Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Converting to flybarless with a standard cnc head.

I have the cnc-head flybarred and was wondering if it is possible to just remove the flybar and flybar-cage and then go flybarless with a flybarless controller - can it be done?

I know it wont be a low-rider. Gaui has a flybarless head but i cant afford it. Mixing different parts as some of you have done is and option but it seems too be a great deal of work.

regards
Align Trex 450L DFC Head, 3GX
Sweetfrost is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. Just remove the fly bar components and it works fine. Been flying mine with a ikon for years.
weav01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2015, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm rebuilding now and flybarless it is. To begin with its going to be a 3GX. Aiming for a iKon later on.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

One question tho ... what do i do on the bladegrips. How do i connect the swash-pushrods to the blade-grips?

Did you use a different bladegrip arm or did you mount the ball-link directly on the grips? And if so which ball-links did you use?

regards
Old 04-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

..hey wait a minute ... did you only remove the flybar and paddels but left the flybar cage?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428841219.683936.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	579847
I bought this used and the seller asked which configuration I wanted and he made the changes.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the plastic head there are two items you need. Maybe it's similar for the CNC parts, since they basically are the same dimensions I expect.

The blade grip ball extensions - I can't find a link to them. They are like 1" long and screw into the grips to add some leverage for the grips I guess.

Also this:

http://www.heliflightcenter.com/2047...m_p/204707.htm
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfrost View Post
I have the cnc-head flybarred and was wondering if it is possible to just remove the flybar and flybar-cage and then go flybarless with a flybarless controller - can it be done?

I know it wont be a low-rider. Gaui has a flybarless head but i cant afford it. Mixing different parts as some of you have done is and option but it seems too be a great deal of work.

regards
You need the longer Balls for the rotor grip arms, something to lock the swash to the main shaft (Gaui did one, or you could use the Trex 500 one, or even bodge the standard one), and from memory the swash to main grip links may be different as well
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. I got some longer balls on the way and i thing i can use the "swahs-follower" i already have. I swapped a ESC (Wasabi 85A) to a 3GX and that will do for now - i might get an iKON later on.

cheers
Old 04-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow. I thought it would be an easier swap. My seller hooked me up. At least it can be done
Old 04-16-2015, 12:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by weav01 View Post
Wow. I thought it would be an easier swap. My seller hooked me up. At least it can be done
well it isn´t that hard to do, look here too: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=580504
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebodener View Post
well it isn´t that hard to do, look here too: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=580504
Yeah, much more work to do with most helis
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 2 original Gaui parts on the way. The set with longer balls and longer pushrods and the swash follower as you have suggested - great.

Funny that the original FES head has the holes for the flybar - no difference on that and the upgrade flybar-head i got some years ago.

I have not yet ordered a CNC bell-crank for the elevator-arm between the frames. A tiny screw in plastic is bound to get loose over time and when first tightened a few times its an accident waiting to happen. Speculating on putting 2 longer bolts in it instead - one from each side with lock-nuts inside but this i have to think about a little more. Right now i have epoxied the little screw in the plastic elevator arm.

Other than that is has really bin a good heli for some years now and a joy to fly - so i really look forward fly it flybarless and hear and feel difference if any.

I had a fine Fusuno canopy that got damaged - that was my second from Fusuno but i'm never going to order from them again - even tho they are very nice - they are also way too expensive. One thing is the price you pay when you order on the web-shop - fair enough. But Fusuno give the great service to ship directly from Vietnam (or what ever) - to me the customer to save some time. And for that i get the exquisite pleasure to pay for import from a non EU-country and the 25% VAT we have here - nice !

Pictures are coming later when the rebuild is near finished.

Last edited by Sweetfrost; 04-21-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Old 05-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is some pictures of the newly conversion to flybarless. Did the final lock-tite and wireing stuff today. It was easy .. in fact the hardest was to find the parts. My canopy survived the crash .. So now i have to wait and wait for better weather. If its not raining its storming - wasn't it supposed to be spring now? its almost like fall here. Quite unusual. I got a 3GX and all the setup went well .. but lets wait and see the testflight first.

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

very clean built ...
good luck for better weather and for maiden flight
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

So after a period with bad weather and a lot of time spent working I've had the chance to get some airtime with the Hurry.

So first flight after updating the 3GX to 4.0 was no success. Then updating to v. 5.0 and a lot of tweaking but could not get rid the tail and head wobble.
Then back to v. 3.1 and tail was solid as it can be on the 3GX just by dialing the gain down on my DX8. Had several flights on the beach today and all is wonderful. After 5 mins. of mild sports-flying (with loops and rolls) i had 40% left on a 3000 mah 6S Turnigy pack. And both motor and pack was cooler than when i flew with flybar. Guess the amp draw is less when there is less drag from the missing paddles and all.

Well, i'm very content with the head update - simpler to set up - looks better and longer flight time. Need a new set of main blades and a pair Align 550 blades is what i'm gonna try. I have flown SAB symmetrical blades and they have bin mostly good, but that last pair was very out of balance - it was a hard work to get them even.

I think the 3GX works ok but its lightyears from lets say the iKON which i have on my 600. Even the first wizard-setup on the iKON is so much better than the 3GX that needs a lot more tweaking time to behave semi-similar the iKON.

Sorry - no pics or vid this time. Maybe tomorrow - i'm gonna be at the flying field from 9 am to .. flying my butt off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in