Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450L radio help

First of all i am not sure if i am in the correct forum. If i am not, i appologize.

I gpt myself a new trex 450l dominator 6s with 3gx for xmas. Opened manual and am shocked to find out that it requires a 7 channel receiver and 6 channel or higher transmittor. I have several other helicopters trex 250, blade sr, blade 120sr, blade mqx) and use a dx6i for them. I thought this setup would be no different.

So here are the questions:

1)Please let me know if a dx6i and AR610 receiver are going to properly cut it?
If it will, why does the manual say 7 channels? If not, why not?

2)If not I was looking at buying a dx9 transmitter, ( but only if I have to). Also the combo I'm looking at comes with an ar8000 as a bonus. Would this be a good choice for receiver?

3) any other major recommendations for building this kit properly?

Thanks
digital911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm somewhat new (1 year in the hobby err lifestyle) but I built a 450l and have 250+ flights on mine.

I don't know if the dx6i will work or not, but I have a dx9 with this 450l & it works great for me. I'm sure you don't want to upgrade your transmitter but I was glad I did. (I went from A dx6i as well). The 3gx plays nice with JR/Spektrum. All you need is a sat plugged into the 3gx and your good to go. I really like the dx9, I really like the voice, the backlight, fully customizable switches, warnings, rechargeable batt, low power consumption, etc, etc.

Couple of things I noticed about my build - I had a lot of vibes in the Heli & everything was balanced, it seemed to help a lot when I put a extra torqe tube bearing & rubber spacer about 1" in from the tail assembly - I did CA it to the Torque tube ( you will have to purchase a spare Tourque tube to do this)

I had to use a ton of Sub Trim 70+ To level my servo horns - After a crash I pulled all the servos apart & aligned the gears to fix this, I was able to get it extremely close now - Servos were all under 10 points of sub trim

Buy some extra DFC Ball Links, Some extras come with The Kit, but it took me a few to get the hang of drilling them in (A cordless drill works wonders)

I would get the Align Hardware Set, Yes it's 30.00 bucks, but you are going to need it for main shaft bolts after your first crash (you will bend one& and shaft kit only comes with one & two main shafts. - every type of hardware you need from 250-500 sized helis is in this kit, it was worth it to me.

Get some extra front torque tube gears, the strip out super easy (especially when it's cold)

Don't bother using ball link pliers to remove the links from your dfc swash, they won't work, just carefully pry them off using pliers ( I scratched my swash a ton trying to get them off). I do use mine to press the links on tho - Just be careful.

That's all I have for now.

Have Fun!
Damn_encode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_encode View Post
I'm somewhat new (1 year in the hobby err lifestyle) but I built a 450l and have 250+ flights on mine.

I don't know if the dx6i will work or not, but I have a dx9 with this 450l & it works great for me. I'm sure you don't want to upgrade your transmitter but I was glad I did. (I went from A dx6i as well). The 3gx plays nice with JR/Spektrum. All you need is a sat plugged into the 3gx and your good to go. I really like the dx9, I really like the voice, the backlight, fully customizable switches, warnings, rechargeable batt, low power consumption, etc, etc.

Couple of things I noticed about my build - I had a lot of vibes in the Heli & everything was balanced, it seemed to help a lot when I put a extra torqe tube bearing & rubber spacer about 1" in from the tail assembly - I did CA it to the Torque tube ( you will have to purchase a spare Tourque tube to do this)

I had to use a ton of Sub Trim 70+ To level my servo horns - After a crash I pulled all the servos apart & aligned the gears to fix this, I was able to get it extremely close now - Servos were all under 10 points of sub trim

Buy some extra DFC Ball Links, Some extras come with The Kit, but it took me a few to get the hang of drilling them in (A cordless drill works wonders)

I would get the Align Hardware Set, Yes it's 30.00 bucks, but you are going to need it for main shaft bolts after your first crash (you will bend one& and shaft kit only comes with one & two main shafts. - every type of hardware you need from 250-500 sized helis is in this kit, it was worth it to me.

Get some extra front torque tube gears, the strip out super easy (especially when it's cold)

Don't bother using ball link pliers to remove the links from your dfc swash, they won't work, just carefully pry them off using pliers ( I scratched my swash a ton trying to get them off). I do use mine to press the links on tho - Just be careful.

That's all I have for now.

