Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 30 size Airwolf Rebuild.

Hello Gents I'm Ron.
For those that don't know me I have been flying about 3 years
Worked my way up via MCX2,, CX2, 120SR, MCPX, B-450, and began flying 30 size Nitro Hirobo Shuttle this flying season.

As I'd like to fly something a little nicer next season, I picked this 30 size Airwolf up about 3 months ago relatively cheep.

It's some pretty on the outside, but on closer inspection it has had a hard life and needs a complete overhaul so that's what it's getting.

Over the past few weeks I have carefully dissembled the helicopter.
Removed the Raptor 30 that was installed and junked it as there was just to many little things wrong and I have a Brand new 30 size Hirobo Shuttle to Replace the Raptor.

The helicopter as it is today.

Everything is now out and I can start grinding out the old mounting points before I begin
reassembly ,Will be installing this Hirobo Shuttle in the Airwolf body.
I have installed the OS.37 and a nice new radio system in the shuttle and test flown it.
Compared to my other shuttle with an OS.32 it's got lots of power and should carry the
Airwolf body.

Just re designed the retract drive system as there is a gear servo where the muffler has to be. So I removed, disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the retracts.
They cleaned up nice and work smoothly now that they have a little silicone lubricant.
No more binding and the locks are positive. Always wondered how they did it, the guy that came up with this was a smarty pants, it's pretty slick how they work.

Although you cannot see it now. Someone had painted the interior of the helicopter with a black spray can.
Including all the servos, Wires and gear linkages. Both of the retract main gear bell cranks are glued to the inner bushings with paint so the whole unit pivots on the screw rather than the inner bushing. Also the push rods going into the retracts both have paint on them causing binding in the retract itself. All 3 retracts where bone dry no lubricant.

And I was wondering why the servos where having so much trouble putting the wheels up and down.
All of the servos, Push rods, bell cranks and wiring are now being replaced with nice shinny new parts.

This is a snap of the last retract assembly just before I lubricated it with 50,000 weight silicone.
All 3 retracts are assembled lubricated and stored safely away ready for installing in the helicopter.

Now that I have cleaned up the fuselage and made a few minor modifications to allow for the muffler, I have been working on getting the retracts re installed. I don't think the previous owners ever had the undercarriage
correctly set up so that the locks worked as there is wheel interference with the push-rod assembly and the retracts do not lock up or down. I may open the bottom of the wheel skirts and redesign the entire retract drive.

Ron

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 10-28-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The old Raptor.

The new Shuttle works. I've had it installed in the body so I know they will work together.
Or so it tells me in the fine print.

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 10-28-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After a considerable amount of time trying to revive the old retract linkages, I removed the old retracts the servos and the linkages. I have a nice new set of these Horizon Hobbies servo less retracts ordered.
They should be in Tuesday!

HorizonRC.Com Review - E-flite Electric Retracts Make Installation Simple (10 min 0 sec)

Although work on the model has stalled until I get retracts working, I have been doing other minor
fitting and repairs!

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 11-25-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ron, how's the build coming along? I have the same thing planned except I converted my Shuttle to electric. Presently, I'm working on another build, but hope to continue the Airwolf build in a few months.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have acquired a FBL Trex550E and have changed my plans.
The White Shuttle pictured above has be re assembled with the motor and electronics from the original Raptor 30 and is now in flying condition ready to go as a second nitro helicopter.

The E-flite retracts came in on time and they look very nice.
Of course the mounting holes do not line up so I will have to drill new mounting holes.
Other than that I'm very happy with them.

I will complete and fly the Trex this season in it's stock form, get any bugs out of it, while I finish up the fiberglass work on Airwolf body. Then instal the 550 in Airwolf body for 2015 season.

I had to purchase a band saw for my work shop as well as a few other tools so it's tuck away more play money time.

This rebuild is a labor of love guys and is going to take me an extended length of time to complete.

Will post updates!
Ron

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 03-11-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After being stalled for a year and little activity, I have moved the fiberglass fuselage to my work shop. Ground out the old retract mounts, prefabbed new mounts. Now working a little every other day or so on installing the new gear!

All is well Ron
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's the way to do it, just keep plugging away!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
I have acquired a FBL Trex550E and have changed my plans.
The White Shuttle pictured above has be re assembled with the motor and electronics from the original Raptor 30 and is now in flying condition ready to go as a second nitro helicopter.

The E-flite retracts came in on time and they look very nice.
Of course the mounting holes do not line up so I will have to drill new mounting holes.
Other than that I'm very happy with them.

I will complete and fly the Trex this season in it's stock form, get any bugs out of it, while I finish up the fiberglass work on Airwolf body. Then instal the 550 in Airwolf body for 2015 season.

I had to purchase a band saw for my work shop as well as a few other tools so it's tuck away more play money time.

This rebuild is a labor of love guys and is going to take me an extended length of time to complete.

Will post updates!
Ron
hi Imzzaudae
I am gonna start a new scale heli, TREX 550 with Century Bell 222. just want to ask you what e-flight retract do you use for 30 size airwolf?
and how you gonna load lipos into the fuselge?
any build advise or tips appretiated��
hotroad79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in