece of the fiber thinggies @ the bottom. Note how it will fit perfectly in the grove on the underside of the MSR flybar.

good work genius.

Now cut that there lil piece of plastic broom end to fit the groves on each side of the hole in the flybar.

i use hot stuff instant CA. dabble dabble along the grove, slide the plasitc piece of broom end and.....

you have a much more durable (and slightly stiffer {thats what she said}) flybar.

and you also have a way to fix flybars when they break now too.

so go drink beer in all your glory, and worry about the 5in1
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've never broken a flybar, but I have worn out the holes in several.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never broke anything for a while until I started seeing what I get into and out of with it, and when my roommate put a bunch of cardboard jumps all over for his and his boy's losi micro dt's. Too many obsticles. In 5 months I've only broke 2 flybars (including this one) and 1 set of grips. When I got it all the reviews about grips and tails had me scared but I was suprised with how many times I cringed on the sound of it slamming the walls only to pick it right back and launch her again.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reinforcing the flybar could actually make it break more easily. Without reinforcement, it flexes more. It behaves like a soft spring, and the force applied at the end of the flybar is distributed along the entire length as "bend". When you reinforce the channel, you make the spring much stiffer and the "bend" gets concentrated on the joint where the flybar meets the center hub (and you also make the flybar heavier, which adds energy of it's own), which could cause it to snap more readily.
RocketSled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in