Have Fun!
Thanks for the info. So are you saying I don't need a traditional receiver at all? Just a satellite receiver? Care to share which model you have?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
The 3gx uses channel 7 as the gyro gain if you go with the satellites. You must use the receiver with the dx6 cause you don't have ch7.
The traditional receiver will use chan 5 for tail gyro gain. Tho you need one channel extra to power up your receiver. May be you have a batt in your receiver? I don't know about dx receivers much. You can post a photo of the receivers connections then I can tell for sure.
Either way consider to get a better radio.
Good luck.
ShlomiB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomiB View Post
Hi,
The 3gx uses channel 7 as the gyro gain if you go with the satellites. You must use the receiver with the dx6 cause you don't have ch7.
The traditional receiver will use chan 5 for tail gyro gain. Tho you need one channel extra to power up your receiver. May be you have a batt in your receiver? I don't know about dx receivers much. You can post a photo of the receivers connections then I can tell for sure.
Either way consider to get a better radio.
Good luck.
Thanks for the response.

I am likely going to get a dx9 , however, I need to know which receiver and or satellite to get with it so it's properly setup in this heli. Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

With dx9 you'll have no problem connecting any dsmx, dsm2 sats.
About your receiver, if you have only 6 connections, you can add power to one of the servo leads going into the receiver. It's not so complicated. Just check about servo connectors, what each wire does. Then just take power from the batt/gov in the 3gx to any servo lead connected to the receiver.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure, I am running a dx9 transmitter & one spektrum sat mounted on the upper platform (the 3gx is mounted upsidedown under the heli)

Purchased the 9" sat lead (I think) mine came with an 18" which was way to long

I used some small diameter fuel tubing cut to length & installed over the antenna wires for protection & good looks. Then stacked 2-3layers of black double sided tape to get the necessary height for the antennas of the sat to clear the sides of the frame as it tapers down in this area. Looks super clean & has great crash protection.

I have this heli set up with telemetry and have yet to have any fades or hits to the sat. (The sat will be completely covered by the canopy in flight)

Don't forget to sand those frame edges! I did & had to tear apart all my progress after I noticed I was cutting my wires. Hahaha
Old 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sure, I am running a dx9 transmitter & one spektrum sat mounted on the upper platform (the 3gx is mounted upsidedown under the heli)

I used some small diameter fuel tubing cut to length & installed over the antenna wires for protection & good looks. Then stacked 2-3layers of black double sided tape to get the necessary height for the antennas of the sat to clear the sides of the frame as it tapers down in this area. Looks super clean & has great crash protection.

I have this heli set up with telemetry and have yet to have any fades or hits to the sat. (The sat will be completely covered by the canopy in flight)

Don't forget to sand those frame edges! I did & had to tear apart all my progress after I noticed I was cutting my wires. Hahaha
Is there a particular model to the sat? Is it this one:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM9645

And correct me if I'm wrong. I cannot run just this sat with 3gx and a dx6i correct?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there again. This sat is good for any dx transmitter using dsmx proto. Your problem is that with sats on 3gx listens the gain for the tail on channel 7. Since dx6 has 6 channels you can't use only sats. You must use traditional receiver. With dx7 and above there is no problem cause you send the gyro gain on chan 7 (aux2 or whatever).
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi there again. This sat is good for any dx transmitter using dsmx proto. Your problem is that with sats on 3gx listens the gain for the tail on channel 7. Since dx6 has 6 channels you can't use only sats. You must use traditional receiver. With dx7 and above there is no problem cause you send the gyro gain on chan 7 (aux2 or whatever).
Good luck.
Understood. And the disadvantage of using a traditional 6 channel receiver (as opposed to a satellite receiver) is simply the wiring is not as neat?

What I don't understand is why does the manual say it needs a 6 channel (or more) transmitter and a 7 channel receiver? How can a 6 channel transmitter control a 7 channel receiver? I thought that was not possible.

The manual actually says 6 channel (or more) transmitter AND a 7 channel receiver OR 6 channel (or more) transmitter and a remote (satellite) receiver.

Link to PDF manual here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=201d4...802EE22A%21960
Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, as I've told ya before the extra 7 channel in the receiver is not used by the 3gx. It only needed to deliver power from the 3gx to the receiver. If you have 6 chan receiver with extra (batt) port you are good to go. If you have in your receiver exactly 6 ports then you can deliver power but some DIY is needed.
Another thing. as long a transmitter can bind to a receiver they can speak. Number of channels in both can be different ie. You can bind 3chan transmitter to 14 chan receiver and versa...
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well, as I've told ya before the extra 7 channel in the receiver is not used by the 3gx. It only needed to deliver power from the 3gx to the receiver. If you have 6 chan receiver with extra (batt) port you are good to go. If you have in your receiver exactly 6 ports then you can deliver power but some DIY is needed.
Another thing. as long a transmitter can bind to a receiver they can speak. Number of channels in both can be different ie. You can bind 3chan transmitter to 14 chan receiver and versa...
OK so if I purchase a 7 channel receiver, and use my dx6i transmitter, I'm good to go? No satellite needed right?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Would you mind posting pictures of your receiver, 3gx setup?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow that's a lot of flights, what have you had to change so far (not including crashes here). Just wondering about wear and tear maintenance?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital911 View Post
OK so if I purchase a 7 channel receiver, and use my dx6i transmitter, I'm good to go? No satellite needed right?
That's correct. But Ive just checked your receiver (AR610) and you can use the DATA/BIND port to power it from the 3GX. use the white,red,black wire from there to the bat in the 3GX.

Use it as follows:
purple -> throttle,
red -> ail,
orange -> elev,
green -> rudder,
blue -> gear,
yellow -> aux1
3gx power out (white,red,black) -> bind/dat.

Bind the receiver with the transmitter first of course.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's correct. But Ive just checked your receiver (AR610) and you can use the DATA/BIND port to power it from the 3GX. use the white,red,black wire from there to the bat in the 3GX.

Use it as follows:
purple -> throttle,
red -> ail,
orange -> elev,
green -> rudder,
blue -> gear,
yellow -> aux1
3gx power out (white,red,black) -> bind/dat.

Bind the receiver with the transmitter first of course.

Good luck
Really, that's interesting to say the least...

Thank You for sharing that.

Now, what am I going to gain by dumping the dx6i and ar610 and going to a dx9 + remote receiver? I read on another forum that with a dx6i and 6 channel receiver, that I would NOT be able to dial in the tail?

I only want to get dx9 if I have to, it's going to cost me 400 dollars.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

With dx9 you get a better quality, and a9chan transmitter. About the tail, that's what I've told you above.
Yet if you plan gong nitro, you must have 7+ chan radio.
it's also cool, clean setup wiring only sats.
Cheers.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a DX9, but I do have a DX18 that is very similar. The better radios allow a lot more customization for each model you have. One example. I have mine set to require the throttle down, the hold switch engaged and Mode 1 selected before the radio will allow me to control my heli.
patroller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital911 View Post
Would you mind posting pictures of your receiver, 3gx setup?
I didnt really get a shot of the 3gx, but its mounted in the upside down position, No receiver, just a single satellite.

My .02 is to just get the DX9. You will love it, Its very much worth the money, the telemetry leaves something to be desired, but for $400 its a very capable radio. The dx6i isn't in the same league. You bought a decent heli, so now get a radio that you won't have to fight. (I have a dxi6 & I hated it) Your choice, but I would pull the pin.

As far as maintenance goes, Nothing really but DFC dampners, I give my grips a tug every couple of flights to see if the dampers need to be replaced. But I tend to crash about every 100-130 flights so the normal stuff get replaced then.

I still haven't completely figured out how to get all the vibes out of the heli at low RPMs, but screw it, Go Into Idle Up 3 and fly.

Its a solid machine, somewhat limited in stock 3s form but it is still capable of flying better then I can pilot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_6104088.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	561327   Click image for larger version

Name:	_6104109.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	561328  
Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was in the same situation. Owned a DX6i and had a brand new 450L. This is what I did:

* I kept the DX6i
* I bought a AR6010 receiver (because I had no receiver and wanted a full receiver but it is not really necessary for a 450)
* Because of the carbon frame I also bought a satellite which I connected to the new receiver like explained before in this thread by ShlomiB

Works fine since April 2014, no crash since then (knock on wood).

I also changed my old Blade 450-3D to flybarless with a used 3GX I got for a very decent price. There I used the stock six channel receiver that came with it. No sat here but also no carbon frame.

In both cases the combination of 3GX, separate six channel receiver and a DX6i works fine. and btw.: "I don't have to fight the transmitter to get this working". :-)

see these threads for my questions I had doing the above and the help I got here on HF.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=654602
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=611118

The DX6i for me has one big advantage: I know exactly what it does and how to set it up. But certainly I'll buy a new and better transmitter later on especially for telemtry. That's also not really needed, but it would be nice to be warned by the transmitter when the battery in the heli gets into problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in